What's new

Australian Traveling Box No.5!

As far as I know they are genuine gems, not the paint scraper blades. Only one way to find out really.

http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/34598&c=3

Second shave. Big change for me in the hardware. Someone kindly threw 2 GEM single edge (SE) blades into the box. I have 2 GEM razors that I have had for a number of years and never used, so I had my first shave with my GEM Jr this morning.

Liked the EJ cream yesterday so I tried another sample today - Sea Buckthorn, thanks to Mark's comments . Really liked the scent of this one - almost tropical fruit scent, very fresh. Lovely lather. I will definitely be looking to pick some of this up shortly.

Finished the shave with Tabac AS. I have never been that interested in this one, only based on wiffing the bottle in the store. Nonetheless, thought I would give it a go. Really liked it, nice scent, not over powering and faded to a sort of powdery finish. Again I will give this a second look next time I see it in the store.

Now onto the GEM. The GEM Jr has a very short handle, and this made it a bit of a challenge, the angle of the head required for shaving is different to a regular DE, but it did not take too many strokes to get the hang of it. I almost always use Feather blades, so the SE was as I expected not as sharp but sharp enough to give a very nice shave. The GEM was more aggressive than I expected almost on par with my Red Tip. The most notable difference was the stiffness of the blade, the SE is thicker than a DE and the GEM has quite a pronounced bar. Very different feeling shave, but still smooth and I plan to get a few more shaves in with my other GEM.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Gem Jr. is a beauty. I had a micromatic open comb that I tried once, but felt it was far too agressive and the blades too dull. But seeing that razor, certainly gave me a flutter of RAD!

Hey trying a SE - you are entering the dark side!

Very different to a DE but kinda cool too. Not a bad shave I find.

The English Shaving Co. recently (and regularly) have free shipping sales which is when I got the EJ samples - worth keeping an eye out for them as way cheaper than Shaving Shop!

3rd shave

http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/34637&c=3

Continued with the GEM theme this morning and gave my other GEM a go. Similar feel to my GEM Jr, but the larger handle make for an easier shave in regards to controlling the razor. I think I will try and order a few SE on the web they are different to the DE and fun to use.

Mitchells Wool Fat today, never used this soap before and I have say I can understand the hype, very comfortable shave, lovely lather, subtle scent and very soothing on the skin. I will definitely be picking some up soon. I have been a big fan of Proraso white so I can Mitchells being added to the den soon. I did not have any issues with lathering etc, no tricks or idiosyncrasies, really good stuff.

Finished the shave of with Tabac again, really like this stuff.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes on on way to the dark side, next thing I might starting playing with straights :online2long:.

Thanks for the info on the EJ samples.

I've been too busy to follow this thread closely, but just wanted to say I'm very glad to hear there is some Tabac AS in the box. I'm certainly keen to give that a go. Good to see the box encouraging some SE experimentation as well. If I had to choose between DE and SE I'd probably choose DE, but SE would be a close second :)

Also, note the rule allowing you to swap out items from the box! In the first installment I tried arko for the first time, loved it and swapped it out for something.

I've grown un-fond of my Arko stick so I may chop off its head and donate the rest to the box when it comes my way. There's sure to be someone among us who hasn't tried it and wants to. If you want to give me some encouragement, now's your chance.

4th Shave

Back to DE today after a brief and fun foray in the SE world. Tech and Feather. Omega boar gets another whirl as does the Mitchells Wool Fat. Really liking this soap, I really like the way this leaves my skin feeling after the shave. Must be the combination of tallow and lanolin. Super easy to lather and makes a lovely dense rich lather.

Finished off with the Trumpers Coral Skinfood. I tried this in the last travelling box and really liked it. Need to add this to my ever growing shopping list. I own the Sandalwood and will have to try and squeeze a sample into the box, sort of round out the trio of Trumpers Skinfoods.

Cheers.

@Gavin, do it mate! Life is too short to live with soap you don't like! I do love arko though, I just picked up another six sticks.

