What's new

Boston red sox?

So what's with the red sox and this unkempt scruffy look? They have the worst collection of horrible looking beards I have ever seen. What an embarrassment to Major League Baseball. Also, the majority of them wear dirty uniforms that have obviously been worn in at least one previous game. Most of their uniforms are baggy and ill fitting. What is their appearance saying to our youth? They also display bad manners and tend to play dirty with no respect for the other teams. And what's with this Pedroia and all of those stupid looking faces he is constantly making? One breath of fresh air is that though they may win their division, they will be totally destroyed in the playoffs by the Detroit Tigers. I also predict that the tigers, the best team in baseball, will go on to win the World Series.

Now, contrast the red sox with the Tampa Bay Rays. There is a team with class. The Rays are always neat and if they have facial hair it is neatly trimmed. They are gentlemen on the field and they are honest in their play. They should make the Wild Card, and who knows, they may do quite well in the play offs. I wish them the best. The Rays are great role models for children and many of them are regular visitors to All Children's Hospital in St. Petetsburg, Florida. Need I say more?
cottontop

Don't like the Red Sox, do you? Subtle hints lead me to believe you are simply hating on them. There are some ugly beards, though!

It's funny you mention the Sox beards. I was watching the end of the game with the Rays last night and my wife mentioned the ugly beards the Sox players sported. She also said she was glad that Langoria and Myers shaved and looked decent.

Many athletes think that unshaved look looks good. It has even reached some of the golf professionals.

I recall that at one time the Yankees had a dress code that ruled out long hair and beards.

It's funny you mention the Sox beards. I was watching the end of the game with the Rays last night and my wife mentioned the ugly beards the Sox players sported. She also said she was glad that Langoria and Myers shaved and looked decent.

Many athletes think that unshaved look looks good. It has even reached some of the golf professionals.

I recall that at one time the Yankees had a dress code that ruled out long hair and beards.

Not at one time. Currently. Players on the Yankees are not permitted to have facial hair other than a mustache, or hair that touches the collar of the jersey.

Personally, I think that the Yankee rules are part of the reason the Red Sox look the way they do. It is a very intense rivalry, and by being the team of unkempt beard-y dudes, they give themselves the anti-Yankee image.

Of course, I'm a Yankees fan, so who knows?

in recent years the sox seem to be in constant pursuit of the dirt-dog look. they do it to distinguish themselves from the spit-shine yankees.

to me, their current costume evokes an image of Amish powerlifters.

Beards a disrespect to the league?? I respectfully disagree, but I am also a red sox fan!!...(my wife hates it tho and she is a sox fan)

You site the TB Rays as a fine example of a team and their uniform?? How then do you explain Fernando Rodney and HIS CAP!!

That i feel is a disrespect to the uniform...and the game...it looks idiotic on the field...do what you want off the field (still think it is a stupid way to wear a hat), but on the green, keep it straight!

$rodney030813-2.jpg

proxy.php

Fernando Rodney wears his hat crooked to one side in memory of his late father who wore his hat that way. His father also encouraged him to work hard and persue his dream of becoming a major league ball player. It is not often that one can respect the memory of one's father after he has passed away. Rodney does it and as he says his father is always with him while he pitches.

On the other hand, in whose memory is Pedroia making these stupid faces for? If he has some illness like Tourets Syndrome, then forgive me. That I can understand.
cottontop

Did not know that about Rodney. He has a fantastic year last year and has a wonderful attitude. I have seen him at many Ray games signing autographs for kids - and always with a big smile.

You are correct Jim. Rodney is a guy with class, just as are all of the other Rays; from manager Joe Maddon, to the coaches and all of the players. This cannot be said for the red sox or the yankees.
cottontop

proxy.php

Fernando Rodney wears his hat crooked to one side in memory of his late father who wore his hat that way. His father also encouraged him to work hard and persue his dream of becoming a major league ball player. It is not often that one can respect the memory of one's father after he has passed away. Rodney does it and as he says his father is always with him while he pitches.

On the other hand, in whose memory is Pedroia making these stupid faces for? If he has some illness like Tourets Syndrome, then forgive me. That I can understand.
cottontop
Gentleman,

I can indeed respect that, and if this is indeed the reason, I can take my statement back.

Still I have seen other ball players do it, and I still don't like it in general (eg CC Sabathia, I believe is another crooked hat ball player, and am suprised the yankees org lets him get away with it.)

I also see plenty of our "youth" wearing caps like that, and have even seen them manufactured with the bill to the side...maybe I am old school, but it just makes you look like a dolt. (with all due respect for Rodney's father, of course)

That looks like a bogus cropped photo as I have seen that same picture without the gatoraide cup. Nice try though.
ct

found this article..seems like it is for the memory of his father yes, but not for the way his dad wore his hat...

"So in 2002, when his son first took the mound in the major leagues, he turned his hat until it rested crooked on his head to honor his dad's approach to life."Something inside me, the joy, tells me to wear it that way," Fernando Rodney said. "It makes me sad that he didn't see me in the major leagues with my hat that way. It says, 'Have fun.' "

So his Dad's approach to life was to have fun, seems like the Red Sox are having fun this year playing a game they love, after a season or two of not having fun playing the game...so you gonna deny them that....?? At least using Rodney's reasoning? I think Rodney could have fun in other ways other than putting on his uniform wrong.

http://tbo.com/list/sports-columns-mfennelly/hats-off-to-rays-rodney-who-makes-most-of-chance-399767

BTW, the article I read said that Rodney said his late father wore his hat that way. I guess it depends on which sports writer you want to believe. Nonetheless, he is still doing it out of respect for his dad, and not because he wants to look like a thug.
ct

I dont think the sox want to look like thugs.

Can we try to keep this gentleman-like, Come-one i mean no disrespect, baseball without rivalry and banter between fans is no fun, but this is just starting to sound like sour-grapes...

Beards are part of sports now, the sox werent the first, I do seem to recall a pitcher in San Fran with one hell of a mop on his face, and no one seemed to mind that. Playoff beards in hockey?? I love that tradition too...
Big Boys playing a kids game....they are having fun, and thats all that matters..and if thats why Rodney is doing it, I will let it go...you can too...

truce?

Top Bottom