What's new

Breakfast

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It's been yonks since I had alcohol at breakfast time, but not surprisingly it usually was the exact same beverage I had been drinking before falling asleep. I will admit to a few sups of late morning tailgate brandy to fortify me for those blasted Saturday noon college football kickoffs that ESPN mandates.

The problem with drinking before noon is that 2 PM starts to look like bed time.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I never did mention that my homebrew club, the Foam Rangers, has a long time slogan.

We drink more Barleywine by 9 AM than most people drink all day.

And we prove it from time to time.

If I'm going to drink early in the day during my breakfast, then it darn well better match my idea of breakfast foods. I'd do a screwdriver, vodka and OJ, no problem. And the Strawberry Alarmclock sounds pretty delicious as well. Either of those would go wonderfully with my eggs, bacon, oatmeal, yogurt with blueberries and honey or a bagel with cream cheese and lox.

The most hardcore thing I have seen was in my commuting days, Ipswich to London, journey time 1 hour 10 mins. I always caught the 06.42, and usually got my coffee at the station kiosk before boarding but this particular morning I was a bit late and got straight on the train, claimed my usual seat, and went to the buffet car. By this time, it's 06.45.

Guy in front of me, suited and booted (as was I in those days!) ordering a double vodka and tonic. The bar steward, far from being remotely phased greeted the guy by name and exchanged the usual morning pleasantries, so clearly this was a normal routine!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Today is my 35th Anniversary. The only thing in the house to drink this morning is $50 bottle of French Champagne, 2 shots of Texas vodka and a can of Amber Ale. We put the champagne in the frig for tonight and drank the vodka and beer together with a spritze of lime. Not bad.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I’ll have some coffee now.

Later on I’ll have a cocktail.

Whiskey-cocktail-old-fashioned.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The most hardcore thing I have seen was in my commuting days, Ipswich to London, journey time 1 hour 10 mins. I always caught the 06.42, and usually got my coffee at the station kiosk before boarding but this particular morning I was a bit late and got straight on the train, claimed my usual seat, and went to the buffet car. By this time, it's 06.45.

Guy in front of me, suited and booted (as was I in those days!) ordering a double vodka and tonic. The bar steward, far from being remotely phased greeted the guy by name and exchanged the usual morning pleasantries, so clearly this was a normal routine!!
I've known guys who maintain a slight state of inebriation all day and night. They're seldom if ever seen really drunk, but they start the day with a large one and then they take another large whiskey or vodka every hour or so all day long. From the little bit I've read about Winston Churchill he drank in a similar fashion each day, though his drink of choice changed several times through the day.

My grandfather started the day off at 0500 every morning with a "red rooster" Schlitz beer and snappy toms mixed together and the proceeded to drink a case to a case and a half of Schlitz throughout the rest of the day while raising livestock and farming.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Happy anniversary, @DoctorShavegood!

I was introduced to Mimosa's on a a flight from LA to Auckland and they remain my favorite breakfast alcohol...

It's often one of my favorites, too, especially when they are mixed 2 parts sparkling wine and 1 part orange juice. Any more orange juice, and it's too sweet for me, and they start getting cloying. You have to watch yourself a little more when they are mixed that way, but I'd rather have a few fewer good ones than more lousy ones.

There's a place around here that has a great weekend brunch. For a while, they had a bottomless mimosa for a fairly nice price, and they pretty much mixed them that way. Those were some good times!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Happy anniversary, @DoctorShavegood!

It's often one of my favorites, too, especially when they are mixed 2 parts sparkling wine and 1 part orange juice. Any more orange juice, and it's too sweet for me, and they start getting cloying. You have to watch yourself a little more when they are mixed that way, but I'd rather have a few fewer good ones than more lousy ones.

There's a place around here that has a great weekend brunch. For a while, they had a bottomless mimosa for a fairly nice price, and they pretty much mixed them that way. Those were some good times!
Thanks Doak. Sittin' out on the back porch, drinkin' champagne under the mister. Ferrel cats in the corner of the yard guarding things.

Top Bottom