What's new

Australian Traveling Box No.5!

After resting my skin for a couple days after the AV reaction, I was ready to continue exploring this panoply of products...

Speick Day: Speick cream + Speick aftershave:
I've been curious about Speick for a while. The cream worked up quickly into a decent lather, good body and moderate slipperiness, but I was rather disappointed that the scent was so subtle. It's a decent scent but very mild in the cream/lather and I was just left wanting a more intense sensory experience. The shave was good but again nothing exceptional.

The aftershave was fairly average as well but thankfully much more strongly scented. The scent reminded me a bit of Brut-33 with an earthy, mossy quality, not really my thing but easily appealing to many. Overall Speick proved adequate but doesn't make my stellar list.

Sandalwood Day: Edwin Jagger sandalwood cream + TOBS sandalwood aftershave + Trumpers sandalwood skinfood + Edwin Jagger sandalwood lotion
I'm particularly fond of classic woodsy masculine scents so I was excited to try several sandalwood products. The EJ cream was lush and redolent with a wonderful earthy-woodsy sandalwood scent. It brushed up nicely into a thick and quite slippery lather that provided a wonderful sensuous shave. This is definitely a cream that I would buy.

The TOBS AS, which I used on my neck, went on with a slight momentary alcohol sting and an intense woodsy-earth scent that revealed an amber and slightly powdery quality on drying. I'm quite fond of this scent, as is my wife (which is always a nice thing! :wink2:), so it's also one I might buy.

The Trumper's skinfood, which I applied to my face, went on like most thin balms. It felt soothing and seemed to leave a nice thin moisturizing layer on the skin without feeling heavy. I wasn't thrilled by the scent, which smelled rather like soap with an undercurrent of sandalwood. No doubt this would be a good product if you like that sort of sandalwood soap scent and want a light balm, but it just isn't my thing.

The EJ AS-lotion, which I used on my neck after the TOBS dried off, proved to be really potent stuff. The scent is nice but quite subtle. It's a surprisingly concentrated lotion with a heavy body that spread much farther than I expected, a tiny dot on my fingertip easily covering 1/3 of my neck. It is very smooth and needs worked around a bit, but felt very soothing and left a thin but rich moisturizing/protective layer on my skin. This would be very well suited to someone with dry skin, or the dry parts of combination skin such as I have, particularly in our dry Aussie climate. I would definitely buy this stuff.

It pains me to say it, but I'm going to have to opt out. I've just started a new job so I've got some travel and commitments in the next couple of months which will make it difficult for me to make full use of the box.

Next time, Gadget. Next time.

Nice reviews. Not sure about Brut and Speick, I thought Clubmam was more like Brut. Looking forward to the next instalments.

@Leigh, no worries mate and good luck with the new job.

+1 on the reviews, very good. I love speick. Is Brut 33 the same scent as normal Brut?

+1 on the reviews, very good. I love speick. Is Brut 33 the same scent as normal Brut?

Thanks. Yep, Brut-33 is the classic "normal" Brut. Neither of them are really suited to my tastes, but I could easily see how Speick would be liked by many.

Nice reviews. Not sure about Brut and Speick, I thought Clubmam was more like Brut. Looking forward to the next instalments.

Thanks. I'll admit that the similarity I noted between Speick and Brut is somewhat thin- more "reminiscent" than alike, I guess.

I really like Clubman but dislike Brut and they are not at all similar to my nose, though they might very well be for yours. Makes me wonder if there's a genetic component involved- different genes leading to different olfactory receptors, perhaps. It's not really my area of science, but you have got me wondering.

Oh, and I've nearly maxed out my time with the box so it's time to pass it along. Stu has confirmed he's ready and eager to receive it and I've got it all sealed up ready to go to the post tomorrow. I'll post the tracking after it's sent off, and while it's in transit I'll attempt to entertain you with a few more reviews.

Also, I kept a trial pack of the EJ-Sandalwood that I loved (there's still another trial pack of it in the box) and added one of the great classic American products rarely seen in Australia, the much beloved (and occasionally reviled) WILLIAM'S MUG SHAVING SOAP. :wink:

Well done mate, and thanks for playing.

Good to hear that you found something in the box worth swapping out - particularly as I hate sandalwood!

Great job mate - looking forward to reading some more.

I got the EJ samples while they had free postage so I hope people who like them will take them - that is what they are for!

The box went out in the post today. It fits nicely in one of the Express Post bags and cost about $21 if I remember correctly (I'm terrible with numbers).

The tracking number is 42 2541165 091.

Great reviews, TasMonk, although I had to cover my eyes while you butchered my beloved Speick AS. (There there, Speick, it's OK...) You've certainly got me keen on trying some of the things, although I should have taken notes cos I've forgotten already what they are (definitely the sandlewood combo). When you catch up on five pages of the thread in one sitting it all gets a bit blurry.

