What's new

Boston red sox?

The beards seem to be working for The Division Leading Seven Time World Series Champion Boston Red Sox. Where are the rays? Nine games back and clinging to a wild card spot.

The beards seem to be working for The Division Leading Seven Time World Series Champion Boston Red Sox. Where are the rays? Nine games back and clinging to a wild card spot.

You are correct and I have already conceded that point. The Rays may go down, but they will go down with class. Now, take four time world champion and eleven time American League penant winning Detroit Tigers. I was born and grew up in Detroit. I now live in Lakeland, Florida, spring training home of the Tigers and home of the Class A minor league Lakeland Tigers (owned by Detroit). So, I am as much of a Tiger fan as I am a Rays fan. The Tigers also have a lot of class. I predict that they will not only destroy the red sox in the playoffs, but they will easily win the World Series. With their power hitting, excellent defense, and almost unhitable pitching, they are practically unbeatable.
ct

I have no interest in the AL East and I'm not making any predictions, but a nine game lead can easily be lost during the month of September. Remember September 2011?

I'm a fan of the Forty Time American League, and Twenty Seven Time World Series champions, the New York Yankees. We may miss the playoffs this year, but we could stop playing baseball completely for a few decades, before anyone comes close to catching up to those numbers. Just keep that in mind before you start throwing around numbers. :p

Ah yes, the yankees. They have had the best teams that money could buy.
"...we could stop playing baseball for a few decades." That would be nice.
ct

Last edited:
Envy is an ugly, ugly thing. :-D

Seems that's what this thread is all about. I concede the Yankees' decades of greatness. Numbers don't lie. Heck, I even like a couple of them: Jeter and Rivera are class gentlemen, no doubt about it. As for the team that was labeled being without class, they will be honoring Mr Rivera's career at Fenway tonight. Red Sox fans are baseball fans, and they know greatness when they see it. Rivera owned the Sox, and everyone else, for many seasons.

$MemeCenter_1379434903922_97.jpg

OK, leading off, I'm a Red Sox fan. I also have tons of respect for the Rays players and the organization.

So what's with the red sox and this unkempt scruffy look? They have the worst collection of horrible looking beards I have ever seen. What an embarrassment to Major League Baseball. Also, the majority of them wear dirty uniforms that have obviously been worn in at least one previous game. Most of their uniforms are baggy and ill fitting. What is their appearance saying to our youth?

Heh, I didn't realize that baseball players have this grave and serious obligation to the Youth of America. Also, I know about the Youth of Boston and they love this team! I would say that this team, this abomination, is a much better example of a team play than last year's miserable and nasty clubhouse, where no one spoke to each other and no played with any joy and love of the game. As a parent of young children, I would rather have scruffy bearded weirdos who love to play the game and support their teammates as role models than a bunch of malcontents who couldn't care less.

And as someone later pointed out, I guess that makes every playoff NHL team with their playoff beards also the same sort of corrosive agent to our youth.

They also display bad manners and tend to play dirty with no respect for the other teams.

I would love to see what evidence you have to support this. I guess you could say that Uehara "shows up" whatever team he is pitching against by high-fiving everyone, which he has been doing ever since he came into the league, but I have been following this team all year and I can't remember a single time this team has had anything approaching "bad manners" or "playing dirty." Maybe Dempster throwing at ARod? But even his own teammates didn't support him then. But I have not once heard or seen any mean-spirited comments or dirty play.

One breath of fresh air is that though they may win their division, they will be totally destroyed in the playoffs by the Detroit Tigers. I also predict that the tigers, the best team in baseball, will go on to win the World Series.

Hmmm, the Sox are 5 clear of the Tigers, own the tie-breaker and have both in short series and over the course of the season proven themselves to be the better team. Also, talk about "role models;" Miguel Cabrera, the face of the Tigers, only two years ago was arrested for domestic abuse and had a BAC of 0.26. Personally, I don't think that is any more relevant to the discussion as beards and some vague accusations of "bad manners" and "dirty play."

Now, contrast the red sox with the Tampa Bay Rays. There is a team with class. The Rays are always neat and if they have facial hair it is neatly trimmed. They are gentlemen on the field and they are honest in their play. They should make the Wild Card, and who knows, they may do quite well in the play offs. I wish them the best. The Rays are great role models for children and many of them are regular visitors to All Children's Hospital in St. Petetsburg, Florida. Need I say more?
cottontop

More about what? Are you implying that the Rays contribute back to their community and the Red Sox don't? Because that is patently untrue.

Last edited:
Beards are part of sports now, the sox werent the first, I do seem to recall a pitcher in San Fran with one hell of a mop on his face, and no one seemed to mind that.

Heh, actually the history of facial hair and baseball is pretty interesting. Up until the late 60's, every team prohibited facial hair. Then Charlie O. Finley, the owner of the KC/Oakland A's gave every player a financial incentive: if they could grow facial hair and keep it until Memorial Day (I believe) they would get a bonus. He wanted to increase the team's recognition (he also made all the players wear white shoes, had an elephant throw out the first pitch, and wanted MLB to use day-glo baseballs and base paths). On Memorial Day, almost immediately after getting the bonus, the majority of the players shaved, but many held on, like Rollie Fingers, Goose Gossage, and Reggie Jackson.

Josh, you make some good points. I would have to say that I have to agree based on the fact that all of this is pretty much opinion and there is little fact to substantiate much of it. I live in central Florida so I am a Rays fan. I was born and raised in Detroit, so I am also a Tiger fan. The Tigers winter (spring training) home is right here in Lakeland, Florida so there are many Tiger fans here. So, if the Rays don't make it, I support the Tigers and viseversa. You are welcome to your opinions and I am holding fast to mine. I am not going to try to support all of my opinions with some facts that do not exist. And, I am not trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking like some sports world evangelist. I just do not like the red sox nor the way they look and play regardless of who did what in past history. I agree that hockey players are not the best of role models either. We all have our favorite teams and our favorite teams to despise and that is sports; the way it is, the way it will be, and the way it has always been. I'll bet there is something that we can both agree on: I also hate the yankees, and I'll bet that you do too (from what I can gather, boston fans hate the yankees and yankee fans hate the red sox).
ct

You guys are raining all over my Pirates parade, ease up, eh? For a poor Pirates fan like me, this is the greatest season in the history of the world!!! The last time they had a year like this, I had just joined the Air Force. I could have retired with 20 years in last year.

You guys are raining all over my Pirates parade, ease up, eh? For a poor Pirates fan like me, this is the greatest season in the history of the world!!! The last time they had a year like this, I had just joined the Air Force. I could have retired with 20 years in last year.

Plus the Royals are contending!

For a poor Pirates fan like me, this is the greatest season in the history of the world!!!
I know. For me, the day they won their 82nd game was like I imagine it to be when your team wins a championship. Pirates clinched a playoff spot and can still catch St. Louis for the division title. What a great year!

Top Bottom