What's new

Arko Smell? Really?

Sorry, a tangent, but...

In my old apartment building we had some run of drunken old smoker incidents where the fire department had to be called. There were so many that they have run a bit into each other in my mind.

One time there were all all these fellows standing in the hall, assessing what was going on. One of these firemen had the most impressive schnozz, which he lifted impressively into the air as all the others watched in expectation. I could not help but do the same, as his authority was evident (and who could doubt such an impressive organ). He took several careful sniffs, considered briefly, and then pronounced, "Cooking."

I was so disappointed! After all the buildup I thought he would name every ingredient I had been cooking with. He didn't even go so far as to say "fish." I mean, I was happy to get the all clear, but that's it?

Back to Arko. Never tried it. I don't think I'll risk my pittance before trying a sniff, though I really have no idea where I would do that.

Williams has the citronella smell that turns lots of people off. I actually use it once in a while and enjoy it.

I know you don't believe me but the Arko I received in the mail was terribly strong. Industrial strength cleaner strong. As i said earlier in the thread I am not a picky man, but I am not going to walk around smelling like Lemon Ajax all day either.

I really think there is a difference between new and old stock, or they have quality control issues. How else do you explain the love or absolutely disgusted and can't believe you put that near your face every morning crowd?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have been Chosen by the Veg... :Veg: I've been using it for several years.

Gee, I wonder how that or other AS pairs with Arko? Any ideas? Maybe something with some citrus notes?

Tres Flores pairs pretty good with Arko and Williams in my opinion.
Also - believe it or not, I think the Veg pairs beautifully with Tabac.

Hey Rat, I will bite and reply to your unanswered question. I'm 55 and grew up in the Ivory Soap generation. I still like to use it as a hand and bath soap. When we were kids, we used to carve stuff out of Ivory (safe whittling). I digress. I get absolutely no lemon in Ivory and I think Ivory still smells like it always did. Just "soap" whatever that is. I surmise w that you get when you equate Arko to Ivory is the "soap" coming through. But I definitely agree that Arko is distinctively "lemon-scented". Not unpleasant to me, just fresh, air freshener lemon.
I wonder if the love hate thing is related to age? I grew up using Ivory soap and when I've described the scent of Arko I've always described it a mildly lemon scented ivory. To the predominant scent is simply "soap" - old fashioned soap that is. I wonder if everyone knows what soap used to smell like before all the chemicals and perfumes started to be added. Yes, there is a lemony scent too, but to me nothing at all overwhelming, or anything at all like an industrial cleaner.As someone else suggested, maybe they have a quality ccontrol issue and some batches are stronger than others.

I wonder if the love hate thing is related to age? I grew up using Ivory soap and when I've described the scent of Arko I've always described it a mildly lemon scented ivory. To the predominant scent is simply "soap" - old fashioned soap that is. I wonder if everyone knows what soap used to smell like before all the chemicals and perfumes started to be added. Yes, there is a lemony scent too, but to me nothing at all overwhelming, or anything at all like an industrial cleaner.As someone else suggested, maybe they have a quality ccontrol issue and some batches are stronger than others.

Well, I'm 42, so a little younger, but not a ton, but I also grew up on a rural farm, living with my grandparents, so everything in the house and around the place was very very old school. The neighbor still made their own soap a couple times a year using fat that was left after the meat harvest to stock the freezers. lol I remember being like 10 and going to a museum on a field trip, and seeing things behind glass with explanation cards, then going home and seeing the exact same item on the shelf in the kitchen after grandma had just finished using it and putting it away... Anyways, point being I feel comfortable in saying I definitely know what just plain old pure soap smells like.

Arko smelling like Ivory would be an improvement. I can see the similarities. Ivory has a very light lemony scent that is understated enough to not bother most people. Arko's cheap artificial smelling lemon fragrance is quite powerful to my nose and my wife's. I don't think it's repulsive like some do, but it definitely has a cheapness to it, and it was more than strong enough to trip my wife's migraine threshold. The last time I used it, the fumes emanating from me left the living room smelling faintly of Arko for about 15 minutes after I had left the room. I don't hate it, but I can understand the objections of those who do.

Like most other things, the truth of Arko's scent lies somewhere in between. The first time I smelled it, I got none of the "urinal cake" scent many had ranted about. I always thought that urinal cakes had a distinct "cherry" smell to them, which Arko has none of.

Like most other things, the truth of Arko's scent lies somewhere in between. The first time I smelled it, I got none of the "urinal cake" scent many had ranted about. I always thought that urinal cakes had a distinct "cherry" smell to them, which Arko has none of.

You just are lucky to get to frequent more upscale urinals... lol

funny using the "urinal cake" reference. shave rat and i traded a stick of arko for a puck of marvey. (i recieved the arko).. to me,, marvey smells just like the cake. someone else posted arko smelling like electric lemon pez..? <--- spot on IMHO.

did you ever try the marvey shave rat? whats the opinion on that one? "gun to your head,,,,,which one do you shave with?

did you ever try the marvey shave rat? whats the opinion on that one? "gun to your head,,,,,which one do you shave with?

lol It's actually still in the package on the shelf. I was holding it till I really felt I needed something new to try while on the purchase sabbatical.

Not at all... What I do fear is smelling like some poor underpaid unappreciated custodial worker after I finish shaving.

Your fear is well founded!
I would warn any Arko user about this risk of which you speak. And I would implore they never wear a beret after shaving, lest they hazard being mistaken for Jacques Custodian.

It would be impossible to list all of the risks of using Arko on the wrapper. Might not be enough room in the Cloud

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
$haters-gonna-hate-cool-dog.jpg

I love the smell of Arko. My wife loves the smell of Arko. It's a good, honest, basic, soapy smell. I'm gonna lather me up some before I go to bed.

So, there! :shaving:

I used Arko this morning. It was well worth it. Followed up with a generous heap of the VEG. I still smell great, and feel manly. And no one has mistaken me for a urinal... or a litter box.

I was all like, :straight:.

Then I was all like, :Veg:.

Then I felt all like, :c2:.

I cracked the wrapper on one stick, gagged, heaved, sealed it back up and immediately hid the rest of the sticks in with some razors I was selling.

I still feel sorry for those poor guys who got blindsided when they opened the package from me.

Top Bottom