What's new

April 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Semogue Saturday!

PXL_20230429_152754629.jpg

Muhle Rocca R95 with Astra SS (4), D.R. Harris Naturals and Semogue SOC
Still In GRUME & GRUYERE

Welcome to the weekend.
Today I shamelessly made an effort to have a color coordinated combo, (yeah I know the soap label got wet).
Last "Decemboar" I really learned to appreciate boar brushes. Today I went with the SOC. It has taken longer to break-in than my other boars and I still think it has more potential. After soaking the tips for 5 minutes I felt it was ready to go.
Two easy passes and a couple touch ups made it an easy DFS.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

I'm out 🧐

Stumbled a few days from the finish line.
But, I assure you it was worth it.
Hold on to your seats..... Not one stumbling stone, but three.
I got my hands on THREE Eclipse Red Rings at a more than reasonable price.
Well... that leaves little left on my list of dream razors.
Last month two French monuments came my way. The Le Coq Cagehead and....
The notorious Famex.
Used it today for the first time: this razor shaves on the extreme edge of being comfortable.
And it shaves close. I dare say extremely close.
It has quite a reputation, many of those lucky enough to own one think it is the most aggressive razor. It might be, but if you use almost zero pressure and let it glide over your skin, it will treat you good. True: as soon as you take it for granted and loose concentration, it will let you know you're not dealing with a very forgiving razor.
I love it, it must be one of my best yet.

B43511B5-1446-4906-B2B4-B1D6B42EAD2E.jpeg

Still in! Two solid GRUMEs since Portugal! Used one of those Portuguese products today as I was rushed out of the house: Couto cream. A pass and touchups in less than two minutes after the post-bike shower. No blood and a serviceable shave! Finished with St. John’s West Indian Limes, which will need replacing after the next and final application.

Still in, 2.5 days of growth. And done for this month, see you all in May

April GRUME : 16
2023 GRUYERE : 67

Razor : King C Gillette
Blade : KCG (5)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : LaToja Stick
Brush : Simpson Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: Alum Match stick, Proraso White Balm

1 nice bleeder, wrong blade angle on the chin. Nothing the turkish match could not handle., A bit of irritation right on that place.

I'm out 🧐

Stumbled a few days from the finish line.
But, I assure you it was worth it.
Hold on to your seats..... Not one stumbling stone, but three.
I got my hands on THREE Eclipse Red Rings at a more than reasonable price.
Well... that leaves little left on my list of dream razors.
Last month two French monuments came my way. The Le Coq Cagehead and....
The notorious Famex.
Used it today for the first time: this razor shaves on the extreme edge of being comfortable.
And it shaves close. I dare say extremely close.
It has quite a reputation, many of those lucky enough to own one think it is the most aggressive razor. It might be, but if you use almost zero pressure and let it glide over your skin, it will treat you good. True: as soon as you take it for granted and loose concentration, it will let you know you're not dealing with a very forgiving razor.
I love it, it must be one of my best yet.

View attachment 1646305
Fascinating razor. Never seen anything like it. Congratulations on this and your new ones as well.

Day 29, 96.7% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive Stick
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Wizamet SI #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Loaded up a fresh Wizamet. I'm using some random soaps for the 29th and 30th, first of all, the discontinued Palmolive again.

A nostalgic scent, a good near-BBS shave, but the post-shave not quite up to SV/MWF level.

SOTD APRIL 29
April 2023 GRUME
SV Saturday

Hello friends

Saturday is beautiful around here. So I plucked up courage and got bold: Green Cult 2.0 baseplate IV to tackle my three-day stubble. What a shave! I arrived easily on a BBS with three passes, without any cuts or injuries. I didn't use alum, but I finished it off with the wonderful Floïd Genuine, without feeling any burning sensation.
The soap was Saponificio Varesino Desesrt Vetiver, lathered by the great (literally) Omega 48 Pro. The Perma-Sharp blade (4) was efficient and smooth as ever.

On this fantastic journey, my old friend Johnny Hartman.

I'm laughing for nothing, my friends.

Rating: 10

Have a nice weekend and great shaves.
❤️🪒

73B84DA3-D6EA-44AD-BF83-B1E63842C7BD.jpeg
IMG_8146.jpeg

Still in Almost there:
EJ 89
Voskhod teflon 2nd
Extro Latte Mandorla
Cremo Heritage AS Balm
Barberry Coast Himalayan Ascent splash

DFS. Not a lot of blade feel today but it got the job done.
One more day, then I think I'll sit out next month's GRUME as there are a couple things I have my eye on.

Synthetic Sundays!!!
A Successful April GRUME!

PXL_20230429_182508514.jpg

Leaf Twig with half Wilkinson Sword blade, B and M Nordost & Simpson T3 brush

Greetings Gents
It was a nice surprise to open the soap lid and get a whiff of the burnt orange scent. The "Twig" has the smallest head of any razor I own. It is nimble and extremely maneuverable. It was easy to get a DFS+ result.
Thanks to all fellow GRUMERS and our devoted leader Brandon, @FoolishMortal.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Top Bottom