4th Shave

Finished off with the Trumpers Coral Skinfood. I tried this in the last travelling box and really liked it. Need to add this to my ever growing shopping list. I own the Sandalwood and will have to try and squeeze a sample into the box, sort of round out the trio of Trumpers Skinfoods.

Cheers.

The Skin Food - especially Coral is on my no, no, never list. I AM becoming a cranky old bastard aren't I! At least I know who to PIF it to if i get any...

Good review again

Had to go into my local Pharmacy today to pick a script, they had Tabac AS and deodorant stick on the counter and on sale - needles to say I walked away with a slightly lighter wallet.

I've been too busy to follow this thread closely, but just wanted to say I'm very glad to hear there is some Tabac AS in the box. I'm certainly keen to give that a go. Good to see the box encouraging some SE experimentation as well. If I had to choose between DE and SE I'd probably choose DE, but SE would be a close second :)

No worries i'm a cranky old bastard too (I think I'm turning into my Father :wacko:).

The Skin Food - especially Coral is on my no, no, never list. I AM becoming a cranky old bastard aren't I! At least I know who to PIF it to if i get any...

Good review again

Had to go into my local Pharmacy today to pick a script, they had Tabac AS and deodorant stick on the counter and on sale - needles to say I walked away with a slightly lighter wallet.

Good decision!

No worries i'm a cranky old bastard too (I think I'm turning into my Father :wacko:).

Scary isn't it! tell your kids they will turn into you and see them really panic!

5th Shave

After diving into the shave stick world during the last Travelling box, I decided to try the much sought after hallowed tallow Palmolive shave stick. Apologies to all, but the foil packaging was a real challenge to keep intact when opening it. Anyways with a clean blade I sliced off a piece and lathered up with my TH badged Rooney. Lather was OK, the scent OK and the shave (Tech and Feather) OK. Definitely superior to our supermarket Mennen Stick, but nothing special. In comparison to the Speick, Lea and Arko sticks this one ranks last in my opinion. The lather was not as rich or slick. I guess for a supermarket stick it's OK, but I think better products are there for only a few dollars more.

Finished the shave off with Boosters Polar Ice. I really liked the Oriental Spice (still there from the last box) and the Polar Ice was no different. Feels great going on, no burn, no sting and leaves ones skin feeling soft and somewhat moisturised. The scent is nice if not subtle. If I had to choose between the Polar Ice and Oriental Spice I would pick the Oriental Spice or both. To me the Boosters does everything an AS should, soothe and refresh without an overpowering scent. Pity that this stuff seems to be such a challenge to get in Oz.

Cheers.

Glad to hear the Boosters gets the thumbs up.

It is such a shame it is nigh on impossible to get. To me it is exactly what a barbershop aftershave should be; inexpensive, simple and a top-notch performer.

6th Shave

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=3&userid=9103

This will be my last shave, I think I have tried everything in the box that I want to. Change of hardware today, Gillette Red Tip and Feather, Omega boar.

Thought I would try some Italian products, Cella and Pino AS.

Really like the Cella in the last box and although I claimed that I would be buying some it has yet to make into the den. After today's shave I WILL be placing an order very soon. Really nice soap, lovely almond scent, lather is thicker and slick and a very comfortable shave is had. This is a really great soap.

Finished the shave with Pino AS. Never tried this before, I did like the woodsy, "piney" scent. Felt nice going on, the scent is not over powering and faded away after an hour or so. I never expect an AS to be moisturizing, but the Pino did feel like it really dried my skin out almost to the point of me thinking about putting some balm on. I would like to give it another go combined with another soap or cream, maybe another combo would be better. Nonetheless, I am not sure I will running out to find some, there are other products that I enjoyed more and more likely to be buying first.

Thanks again to Brendan for organising this. I will PM LR09WA for a shipping address. With the Easter break I will ensure this gets into the post ASAP.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom