What's new

Aqua Velva is going to plastic bottles!

I thought the same thing (menthol not compatible with plastic), then I remembered the big jug of ossage rub under my sink. Menthol enough to numb your face, and it's in a plastic bottle.

Seems like the manufacturer just uses the repackaging opportunity to do a switch on the formula - increase profit/decrease cost of ingredients, betting that the consumer's perception will be that the difference is only the container, and that they are imagining any other differences.

Too deep a conspiracy theory?

I'll be stocking up ASAP, and if they change the formula I will switch to supermarket AV clones. That cheap stuff will probably remain the same, and pretty darned close to the real thing. I'll just pour it into an old AV bottle.

That's my plan. About to admit to heresy but, I really didn't like AV when I tried it. In fact I gave a full bottle to my dad, who wears it daily. However, since it is an American Icon fragrance, I will be stocking up on a couple bottles.

As for the generics, I've found that the Old Spice knock off from the dollar store is more like OS than the current offering from P&G. So maybe it's time to give the store brands version of AV a try.

Too bad.
Call me old-fashioned, but I like glass bottles instead of plastic ones.
Well, I'll stock up some AV that are still sold here in glass bottle.

About two months ago, I posted a question about aftershaves losing their scent. The feedback I got said that plastic botttles were the culprits. I recently chucked the last of a plastic bottle of Caswell Massey Bay Rum that had faded to nothing. I will stick with glass.

Hopefully the makers of AV aren't reading this thread.

HMM... If we put our product in plastic for a year, everyone will hoard the stuff and buy all they can......Hmm.

If you look really hard online there is one place that still offers the 15oz plastic bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue. I'm not sure if it is really in stock or not, but if someone were to get that then they could see if it is any different to the current formula. If it is no different, I don't see why it would need to be reformulated.

If they are planning for both the musk and the ice blue that just means twice as much to hoard. I've already have a decent stash of Ice Sport.

When did they go to plastic for the Ice Blue Sport? I don't recall ever seeing that in glass and I've been using it for several years.

It seems the rumors are true- Williams is planning on going from glass to plastic on the original Aqua Velva.

Only a year ago they assured me that they had zero interest in going from glass to plastic. Now I guess they need that extra coinage bad enough. For those that aren't aware- the menthol will probably be reduced and supplanted by propylene glycol and/or panthenol. How this will effect the essence or functionality is unknown, but it's a safe bet that it will undergo a major re-formulation. The woman that I spoke to said that when Williams 'Lectric Shave went to plastic they tweaked the menthol count, and that they would probably do the same with AV.

I want everyone that feels as strongly about this to do one of two things: call or write Williams. Let them know that you will not buy Aqua Velva if it goes to plastic. I would rather they jacked the price up a quarter or so then to cheap out and go plastic.

Call: 1-800-431-2610

Write: http://www.combe.com/contact_form.asp?prod=AV

They've been experiencing a large volume of calls on the AV line because of this, so expect a hold time of a minute or two.

LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!

I would like to know how this woman knows that when Lectric Shave went to plastic bottles, they cut the menthol content. When that happened, Lectric Shave wasn't even owned by Combe. So, I'll take that with a grain of salt.

Secondly, you won't be making a call to Williams. Williams is only a brand. The company is Combe Incorporated.

I would like to know how this woman knows that when Lectric Shave went to plastic bottles, they cut the menthol content. When that happened, Lectric Shave wasn't even owned by Combe. So, I'll take that with a grain of salt.

Secondly, you won't be making a call to Williams. Williams is only a brand. The company is Combe Incorporated.

Well, let's stop calling the Mach III a Gillette product, and call it a P&G.

Williams is a men's grooming division owned by Combe, Inc. I'm sure they didn't just throw out all the data about their fragrances when they were acquired by Combe.

It's amazing how hung up some people can be on semantics.

Of course, owning 700 bottles of after shave can't be good, either.

If they were in glass, how would that not be good? I've got about three hundred and fifty bottles under my belt right now. Some are around eighty years old. One is 94 years old. Most are over forty years old. The only ones that have spoiled are in plastic.

Similar to ClubmanRob I have, what SWMBO categorizes as unreasonable, a large variety of old soaps, colognes, and AS dating back as much as 50 years, all in glass bottles, and all perfectly fine.

I use them all each week (brands like Old Spice, Pinaud, Avon, Babershop, etc., really enjoying Old Spice Lime AS this week) which were manufactured in the fifties, sixties, and seventies with great enjoyment. Again, all glass containers.

In my opinion it make a huge difference.

Thanks for the link. Email sent, will call'um Monday.

Top Bottom