What's new

Bowls and Mugs and Scuttles, oh my!

C

Crossett

I like the "zenness" of my bowl.

proxy.php

5" across, 2" deep

$20, not cheap but not terribly expensive.

you can get them here

http://www.khanimports.com/natstonbow.html

Don't want to seem ignorant but what's a scuttle?

There are two kinds. Originally, a scuttle was a specialized shaving mug which allowed one to pour boiling water into the base to dip his brush into, and which held a puck of soap up top. One simply poured scalding water into the bottom from his kettle, and was good to go for a shave. These are still being made, an example being the ones sold here
but available cheaper elsewhere (my first one was found at a thrift store for less than $2)
The second type, wildly popular now, is a new invention of Dr. Chris Moss (yes, the same guy over on SMF) and produced by Sara Bonnyman and is only available here. It is not intended to use as a lather creating bowl, but rather for when you lather on your face, the lathered brush should fit in the top of the scuttle snugly enough for the hot water in the bottom to keep your lather nice and hot.
Hope this helps.
John P.

I tried a hot/cold dip server as a skuttle substitute recently. Got it on eBay for ~ $8 + shipping. It has two bowls that are very heavy stoneware. The bottom bowl is about 6 inches deep and 5 inches wide. Top bowl was about 4inches by 1 or 1.5 inches deep. I found out two things; 4X1.5 is not big enough for me to lather in and the hot water in my house is not hot enough to keep lather warm the whole shave. I went back to my $.56 Wal-Mart bowl in my 30+ year old crock pot. I would have been upset if I had spent $50 on a Moss Skuttle and then found out I'd still have to heat water separately and it wasn't big enough to lather in.

Norm

attachment.php

Top Bottom