What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

I'm convinced to give an upgraded handle a try. Although I like my EJ barley, it has decent weight and a solid enough grip for me, my Muhle R41 has something left to be desired in weight/grip but looks good. My Tech could also use some help (its Bakelite - although with my OC experience I may very well PIF it to a noob)...I tried shaving one side of my face with the EJ handle on it, and it made a huge difference. So...more $ will be leaving the wallet/paypal on one of these bad boys. Question is, which one?

BRW get's a ton of love and it's obvious why. It's also obviously unfortunate that isn't an option unless I get extremely lucky. May he RIP.

That leaves me with 3 options I've found: The Tradere, Weber Bulldog and the Ikon Bulldog. From my research, these are the characteristics I've gathered:

Tradere: Longer, less knurling. Matte Finish? (~$45)
Weber: Common 3", 68 grams (2.4oz) makes it the heaviest, 318 stainless marine grade solid steel with a tad more subtle knurling, polished finish (~$38)
Ikon: Common 3", 60 grams (2.1oz), 318 stainless marine grade solid steel with more pronounced knurling, polished finished and the coolest logo I can think of for a razor :punk: ($49)
I will not be buying an handle based on the logo. :lol:

If there are more, please inform me or post some links for me to check out.

Everyone here seems to have a large amount of exposure to at least 1, but seems like 2+ of these options. I'd really appreciate your experiences and help me choose.

Which did you like better? Why? If you've purchased one and sold it, why? I do understand that certain handles will not fit on certain razors, all these listed will work with my current arsenal aside from the LC New on the way...unless?

Thanks in advance for your help BOTOC'rs! May you have a wonderful day in B&B world.

SOTD Tuesday June 12, 2012
proxy.php

Prep: Tepid Water Shower, Brush soaking in cold water.
Razor: Merkur 1904 Open Comb
Blade: SuperMax Super Platinum
Brush: Pre-War German Badger Hair Brush
Soap: VDH
Cream: C.O. Bigelow
AS: Gillette Cool wave
Post: Cold Water Rinse, Naturally Fresh Alum, Second Cold Water Rinse, Double Splash of Cool Wave.

It has been a while since I broke out the Merkur, I really forgot how good it shaves. Took a little more work than the FaTip, but about the same as a Tech. 3 full passes, light buffing and touch-ups on neck for a BBS.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I'm convinced to give an upgraded handle a try. Although I like my EJ barley, it has decent weight and a solid enough grip for me, my Muhle R41 has something left to be desired in weight/grip but looks good. My Tech could also use some help (its Bakelite - although with my OC experience I may very well PIF it to a noob)...I tried shaving one side of my face with the EJ handle on it, and it made a huge difference. So...more $ will be leaving the wallet/paypal on one of these bad boys. Question is, which one?

That leaves me with 3 options I've found: The Tradere, Weber Bulldog and the Ikon Bulldog. From my research, these are the characteristics I've gathered:

Weber: Common 3", 68 grams (2.4oz) makes it the heaviest, 318 stainless marine grade solid steel with a tad more subtle knurling, polished finish (~$38)
Ikon: Common 3", 60 grams (2.1oz), 318 stainless marine grade solid steel with more pronounced knurling, polished finished and the coolest logo I can think of for a razor :punk: ($49)

Everyone here seems to have a large amount of exposure to at least 1, but seems like 2+ of these options. I'd really appreciate your experiences and help me choose.

Which did you like better? Why? If you've purchased one and sold it, why? I do understand that certain handles will not fit on certain razors, all these listed will work with my current arsenal aside from the LC New on the way...unless?

Thanks in advance for your help BOTOC'rs! May you have a wonderful day in B&B world.

attachment.php

I used the Fatip with an Astra blade and Ikon Bulldog handle this morning. As Ken says, the Fatip with an Ikon Bulldog handle is a fantastic combination.

Yep...the ikon is WONDERFUL on the Fatip.....best blades so far in Fatip for me: Super Iridium, Gillette Black, Personna Reds....The Supermax is my go to blade in most razors...but not as smooth in the fatip as the Blacks.....those are a must have combo!!

And RHAD?...Hello....I've got it BAD!!

Check these pics of Rafael, Ufo22 work....had these sent to me yesterday...I posted them on our google page.....great handles!!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Looks like there is a 4th option coming soon.... :biggrin:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Razor handle question ...

I have a BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe XXL with flared end -- four inches in length. Does anyone know the weight of that?

I'm looking at a Tradere stainless handle for my DE89 head because I think the NEW LC will go on the BRW when it is replated. I'm wondering if the weight is close to the same. I don't have a scale. The tradere is listed as 2.5 ounces, 71.5 grams.

I am also wondering if getting a Parker 91R or 98R would be just as nice. They have long, heavy handles and the complete razor is $25-28. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Just finished restoring up an Old Type I recently picked up on BST... Foil and soda, lots of scrubbing with a toothbrush, brasso, washing up liquid, silver polish, Cape Cod polishing cloth, epoxy resin, a clothes peg and a mole grips (to sort out the cracks)...job done! Looking forward to using it tomorrow morning!

$oc1.jpg$oc2.jpg$oc3.jpg$oc4.jpg

Hello all BOTOC members joined up last night!! This place is rockin and rollin sneak away for a couple hours and theres a new page and lots of awesome pics!!

mrchili, awesome clean-up work on the Old Type. The before picture looks like the creature from the black lagoon!

Triad, welcome to the BOTOC!

Thanks! I'm really happy with the way it came out. 'Creature from...' LOL I couldn't wait till tomorrow to test it (just finished). Well, it didn't fall apart (amazing), but it's sooo different from my Single Ring Old...I think there must be more blade exposure because it was skipping quite a bit. Definitely a close shave, but possibly not THE most comfortable. After the second pass I took the blade out, popped into my 'single' , relaxed and got back to a REALLY comfy shave.

mrchili, awesome clean-up work on the Old Type. The before picture looks like the creature from the black lagoon!

Triad, welcome to the BOTOC!

Yes Ken, they are home made cradles. Glued up three pieces of wood overnight and then cut them out on table saw and then used spindle sander. A little Polyurethane and a touch of felt and done.

Very nice!! Now you need to put those wood working skills to test and see if you can make a case like the richwood for those bad boys.....There was a post I seen on here the other day when I was searching of a member that had a friend make him a case....looked awesome...was a little too long, but loved the idea.....

BRW get's a ton of love and it's obvious why. It's also obviously unfortunate that isn't an option unless I get extremely lucky. May he RIP.

I can only speak of the ikon....but I find the ikon to be near perfect on my R41's,( yes all of them) the Fatip and even matted uo to the NEW....it doesn't fit perfectly on the NEW as the baseplate would need some grinding for that be be perfect...but it does work.

The fit, finish and balance are great, as is the knurling....well worth the price of admission if you ask me.

Have I steered you wrong yet? Get the iKon! You know you want it....and the skull goes well with your Harley!!:lol:

Top Bottom