What's new

BradWorld's Shave Journal

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
A shave journal is something that I should have been keeping all along. I dont know why I didn't have one. But now is as good of a time as any to start one!

With a huge arsenal of shaving gear and software, I will document my shaves here. If I can help even one person figure out one little detail of their shaves, then this will be a success.

I will also write about some legacy shaves as well. There have been some amazing razors that have come in and out of my den. And even though I may not have them any more, they will deserve mention here.

As an every 2 to 3 day shaver, I tend to stick to the more aggressive and efficient razors now. And I normally use a DE razor. But that wasn't always the case. For years I was a mild razor aficionado. I preferred blade neutral mild razors for every shave. Tech's, DE89, Game Changers, etc. I amassed a sizable collection of vintage DE's, GEM's, Injectors, and AC razors looking for that smooth mild shave. I had a bunch of more aggressive razors too, but I didn't use them too much because of the irritation etc. I loved the close shave results, but didn't need the drama. But then I learned how to shave steep! (Thanks @Hannah's Dad!) And that changed everything. I had begun to seek out more and more efficiency from my razors, which led me down a different road. Maybe not a better road, but definitely a more expensive road. And this hobby became more enjoyable.

So stick around for a while. Enjoy my writing. And maybe pick up a tidbit of info every now and again.

Stay smooth!

~Bradworld

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My first shave for this Journal was a beauty! Super smooth and super close. This one put a real smile on my face.

Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.55
Blade: Gillette Light Blue Platinum (3)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3
Soap & Splash: B&M Nordost

The Wolfman 1.55 is a beast of a razor. It has about as much blade feel as I can tolerate. But yet it is super smooth. It does the best job on the swirling flat-growing challenging spots on my neck and jaw line. But that comes with a small price. I tend to get a small weeper or two. Not much drama. No lasting irritation or skin damage. But some day I will get past that as well. Its a great razor with A+ results for me.

The Light Blue Platinum is new for me. This is my first one ever. I have three shaves on it now, and initial impressions are that it is as good as any blade I have ever used. Looking forward to getting a lot more shaving in with this blade. I bought 100 of them!

The Duke 3 is a rare player in my SOTD. Ever since buying my first Paladin, I have not been happy using any other badger brush. But everyone needs a classic Simpson brush, so i kept this one. I have not used it in a couple of years. But since this is Simpson week on the SOTD thread, I took it out for Monday's shave. I was really surprised at how well it performed! So I gave it another cameo appearance today. Excellent brush.

And to top it off, the Nordost Omnibus is as good as it gets. I love the Omnibus base. Its a real game changer. And I love everything ORANGE. So its a win-win for me! I will be rubbing and smelling my face all day!

Happy holidays to those that celebrate! And stay smooth!

2022-07-02 10.57.24.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
My first shave for this Journal was a beauty! Super smooth and super close. This one put a real smile on my face.

Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.55
Blade: Gillette Light Blue Platinum (3)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3
Soap & Splash: B&M Nordost

The Wolfman 1.55 is a beast of a razor. It has about as much blade feel as I can tolerate. But yet it is super smooth. It does the best job on the swirling flat-growing challenging spots on my neck and jaw line. But that comes with a small price. I tend to get a small weeper or two. Not much drama. No lasting irritation or skin damage. But some day I will get past that as well. Its a great razor with A+ results for me.

The Light Blue Platinum is new for me. This is my first one ever. I have three shaves on it now, and initial impressions are that it is as good as any blade I have ever used. Looking forward to getting a lot more shaving in with this blade. I bought 100 of them!

The Duke 3 is a rare player in my SOTD. Ever since buying my first Paladin, I have not been happy using any other badger brush. But everyone needs a classic Simpson brush, so i kept this one. I have not used it in a couple of years. But since this is Simpson week on the SOTD thread, I took it out for Monday's shave. I was really surprised at how well it performed! So I gave it another cameo appearance today. Excellent brush.

And to top it off, the Nordost Omnibus is as good as it gets. I love the Omnibus base. Its a real game changer. And I love everything ORANGE. So its a win-win for me! I will be rubbing and smelling my face all day!

Happy holidays to those that celebrate! And stay smooth!

View attachment 1481834
Outstanding first journal entry, Brad! I’ll be watching this thread regularly.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
July 4th 2022

Today's shave features the 2nd Generation Charcoal Goods Level 2 in Copper... the coolest of metals. This razor is incredibly smooth and comfortable, while providing a highly efficient close shave. Its a winner of a razor in every respect.

As a huge fan of the vintage British London Bridge blades made by Wilkinson Sword circa the 1970's, I just had to try the Gillette London Bridge Blades made in the Shanghai factory. I am guessing this is the same factory where the Shanghai Wilkinson Swords are made, and thus the tie-in to the old Wilky London Bridge branding. Well, this is my very first shave ever with this blade, and it is excellent! A great match for the CG Level 2! Nice and smooth and great sharpness. I am very impressed with this blade after one shave. Leaps and bounds better than the Shanghai Wilkinson Swords!

B&M 42 shave soap has been my number one favorite since the days of the Glissant base. I love the scent profile. I love the connection to a classic sci-fi novel and movie. And I love the performance. This new Omnibus set with the matching balm is phenomenal. The Omnibus base only makes this soap even better than it was. Although the modified "hardened" Soft Heat version is just about as good. Both bases complement each other very well. The Omnibus is high definition with a thick gooey lather. While the Soft Heart is more of a traditional slick and fluffy lather. Both version are top notch. Did I mention 42 is number one in my den? :)

The results of today's shave were top notch. Most excellent! Happy Independence Day everyone! And Stay smooth!

2022-07-04 11.37.44.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Wed July 6, 2022

Today I used a razor that costs less than $10. It’s the Snmirn razor from Amazon. A Chinese razor that isn’t an exact copy of the Futur, but most people call it the “Baby Futur” anyway. This one has some range to the adjuster. I started my first pass on 3 and it was super mild. Moved it to 5 after 2 strokes, and it got a little toothy. Some blade feel. Some chatter. It didn’t feel comfortable. So after a couple more strokes I opened it up to the max setting of 8, and continued with the rest of my three pass shave. The blade chatter subsided, and I got a nice close comfy shave.

The results were very good. Definitely excellent for a sub-$10 razor. Plus it came with a nice solid stand, a leatherette travel pouch, and blades. The quality of this razor is high. Blade alignment was perfect out of the box. The razor felt hefty and nimble at the same time. I like it!

B&M Gothique, 2022 Contributor's brush, a vintage Schick blade, and Clubman rounded out the setup. Overall an excellent shave.

901D43AD-795A-4B2F-9C29-747FB5D63D3F.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Saturday July 23

Starting Shark Week today. It's an Arko Sharko Travel shave in fact. I brought an ERA with 3 toothy plates. Last week I told someone that has an ERA with Level 5 SB and OC plates that it probably was not worth getting the lower plates if they were happy with the Level 5's. So I decided to put my money where my mouth was. I brought Open Comb plates in Levels 3, 4 and 5.

Since I usually use the Level 5, today I bumped it down to a Level 4 OC. Well, this was a top shelf shave. Terrific.

As a participant in the Shark Week Blade Challenge, I used a Jaws blade. Not only have I never used one before, I have never even heard of a Jaws blade. So this was a first. The blade was smooth and sharp, and mowed down 5 days of growth without any issues.

There was no blood in the water today.

The other participants in today's event were Arko, STF 23 mm and Clubman Brandy Spice aftershave.

20220723_105637.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Wed July 27
Arko Sharko Travel Shave.

Today I went back the ERA beginnings and revisited the very first baseplate I tried way back when this razor was released. The Level 3 OC. Not a bad shave with a Shark Super Stainless. Not bad at all. Not the best result. Barely into DFS territory. But smooth and comfortable.

20220727_082331.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Sun July 31
Arko Sharko Travel Shave

ERA Level 5 OC
Arko
STF 23 mm
Shark Platinum
Clubman

First try with the Shark Platunum. More of a Shart than a Shark. Very Tuggy. Very rough and uncomfortable. Decent DFS+ results. But it was not a blade I want to use again. I like the Sharks in the Yellow paper better. Although no Shark blades have made it into my rotation.

968018AD-9E2C-4F65-9C6D-44BE0B6FBF96.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Wed 8/3

I have been traveling, so my shaves have been spread out much more than usual. I am actually home for one day... today. Back out on the road again tomorrow. So time to get a nice shave!

There has been a lot of chat about the Charcoal Goods Stinger this past week. I happen to have one. So I figured while I was home, I would break it out. It is one of my very favorite razors! Super smooth, and very efficient. Mine is a Gen 1 Level 2. And it is a great razor! It is so sad that they dont make them like this any more. That new Stinger handle just doesnt look right.

I used a brush today that is somewhat new to me. I have had it a while, but I have less than 5 shaves on it. I think it really needs to get some shaves under its belt and break in a bunch more. But it is looking to be a stellar brush even in these early stages. Its Paladin Cleo in Briar. And its quite a looker. Feels great too! I bought it on the BST, but it must have a very few shaves from the prior owner. This brush is just starting to break in now. But just take a look at the grain in that handle. Its hard to believe that is resin and not wood!

Blade was a light blue Platinum. Soap and balm were B&M's Leviathan. I finished it all off with some B&M Full Measure of Man splash.

Overall an excellent top notch shave. DFS+ results. Extremely satisfying.

2022-08-03 09.45.00.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Travel Shave 8/6

Rare carry-on travel shave. Bic Metal, Arko, Stf 23 mm. Finished up with a dab of aveno lotion for a balm. I don't carry-on often. But when I do, I usually grab a Bic Metal or a Guard. The Metal is a better option for me, as the non-pivoting head behaves more like an injector, and allows me to control my preferred steep angle. Decent shave today! DFS. Solid.

20220806_095539.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Travel Shave 8/6

Rare carry-on travel shave. Bic Metal, Arko, Stf 23 mm. Finished up with a dab of aveno lotion for a balm. I don't carry-on often. But when I do, I usually grab a Bic Metal or a Guard. The Metal is a better option for me, as the non-pivoting head behaves more like an injector, and allows me to control my preferred steep angle. Decent shave today! DFS. Solid.

View attachment 1500356
The BIC Metal is a solid carry-on travel choice. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I’ve been on the road. So my Wolfman Razors have been neglected. Since I’m home for one full day, I thought it would be nice to break out the WR2 1.15. Top tier razor. Super smooth and very efficient. Tossed in a new Platinum. Lathered my Passiflora with a Rudy Vey 2022 STF. Finished off with Passiflora balm and splash. Excellent shave today.

7717CD7E-10DD-4DE3-856F-F22A20B1D11D.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Sat 8/13. Travel shave. Clearwater FL.

I can never seem to do a two pass shave. Every time I try, I keep going and do that third pass. Most times, that is a good thing. But in that rare occasion it is not. Today would have been one of those days. I’m down in Florida where it is currently very hot and extremely humid. And we will be spending lots of time outside in the heat and sun. On days like this, I find that if I shave, my neck gets all red and irritated from the extra heat and sweat. Well, I had too much scruff to let it go. About four days worth. So I set my mind to do a mild two pass shave. And I did. I am proud of my perseverance! 😜 I can’t say I’ve ever achieved this feat in the past. But today I did it. I really miss the closeness of that third pass. Especially in the neck areas. But I will thank myself later. I know I will!

ERA level 4 OC. STF. Arko. Jaws Blade. Clubman.

EA60746B-826E-4F95-B9B0-81BB33FB352D.jpeg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Fri 8/19/2022

There was some healthy discussion recently on a thread comparing the WR1 to the WR2. Since my last Wolfman shave was with a WR2, I pulled out the WR1 .80 OC for today's shave. This razor never disappoints. It is extremely effective for me. It is not as smooth or luxurious as a WR2. But it really is a fun razor to use. I have gotten to the point where I no longer need to be very careful with this razor to get a smooth and blood free shave. And today was no exception. The new light blue box Platinum blade is a stellar match for this configuration. The full B&M "42" kit as perfect as well. A++ shave today!

2022-08-19 11.29.57.jpg

Top Bottom