What's new

Arko Smell? Really?

I too ordered some Arko sticks. They didn't arrive yet, but I'm kind of excited to see what it's like. If u tried it, and liked it, that's all the confirmation u need! Don't get sucked into the dark and nasty nether- region of Arko haters...They'll eat you ALIVE!!!! (I better shut up...I haven't tried Arko yet, Lol!)

I really hate it when I think of a great ANTI- ARKO-dote (It's like an anecdote, except about Arko). I really feel the need to share 'cause it's funny... but I love ARKO so much!

Since much of it is in the spirit of pure fun, it's OK, you can still share them. lol

Arko smell like those old Blue-White-Red rocket Popsicle i had as a kid.
really like the smell, i guest its like everything else; some people like, some dont.

-gasp- i LOVE rocket-pops! (and PEZ) My resolution not to buy is shattered by references to candy.

But, to summarize. It is awfully strong... or else not. You might get a migraine... or a new favorite. One thing no one has addressed is the probability of receiving rancid soap. Ever suspicious of marketing schemes, it would seem that the quality of tallow when it finally meets the lye could be the independent variable we're missing as consumers.

-gasp- i LOVE rocket-pops! (and PEZ) My resolution not to buy is shattered by references to candy.
UPDATE: On the strength of Kenac's review, I bought it... YOU MISERABLE LIAR! LOL, opened the box of 12 sticks -- Mfr. 2014, Exp. 2021, so fresh -- and BAM! Public rest stop, nothing ambiguous about it. However, unwrapping the item and holding it to my nose, notes of a different range blended in, and... I kinda like it! It goes from pungent or acrid to chemical fresh. (This can be repeated, furthermore, indicating that the nerve endings have NOT simply been killed.) I suppose this is the grain of truth that makes the Gourmand joke, at my expense, funny. But the Arko scent is definitely not "lemon," in any sense.

In use is where the "Ivory Extreme" perspective rings true. To be clear, I am not referring to the shaving performance. That is 100% real, and PERHAPS a valid excuse for these Arkanite shenanigans. I always test new soaps rigorously by omitting aftershave, and the smell that lingers is not decidedly from the fresh end of the Arko scent spectrum, though not unacceptable either.

I think the secret of Arko may be that the scent ingredients are also pH buffering agents. The post-shave feel is top-notch, explaining where "the forgotten English cream" perspective originates. I would rather the scent had rinsed clean, though.

Bringing us to the zealots who would follow Arko with Lilac Vegetal. I confirm your logic, if not your choices. It does bring back some of the floral quality that was washed away. You could wash your face all day, in fact, and still come on strong!

I cast my lot with the "underrated" view, and suggest that if your aftershave comes in "blue" or "green," Arko is absolutely your soap.

HA! I did catch a whiff of PEZ today -- after using diluted Eau de Quinine as aftershave. EdQ outlasts the Arko, but still, nice!

$george_spanky_mcfarland___choo-choo.jpg

No, that is the way it is supposed to be.
Nothing wrong with Arko.
Exactly. People have been banging on ad nauseam about this tired subject of Arko smelling terrible.
Enough already.
I move to institute a moratorium on any discussion regarding the smell of Arko. Anyone care to second that?

I just got my very first Arko stick today. After reading Arko threads on all the love/hate of the smell I was prepared for some toxic odor and was ready to go to a military surplus store for a gas mask to use for opening it. I couldn't wait so I very carefully opened the wrapper. I slowly and shallowly sniffed, then waited for a physiological response. Did I miss something? Perhaps my stick is defective? I sniffed again. I get a soap fragrance with a relatively light lemon smell. What? No citronella, no Lemon Pledge, no lemon floor cleaner? What the heck! Maybe it needs some water to activate. I will try it for the first time tomorrow morning and report back if I am still alive and able.

Haha well put. +1 on this! Totally over hyped regarding the scent. No, its not my favorite smelling shaving soap or cream, but smells fine, and rarely even consider it when i use it. Enjoy!

Exactly. People have been banging on ad nauseam about this tired subject of Arko smelling terrible.
Enough already.
I move to institute a moratorium on any discussion regarding the smell of Arko. Anyone care to second that?

I'll second that!

Old to you, new to me... same as any other topic around here, isn't it? Not that I wouldn't like to have the final word, as I feel my exposition was definitive. ;-)

I just got my very first Arko stick today. After reading Arko threads on all the love/hate of the smell I was prepared for some toxic odor and was ready to go to a military surplus store for a gas mask to use for opening it. I couldn't wait so I very carefully opened the wrapper. I slowly and shallowly sniffed, then waited for a physiological response. Did I miss something? Perhaps my stick is defective? I sniffed again. I get a soap fragrance with a relatively light lemon smell. What? No citronella, no Lemon Pledge, no lemon floor cleaner? What the heck! Maybe it needs some water to activate. I will try it for the first time tomorrow morning and report back if I am still alive and able.

I believe 90% of the smack talked about Arko's smell is because people hear others talk smack about it.

I recall reading somewhere that scientists discovered a certain gene that makes half the population interpret the taste of cilantro as "dishsoap". Maybe this same gene (or a second one) leads half of the members here to think Arko smells putrid?

I however, think it has a very subdued clean smell, and is a great performer!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
UPDATE: On the strength of Kenac's review, I bought it... YOU MISERABLE LIAR! LOL, opened the box of 12 sticks -- Mfr. 2014, Exp. 2021, so fresh -- and BAM! Public rest stop, nothing ambiguous about it. However, unwrapping the item and holding it to my nose, notes of a different range blended in, and... I kinda like it! It goes from pungent or acrid to chemical fresh. (This can be repeated, furthermore, indicating that the nerve endings have NOT simply been killed.) I suppose this is the grain of truth that makes the Gourmand joke, at my expense, funny. But the Arko scent is definitely not "lemon," in any sense.

In use is where the "Ivory Extreme" perspective rings true. To be clear, I am not referring to the shaving performance. That is 100% real, and PERHAPS a valid excuse for these Arkanite shenanigans. I always test new soaps rigorously by omitting aftershave, and the smell that lingers is not decidedly from the fresh end of the Arko scent spectrum, though not unacceptable either.

I think the secret of Arko may be that the scent ingredients are also pH buffering agents. The post-shave feel is top-notch, explaining where "the forgotten English cream" perspective originates. I would rather the scent had rinsed clean, though.

Bringing us to the zealots who would follow Arko with Lilac Vegetal. I confirm your logic, if not your choices. It does bring back some of the floral quality that was washed away. You could wash your face all day, in fact, and still come on strong!

I cast my lot with the "underrated" view, and suggest that if your aftershave comes in "blue" or "green," Arko is absolutely your soap.

So much I agree with. Extreme Ivory for certain. Amazing lather.

Top Bottom