2 Take out something you like
3 Add something nice

Uncle Brian - Katikati
Silverlifter - Wellington
Gnasher40 - North Canterbury
Odax Pullus - Wellington
Vivasanti - South Canterbury
NZLocal - Gisborne

Hi guys - long time no post! I moved to rural Oropi (BoP) a few years ago and kinda lost touch with B&B for a while. I still check in from time to time if I'm looking for info on something specific but haven't posted for quite a while. Normally I'd be keen to participate in the 2023 Box travelling circus but we have a patchy track record with parcel delivery and it might be too risky to get involved. I do have a number of razor handles I am planning to shed from my collection so I'd be happy to forward these to anyone who wants to take responsibility for getting them into the box. @Uncle Brian would be the obvious choice as he's reasonably close but I'm open to any ideas on how to manage this.

ALL NEW IMPROVED 2023 BOX
Same old rules
1 It's yours for 3-4 weeks
2 Take out something you like
3 Add something nice

Uncle Brian - Katikati
Haggis2a - Tauranga
Silverlifter - Wellington
Gnasher40 - North Canterbury
Odax Pullus - Wellington
Vivasanti - South Canterbury
NZLocal - Gisborne

OK, still working my way through the 2023 Travelling Box Brian kindly delivered just over a week ago. Lots of interesting soaps and creams, some of which I will sample in the coming days. I've been keen to try Speick for a while, so now I finally have the chance to see what all the fuss is about.

Also an interesting range of brushes and razors. I know several of the brushes - in common with many B&B members I too have a number of Yaqi brushes, which are among my favourites, all with synthetic knots. (I gave up on badger knots some years ago). The two NZ made brushes are especially interesting. I don't generally go for turned wood handles, but the two in the box are really nice. I particulalry like the paua 'coin' on the base. I may have to investigate further online.

I won't try the razors, even if the vintage single-edge does intrigue me. I'm trying hard to wean myself off RAD and the Exec Shaving and RazoRock single-edge razors I acquired last year are to be the last (for a few months, at least!).

The major interest for me are several blades I've never tried before. I've just had 4 shaves with a Gillette Silver Blue, which is one of a few Gillette blades I've never tried before now. I put the GSB a close second to my favourite Nacet - maybe not quite as sharp but very smooth. I had 4 BBS shaves with it in a Karve CB Open Comb in brass. Lovely. Next up is a Polsilver which will be loaded in another Karve; this time the CB Closed Comb in S/S. I'll post a short summary of how I get on with that and the other 3-4 blades I've grabbed from the box.

I'm heading off to visit friends in the 'naki next week for a few days so I'll pack up the box and send it to @silverlifter on Monday or Tuesday before I go.

I've just dropped the box off with NZ Post, on its way to @silverlifter.

FYI I've added a few razor handles I no longer want. Here are the details:

Maggard MR11 S/S 80.0mm x 12.25mm 58.0g
RazoRock Bamboo S/S 90.0mm x 13.0mm 72.0g
RazoRock Radio Knob S/S 85.0mm x 12.0-14.0mm 75.5g
Yintal Mühle style Brass 90.0mm x 12.0mm 50.0g

Everyone in this passaround is welcome to try or keep. I suggest if any of them take somebody's fancy they claim their favourite and leave the remainder to go round with the rest of the goodies. I don't want them back, so am happy to see them all go to good homes!

Enjoy.

I'm on my second blade from the box - a Polsilver Stainless which I've had loaded in my Karve CB Closed Comb in S/S for the last 3 shaves. The Karve closed comb has the E plate, just one notch above the blade gap (D) on the brass open comb I used with the Gillette GSB.
Have been enjoying the Polsilver, though maybe not quite as much as the Gillette GSB. First shave was excellent and it's dropped a little in overall quality each time after that. It doesn't feel quite as sharp or as smooth as the GSB but is still a good everyday blade. I think I can get one more shave out of it before it starts to get beyond where I usually ditch a blade - I generally stick to 4 shaves with a blade that works for me, so the Polsilver is holding its own.
After the Karve, I'm onto the RazoRock Hawk 'A' SE in my rotation, so might be a couple of weeks before a quick post on the next DE blade.

The box arrived safely, thanks @haggis2a! And @Uncle Brian for the clean out and re-stocking! :)

Looking forward to lathering with one of the Odax brushes and a cream I haven't tried tomorrow.

