What's new

Ban the user above you!

Boomer is View attachment 1734382 because Ankerwycke can't be a Hoser...he's not even Canadian.

proxy.php

proxy.php
"
Thank you Count. All I did was point out a basic spelling mistake to wotsisname. I’m no Hoser.
As a purveyor of fine goods and combustibles to the gentry I don’t hoe anyone anything.

Attachments

• IMG_5699.jpg
    IMG_5699.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Thank you Count. All I did was point out a basic spelling mistake to wotsisname. I’m no Hoser.
As a purveyor of fine goods and combustibles to the gentry I don’t hoe anyone anything.
Anger-Witch is banned for being pædantic and punny...and also for limiting his sales of combustibles to the gentry.
I firmly believe he hoes combustibles to us commoners as well.

Submariner is banned for improper capitalization--while it might be argued that "razorboi" is how it is listed on their avatar, it is also a proper name and thus worthy of capitalization. A second ban for capitalizing "Never" which isn't at the start of the sentence. A small bonus ban as an "em dash" omits spaces before and after the dash, as I have noted above. Freel free to peruse a copy of Strunk & White. :-D

Submariner is banned for improper capitalization--while it might be argued that "razorboi" is how it is listed on their avatar, it is also a proper name and thus worthy of capitalization. A second ban for capitalizing "Never" which isn't at the start of the sentence. A small bonus ban as an "em dash" omits spaces before and after the dash, as I have noted above. Freel free to peruse a copy of Strunk & White. :-D
The Timid Yak (there, I capitalised it!), is banned for holding an English grammar class in the Clown House.

He is doubly banned for naïvely worshipping at the dubious alter of Skunk and Stripe and unwittingly promulgating their poisonous rubbish. No one has done more to ruin twentieth-century written English than that villainous pair.
Let Fowler be your Bible, O Ye of good grammar, and forsake the linguistic prescriptivism and purism that forms the odious book's raison d'être. Denounce the anachronistic pet peeves of these Edwardian ivory-tower hacks! Let us finally lay bare the illusion of authority that this shamelessly thin tome arrogantly presumes to possess and announce once and for all that indeed, the emperor has no clothes!
Read it if you must and apply it if you dare, for it will surely sap every last vestige of originality and "style" from your writing.

T-Yak is trebly banned for errant advice on avatars, which being of personal origin and intellectual property are more akin to a brand or mark, which is always spelt and punctuated as it's creator delineates it.

Finally, a bonus ban for falling under the siren spell of the dreaded em-dash, the most superfluous of punctuation marks and the refuge of the grammatically bereft. It serves no purpose that isn't already amply served by other punctuation marks.
The invention of typesetters and generally not used in hand-written English for many generations, the dash was set off with spaces to distinguish it from the hyphen on a typewriter, there being only one symbol available. There it served all grammatical purposes of both the en-dash and em-dash. That's how the spaces round the em-dash originated and why they continue in use to this day.
More recently, the em-dash was awkwardly approximated on the typewriter by typing two consecutive hyphens, as you have done above. Thus you merit an additional bonus ban for not even correctly employing the long em-dash whose rules you are so eager to prescribe, but rather the anachronistic typewriting crib of two hyphens.
By the way, spaces or no spaces - there are style guides that advocate either one, which brings me to my final point. Style guides merely advocate - their advice on style and English usage does not amount to "rules."

So...Freel Free too wright Anglissh any 'ol waigh u wont!

Razorboi - Holy Cow, was that a BAN! Anyway . . .

Razorboi is banned because I can't find what size washers to order for a new brush handle and knot that I have. Humph.

Banning myself yet again; this time because I didn't braise some pork shoulder properly. It was in a simmering soup for several hours but never got fork tender . . . maybe I should braise the pork and then add it to the soup. I also need to remember to dry brine my pork.

Steak-Teriyaki is banned for the atrocious oxymoron: "dry-brine," and for soliciting cooking advice in the clown house.
If it's not a liquid, it's not a brine.
Simply call it what it is, salting or pre-salting meat.
I've got bones and vegetables in my fridge. Should I collect them in a bowl and call it a "dry soup?"
Next, I ban puppy-loafer for his shameful schadenfreude over Teppy's tragic culinary kitchen catastrophe.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
razorback is Banned - 1.jpg because as a retired chef myself...I come to the defense (is that allowed), of grill master Teppanyaki (often confused with Hibachi...i.e., he should stick to cuisine that is either grilled, broiled, or pan-fried). :lol:

proxy.php
"Teppanyaki cooking is as theatrical [and a celebration] as it is culinary". Chef Andrew Thong

Last edited:
Top Bottom