What's new

Aqua Velva: Plastic to Glass - What Gives ?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Some time ago, after learning that Aqua Velva was going to plastic instead of glass bottles, I, like many others, kept a 3.5 oz. and 7 oz. glass bottle once they were empty so I could refill them once I was done with them. Well, after finishing the 3.5 oz glass bottle I decided to refill it with AV from the plastic bottle that I had in the den. This is what happened.

Empty glass bottle on the right. Full plastic bottle on the left.

[/URL]

Empty glass bottle reads 3.5 oz.

[/URL]

Full plastic bottle reads 3.5 oz.

[/URL]

After transferring the contents from plastic to glass and allowing for minimal spillage, this was the end result.

[/URL]

What's up with that? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, either we were all being shorted by a few mL or the new plastic bottles are actually more full than the label claims. The easy way to resolve it would be to get a new 103 mL plastic bottle and dump the contents into a graduated cylinder.

AV is labelled correctly in my area. Used to be 200ml and now in plastic it states 235ml I believe. We lost the glass bottle, but gained more product for the same price. Not too bad.

It's probably a marketing decision. They probably found that going to a 3.5oz bottle might look too small on the shelf and despite labelling, the customer's perception would be that the bottle is a smaller quantity. In some cases manufacturers worry about the appearance next to their competitor's product (which may still be in a larger glass bottle) and in some cases they simply want to protect shelf real estate. In other words, if they have two facings side by side, and the size of the bottle shrinks enough that the retailer would have a hole on the shelf large enough to put another product in, the marketing guys have to ask whether that hole will be filled with one of their products or a competitor's product. I know it sounds crazy, especially considering they wind up giving more product and understating it, as well as paying higher shipping costs than they actually need to for a true 3.5oz bottle (although still less than they used to on a 3.5oz glass bottle), but these things keep people in the CPG business up at night.

I used to be in the appliance business and we understated sizes and specs all of the time. We would build a lot of common elements like the drums in the washer and dryer to a standard size and then just say that they were smaller in the lower priced models, to provide differentiation for marketing purposes. It also meant that we could do a quick "new and improved with larger drum" story whenever we needed to. I wouldn't be surprised if you see Aqua Velva with a "now with 20% more" statement one day soon.

Anyway, that's my (very lengthy) two bits worth.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Bob, I really cannot say why the two bottles have different quantities of liquid. But what I can say for sure is that this powerful US aftershave has become one of my all-time favourite. And I have to thank my US friends and B&B members Tom and John for sending me two bottles of the Ice Blue. Thank you so much!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It's the new math.

Bob, I really cannot say why the two bottles have different quantities of liquid. But what I can say for sure is that this powerful US aftershave has become one of my all-time favourite. And I have to thank my US friends and B&B members Tom and John for sending me two bottles of the Ice Blue. Thank you so much!

As good as the American AV is, the Canadian version is much, much better.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Of course it is. They have much more ice up there.

Actually, I find it not quite as icy as the US offering. It's green, too. Must have some essence of maple leaf and poutine in it. All I know is it's great.

It's on my list for the next time I take the 2hr drive to my nearest Shopper's Drug Mart...

proxy.php

What? My Aqua Velva has always been blue!

Maybe I not really Canadian?

Or, more likely, this must mean that Nova Scotia is no longer part of Canada? Well, it was bound to happen some time, but did we have to learn about it like this!

Maybe I can get some green AV imported from Quebec - wait are they still in Canada?

What? My Aqua Velva has always been blue!

Maybe I not really Canadian?

Or, more likely, this must mean that Nova Scotia is no longer part of Canada? Well, it was bound to happen some time, but did we have to learn about it like this!

Maybe I can get some green AV imported from Quebec - wait are they still in Canada?

Seriously? I can't even find an AV Ice Blue bottle anywheres in my area (Eastern New Brunswick) without the green Original Sport version sitting right beside it. :confused1

If really interested in trying it, shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

Last edited:
They must have it in stores here too, I may simply never have noticed it. I know we also get the musk (orange) version and the blue sport version. If I don't find it here, SWMBO will be in NB some time within the next week or two, I can send an oil jug with her and ask her to fill it up... or maybe just get one bottle for me to start off with:laugh:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro

Marco, this warms the cockles of my heart!

From the time I started shaving in the early 1970's until I went in the Air Force in 1982, basically ten years, Aqua Velva was my one and ONLY daily splash. You see, shaving was a chore, not the wonderful "me time" I have come to look forward to in the morning! On occasion I would splash on English Leather or, for a date, maybe Aramis. But it was Aqua Velva pretty much every day, so I have very fond memories tied up with that scent. On top of that, the menthol (IMO) is just right, and they add a little glycerin, also, making it perhaps, the most effective and comfortable splash I have ever used.

Then, I was introduced to Pinaud Clubman by another Air Force officer in OCS in late 1982. The transformation was instantaneous! Overnight, I switched from AV to Clubman and that became my daily splash for almost 30 years. I could just cry when I think of the dozens and dozens of glass Aqua Velva and Clubman bottles I tossed in the garbage over the years. :(

Then, about a year ago, I discovered this website, and started to collect all the 1970's classics. But Aqua Velva and Pinaud Clubman are still very near and dear to my heart. I am so happy you like them, too!

Now, my AS shelf contains Pinaud Clubman, Classic Vanilla, and Lilac Vegetal, Aqua Velva, Mennen Skin Bracer, English Leather, Old Spice, and Brut. All the stuff that has been around for 40, 50, even over 100 years (Clubman)! But Clubman and Aqua Velva get the most use, still.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, this warms the cockles of my heart!

From the time I started shaving in the early 1970's until I went in the Air Force in 1982, basically ten years, Aqua Velva was my one and ONLY daily splash. You see, shaving was a chore, not the wonderful "me time" I have come to look forward to in the morning! On occasion I would splash on English Leather or, for a date, maybe Aramis. But it was Aqua Velva pretty much every day, so I have very fond memories tied up with that scent. On top of that, the menthol (IMO) is just right, and they add a little glycerin, also, making it perhaps, the most effective and comfortable splash I have ever used.

Then, I was introduced to Pinaud Clubman by another Air Force officer in OCS in late 1982. The transformation was instantaneous! Overnight, I switched from AV to Clubman and that became my daily splash for almost 30 years. I could just cry when I think of the dozens and dozens of glass Aqua Velva and Clubman bottles I tossed in the garbage over the years. :(

Then, about a year ago, I discovered this website, and started to collect all the 1970's classics. But Aqua Velva and Pinaud Clubman are still very near and dear to my heart. I am so happy you like them, too!

Now, my AS shelf contains Pinaud Clubman, Classic Vanilla, and Lilac Vegetal, Aqua Velva, Mennen Skin Bracer, English Leather, Old Spice, and Brut. All the stuff that has been around for 40, 50, even over 100 years (Clubman)! But Clubman and Aqua Velva get the most use, still.

John, my dear friend, you are absolutely right. The AV Ice Blue, the Pinaud Clubman and the Mennen Skin Bracer are three "must have" aftershaves for the Old School wet shavers who love traditional splashes. And now that I have them I see why you are so happy with these great products. Thanks once again, John!

Top Bottom