What's new

Aqua Velva is going to plastic bottles!

Thanks for the heads up. If they wanted to save a few pennies per bottle seems they would make all of them the same size and shape versus the current mix of plastic and different shaped glass. But I suppose consumers would start seeing the different AVs as being too similar to each other and make the product stale.

I am nearly out.. someone ship me some from the US before it is all out. Wait... alcohol shipping laws *damnit*

I just used some AV Original Blue after my shave. It was so pleasurable, I will now have to buy 3 or 4 bottles to hold in reserve, just in case.

Try CVS - I smelled their stuff right next to the real thing, and it was hard to tell the difference, at least to me.

Of course, the scent is only part of what makes AV special. The AV clones I've tried were weak imitations of the real deal. (I don't think I've tried the CVS, however.)

If you look really hard online there is one place that still offers the 15oz plastic bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue. I'm not sure if it is really in stock or not, but if someone were to get that then they could see if it is any different to the current formula. If it is no different, I don't see why it would need to be reformulated.

good point, I was wondering about the BIG BOTTLE myself...

This is what weak economies do, businesses cut corners in an effort to continue making the profit margin as large as possible.

I just picked up a big the big bottle of Aqua Velva ice blue. I know they're probably doing it to cut costs, but I am sure going to miss that big glass bottle. If I miss it that bad I'll just save my one of my last glass bottles from them. At least they're not discontinuing their product.

You know, I can really see this as an instance of someone coming in as "Director of Product Development"; slick tongued, making changes, being 'pro-active', earning a "Reduced production costs and blah blah blah" on his resume; moves on for greener pastures and leaves a classic product in ruins. :frown2:

I wrote them, and told them I would prefer they do not change, but you know they will. If you think about the logistics and weight of transport, they will cut the corners in everyway they can. I once heard a rumor the Army know how much it will cost to ship one bullet overseas! That was probably a joke, but with gas prices going out of site, you know. I guess it is time for me to hoard. I think I will get around 10 bottles.

Actually, I will tell all my family members to get me a couple glass bottles for Christmas!!

Of course, the scent is only part of what makes AV special. The AV clones I've tried were weak imitations of the real deal. (I don't think I've tried the CVS, however.)
I only intend to move to the clones if Aqua Velva changes its formula. I can live with the plastic bottles if I have to, mainly because I have the glass bottles to pour it into. If they change the formula however, it will be nothing but another clone then. The clones will probably actually be closer to the real thing if the Old Spice situation is anything to go by.

What's weird is that I much prefer the first reformulation of Old Spice to the original Old Spice, which I hated. And now they're apparently on a 3rd formulation from what I hear. But nobody had better mess with my Aqua Velva by Jiminy! :mad3:

I picked up three 200 ml bottles of ice blue and a bottle of original sport yesterday. I dropped them in the store and broke the cap on one... thank gawd for duct tape! :001_rolle

I may pick up a few more in the coming months....just to be safe...

Barry

A lot of the CVS branded stuff is re-packaged under contract from the original manufacturer. This could be the case here as well.

Also, the Aqua Velva Ice Sport, if you haven't tried it, is menthol with a hint of aftershave. It's sold in plastic and still has real menthol in it. Wow that stuff is cold.

Also, the Aqua Velva Ice Sport, if you haven't tried it, is menthol with a hint of aftershave. It's sold in plastic and still has real menthol in it. Wow that stuff is cold.

I'm surprised to hear that. I know the label on Ice Sport says menthol, but I can barely detect it. I do, however, really like the Original Sport. It seems to be Ice Blue with a different scent. Barbasol Brisk is loaded with Menthol, and is in a plastic bottle as well.

A lot of the CVS branded stuff is re-packaged under contract from the original manufacturer. This could be the case here as well.

I really like Ice Sport, but it has very little Menthol. Most of what you're feeling is the Panthenol, which adheres to plastic better than menthol. It's a neutral provitamin that when soluble alongside menthol and glycerin, takes on the characteristics of a "super" menthol. That's how Williams can skimp on the menthol in 'Lectric Shave and Ice Sport and still come across as mentholized. Surprisingly, Ice Sport does have quite a bit of glycerin instead of pr. glycol- which is a rarity in the case of plastic bottled aftershaves. Most manufacturers just skimp out on panthenol and glycerine and give you straight anti-freeze (I'm looking at you, Mennen.)

Panthenol/menthol aside, I'm missing something here- though the chill effect does come through in Ice Sport, it's not even on the same page as far as the original Ice Blue. You'd be hard pressed to find much more menthol in an aftershave next to Aqua Velva (barring Osage Rub, which isn't a "true" aftershave to begin with.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom