What's new

BradWorld's Shave Journal

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Home RV SOTD

I have a 1985 Black Handle Super Speed with the rectangular baseplate inbound. It has been said that this particular configuration of the last gen Super Speed is quite a bit more efficient than most others. It apparently rivals the Red Tip.

Well I have a Red Tip, and dont recall it being any more efficient than any other Super Speed. I find Super Speeds fun to use, and very nostalgic. When I was about 5 or 7 years old, my paternal grandfather taught me how to shave with a Super Speed with no blade installed. So I always have love for the lowly Super Speed. And I wish that I had those Super Speeds that belonged to my grandfather. But they were tossed out many years ago unfortunately.

So I broke out the Red Tip today. I used the king of all blades. The vintage Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade. This blade has been providing remarkable shaves so far. With excellent sharpness, and amazing smoothness. My old tub of Passiflora. Paladin Lotus badger. And The Holy Black vampire Hunter splash. The top shelf stuff without a doubt.

The Red Tip was meh. Enjoyable. No doubt. Super mild and fun to use, like any Super Speed. But it does leave me with some light scratchy remainders on my challenging areas, like the jaw line, and the swirling spots on my neck.

So there you have it! The Red Tip is no miracle of shaving adventure. It is just the same as a regular old Super Speed. At least to me anyway. I am very excited to try the 1985 Super Speed and see if it is the beasty that people say it is. I doubt it. But sometimes the chase is more fun than the catch! :)

Stay smooth gents!

2024-04-24 12.28.12.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thank you for this, I was debating on snagging a Red Tip, but I already have a few Super Speeds and a Rocket 500 HD, all seem similar, this saves me a purchase, I think, hope, we shall see.

The one thing that sets the Red Tip apart for me is the thickness of the handle. Not sure if it is perception or reality. I have not measured. But the handle always seems thicker.

There is no doubt that the Rocket 500 is a more efficient razor than this. But not by much.

If you want to try a Super Speed variant that has the potential to be more efficient for you, try the 1941 Range Tech. It is the father of the Super Speed. They only made it briefly for two different years, spread apart by WWII. 1941 an 1946. The only difference is the 1946 has endcaps and the 1941 does not.

Also i find the 1947 Super Speed to have a more efficient shave. This is the only Super Speed without the blade grabbing notches in the center bar. The head is indeed similar to the Ranger Tech.

Lastly, dont forget about the wonderful open-comb Super Speed variants, the Senator, and whatever else it was called in the opposite finish color. :) It is quite a nice step up from the Super Speed efficiency level.

Hope that helps!

The one thing that sets the Red Tip apart for me is the thickness of the handle. Not sure if it is perception or reality. I have not measured. But the handle always seems thicker.

There is no doubt that the Rocket 500 is a more efficient razor than this. But not by much.

If you want to try a Super Speed variant that has the potential to be more efficient for you, try the 1941 Range Tech. It is the father of the Super Speed. They only made it briefly for two different years, spread apart by WWII. 1941 an 1946. The only difference is the 1946 has endcaps and the 1941 does not.

Also i find the 1947 Super Speed to have a more efficient shave. This is the only Super Speed without the blade grabbing notches in the center bar. The head is indeed similar to the Ranger Tech.

Lastly, dont forget about the wonderful open-comb Super Speed variants, the Senator, and whatever else it was called in the opposite finish color. :) It is quite a nice step up from the Super Speed efficiency level.

Hope that helps!
So much for not buying another razor, haha. But really, thanks for all the valuable information.

Top Bottom