The box arrived at 10:30am today. Upon removing the 5kg Express Post plastic bag I noticed that the cardboard box was wet. It seems that both the Malizia Uomo Vetyver AS and the Canoe have gone south. The entire contents of the box smelled really good! Even though these items were packed in separate zip lock bags, they still leaked out for some reason.

I cleaned up everything and I will pick up some more plastic containers at Crazy Clark's next week to replace a couple of containers that may still be a bit dodgy. I will also have to re-label a couple of containers that have printing that is now barely legible. No worries.

Actually, the arrival of the box couldn't have been timed more perfectly. Normally, I shave at 7am each morning, but SWMBO and I are going to a formal dinner (black tie) tonight and I was holding off shaving until around 3pm. There are so many choices of soaps/creams and A/S that I do not know yet what I am going to use, but I will let you know tomorrow. The blade sampler pack is mind boggling! Can't wait to try some of these in the coming week.

Cheers,

Stu

The box arrived at 10:30am today. Upon removing the 5kg Express Post plastic bag I noticed that the cardboard box was wet. It seems that both the Malizia Uomo Vetyver AS and the Canoe have gone south. The entire contents of the box smelled really good! Even though these items were packed in separate zip lock bags, they still leaked out for some reason.

I cleaned up everything and I will pick up some more plastic containers at Crazy Clark's next week to replace a couple of containers that may still be a bit dodgy. I will also have to re-label a couple of containers that have printing that is now barely legible. No worries.

Noooo!!! I specifically checked that the lids on the liquids were tight to prevent just such a mishap! I'm not sure what could have caused things to leak, but I'm terribly sorry guys. :a36:

First of all, my daily shaving routine. According to the Science of Shaving (http://blog.modernmechanix.com/exploring-the-science-of-shaving/), excess skin oils need to be removed in order for the shaving cream/soap to work more effectively. We commonly refer to this as the "pre-shave prep". Some people shower before the shave and some don't. I shower afterwards and have been doing it like this for the past fifty years.

To start with, I fill my brush scuttle and its reservoir with hot tap water and let my brush soak in it. Then I wash my face using Old Spice Pre-Shave wash (or Nivea Face Wash) and warm water. Next, I empty the scuttle, refill the reservoir with hot tap water and face lather my soap/cream of the day. Upon completion of the shave I rinse with warm water and then apply a cold water rinse and pat dry. I then shower and after the shower I usually apply Witch Hazel followed by my aftershave of the day. If I have been careless (rarely happens) I finish with some alcohol free/unscented balm.

I shave seven days a week and always go for a BBS shave (passes the cotton ball test). For me that means one pass WTG and two passes ATG followed by some additional touch-up and.buffing. I realise that not everyone can do this and that's why YMMV. Please keep this in mind when reading my reviews.

Finally, I lost my sense of taste and smell nearly thirty years ago and have just regained it this past year following my third installment of surgery on my sinuses and nasal passages (removal of nasal polyps) so my perception of scents may not coincide with yours. SWMBO helps me with this and since she is the only one that I have to please, I respect her opinion.

Day 1:

Hardware:
Razor: 1946-47 Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Semogue 1305
Scuttle: Panogana Brush Scuttle

Software:
Arko Cream (tube)
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum Aftershave

The Arko cream lathers easily just like their shave stick. It contains a hint of lavender oil and aloe vera. The scent was barely noticeable to me. This is a no nonsense glycerin based cream that does exactly what it is supposed to do. It provided excellent cushion and glide and did not dry out during the shave. If this was the only shave cream available on the planet, then I could survive. I have enough creams/soaps in my stash to last me for at least ten years, but I still enjoy using products that I haven't used before. I give the Arko cream a thumbs up.

The Wilkinson blade is sharp but I found it to be a bit rough. I tried Wilkinson blades forty years ago and didn't like them and now I remember why. You'd think that a company that has made swords for so long could make a smoother razor blade. I define sharp as to how many passes or how much effort it takes to give me my BBS shave. In addition, I like the blade to be smooth=glide. As soon as I began my WTG pass this blade felt rough against my skin.

The Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum A/S. I love original Clubman and use it in my rotation. This was the first time using their Bay Rum and it's not for me. I guess I'm more of an old time barbershop (floral/lavender) smell kind of guy. It had that fantastic burn that they're known for, but their Bay Rum smelled sickly sweet (cinnamon and cloves). SWMBO reckons that it would be great for baking!

Brendan, thanks once again for organising the traveling box #5. It's a great way to experience a variety of products. Goodonyamate!

Cheers,

Stu

Attachments

• $DSC_0069.jpg
    $DSC_0069.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom