What's new

Best brush for soap

OK fellas,

I realize that this is all STRICTLY personal opinion...

But I'm curious - what is your PERFECT soap brush?

I'll say, whatever brush I am using at the time. I have had success with Badger (Silvertip and 2 band and basic), Synthetic and Boar. Great answer I know. :001_smile

I've settled on synthetics for everything. Hard soap, firm soap, soft soap, cream; no matter what it's a synthetic brush for me. Specifically a Muhle STF most of the time.

High-end badgers definitely have a feel all their own that synthetic can't replicate, but they also take longer to dry and require more product. They also need to be soaked.

For me, I prefer the ease of use that synthetics provide.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The best for loading soap would be SOC Mistura and Semogue Barbear Português Limited Edition 2023.

But honestly, I'm only saving a few seconds over my other brushes.

If we're talking about making lather I have quite a few favorites, including a Wald synthetic and SOC TNE LE boar - so I find no particular advantage to badger, boar or synthetic as a class of brush, although given my current collection I'd pick badger if forced to name a favorite.

There is no perfect brush for me. I like a fair amount of backbone - but not too much, and definitely soft tips - which can be diametrically opposed to the whole backbone thing, and a comfortable handle - pretty would be nice, and I really like a brush that doesn't like to fling soap around the bathroom. All my favorites are very close, with slight variations on each of my desired characteristics. Fortunately, I've learned to live without perfection - pretty darn good gets me by.

I have 2 silver tip badger brushes. Enjoy them both. Not having ever used a lesser badger or a synthetic, I can't compare. I did use a boar brush, but that was over 50 years ago and my memory of it is useless.

My first choice is a Muhle STF synthetic brush. I have tried badger brushes that came highly recommended and I prefer the Muhle STF synthetic brushes, by a long shot. I have a 25 mm knot and a 23 mm knot.

Brushes Muhle.JPG

I've settled on synthetics for everything. Hard soap, firm soap, soft soap, cream; no matter what it's a synthetic brush for me. Specifically a Muhle STF most of the time.

High-end badgers definitely have a feel all their own that synthetic can't replicate, but they also take longer to dry and require more product. They also need to be soaked.

For me, I prefer the ease of use that synthetics provide.
I agree with you 100%.

I assume that by “soap” you mean hard soaps such as Mitchell’s Wool Fat. In which case my best brush, is my collections boar brush. A Wilkinson Sword Classic, although it also eats the most soap out of all my brushes. That said synthetic brushes are also quite good these days. My best hard soap synthetic has got to be my Simpsons Classic C1 (synth) followed by my Simpsons Trafalgar T1.

Edit: for the benefit of those who have difficulty loading a hard soap. Here is how I load a hard soap onto my brushes:
  1. Fill a Scuttle with hot water
  2. Put brush into the scuttle
  3. Leave the brush to soak for a couple of minutes
  4. Remove brush from scuttle
  5. Without squeezing of shaking the brush, begin loading the brush
  6. Once the lather has reached the required consistency, proceed with face lathering​
Admittedly this is more of a boar brush tactic, and the synths may waste various amounts of lather. But I have never had difficulty with lathering hard soaps with this tactic.

Last edited:
I’ve used all kinds of shaving brush and all of them handle hard soaps and soft creams perfectly well. I never bought into the idea of using harder brushes for hard soaps and softer brushes for creams. My favourite kind of brush is my favourite regardless of soap, and for me that’s a soft, high-lofted silvertip. I often choose a firmer brush if my stubble is long - somehow it seems like they handle the rougher stubble better and get under the hair - but my brush choice is never to do with soap type.

OK. For me the answer is badger. Now in that category I tend toward 2-band (especially Shavemac) with Simpsons super grade a close second!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I have found no benefit in soaking a badger brush and so I do not do it, and nor do a good many others. There are also many people who, for various reasons, soak synthetic brushes. Soaking or not soaking any brush is a personal choice, not a requirement 👍

A badger brush that has been soaked definitely has a different feel from one that hasn't. At least from my experience. It's very similar to how our whiskers get softer after a shower or hot water bath compared to just shaving with no prep.

The biggest difference between a badger and a synthetic is that the badger hair becomes heftier and holds on to water after a soak whereas the synthetic doesn't change its characteristics whether it has been soaked or just run under the faucet.

My ultimate preference would be a soaked badger, but given the extra soap required, longer drying time, and the quality of some synthetics, I mostly use a Muhle STF.

YMMV as always. 🍻

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
They all load differently, process the lather and release it differently, and therefore need handling differently for best results. While I prefer scrubber brushes for hard soaps (regardless of bristle type), I can still get a good lather from soap with a lower backbone brush. Just not as quickly.

I have found no benefit in soaking a badger brush and so I do not do it, and nor do a good many others. There are also many people who, for various reasons, soak synthetic brushes. Soaking or not soaking any brush is a personal choice, not a requirement 👍

I do not soak any of my brushes once they are broken in.
Boar brushes get the soaking in room temperature water overnight and then drying treatment when they are new, but once they are broken in and the hairs have split they get the same treatment as all my brushes.

I used to soak boar for 2-3 minutes, but found it did not make any noticeable difference.

As far as the original question is concerned; I like badger, boar and synthetic brushes, but if I take only one brush (e.g. travelling) I found that quality synthetics are the perfect all-rounders.

B.

Top Bottom