At this point, I am intending to include a straight starter kit (shave ready razor, strop and finishing hone) so that recipients down the line can give the gentlemanly art a shot.

Liking the look of that Koraat @silverlifter. I'm getting a hankering to dig out my straight razors for a long overdue workout. I have a Ralf Aust 13/16" full hollow with a round point and Schorkopf, making it almost a French point and a custom John Glueck 6/8" half hollow with French point. Must be a couple of years since I used either of them!

Attachments

• AC Ralf Aust 6_8 Round schorkopf 01.jpg
    AC Ralf Aust 6_8 Round schorkopf 01.jpg
    732.8 KB · Views: 9
  • AC JMG 6_8 French 01.jpg
    AC JMG 6_8 French 01.jpg
    691.2 KB · Views: 9
Wow: that is a unique looking razor! Love a half-hollow! ❤️

Bust out the strops and give them a run!
Yep, the John Glueck is only fractionally smaller than the Ralf Aust in both height and length but it's quite a different shave. I put it down to the half hollow - less 'suction' then when you get the angle wrong with a full hollow. I really must get back to the straights soon. I'm still playing with the single edge razors I bought last year, so will need to force myself to set them aside and get stroppy for a while...

Just finished a set of shaves with a third blade from the box - Super Iridium Extra Platinum. I used it in a Muhle R41, which is a favourite of mine, in spite of the fact that most of my razors these days are stainless steel. This is the 2013 version of the R41 in chrome plated zamac, which has been in regular rotation for several years.
First shave was outstanding - the blade felt sharp and very, very smooth. Almost felt like I had no blade in the R41, which was a surprise given the R41's reputation for being aggressive.
Second shave was a noticeable drop off in smoothness - it was only just what I would class as rough or tuggy, but not so much as to cause any dramas. Still gave me an easy BBS shave.
Third shave was rougher again, but still a BBS with a little more effort in a couple of my problem areas around my neck.
Fourth shave roughness was about the same as the third, but it felt like the blade was starting to dull. Still an acceptable shave, though.
Overall I was happy with how the blade performed. Smoothness dropped off noticably after the first shave but it was still good enough to give me 4 good shaves. My usual max for DE blades is 4 shaves, so the Super Iridium matched that target.
Next up is a Treet Platinum blade, in a RazoRock Mentor. Will post when I get through a few shaves.

Got through 4 shaves with the Treet Platinum Super Stainless last week, in a RazorRock Mentor. Similar performance overall to the other blades I've tried from the travelling box, ie I got BBS or very near to it every time, with no nicks, cuts or irritation. The Treet may not have been quite as sharp or smooth as the others I've tried, but not especially poor either. It did drop off in performance during the 4th shave, so I do think a 5th shave would have been just too far for it (but then, I've deliberately not used any DE blade for more than 4 shaves for years now). So I guess the Treet was a good everyday blade for me.

TBH there aren't many blades I have real trouble with, regardless of razor. My experience with blades seems to range from good to great with whatever combination I use. My few fails came early on in my reboot with DE razors, some 7 years ago after too many years with cartridges. This may have been more to do with relearning my technique than the blades themselves. Nah, I'm being kind. I had a few shockers, most notably: Croma Diamant, Derby Extra Super Stainless. I also had so-so shaves with: Astra Superior Premium Platinum, Bic Chrome Platinum, Dorco Platinum, but even these would be OK if I had nothing else available.

Next and last blade from the travelling box is the Tiger Platinum, in my HomeLikeShaving Colibri. I'll post a summary of how I got on with that early next week.

My previous post suggested I've not had trouble with many blades, but after 2 shaves with the Tiger Platinum I have to add it to the short list of shockers!

First shave with the Tiger in the HLS Colibri was quite tuggy on the 1st pass, then a little better better for 2nd and 3rd passes. The blade just didn't feel sharp and while it was reasonably smooth it was not the best. The overall shave was not very comfortable and I was left with a slight tenderness on my cheeks indicating I had to work hard for an acceptable finish. Didn't get anywhere near a BBS but the results were OK. Not fantastic, but just OK. I had suspicions that the second shave would be no better so nearly ditched it at that point. However, I persevered with the Tiger for a second shave this morning and got the same results, ie tuggy 1st pass, slightly better on 2nd and 3rd passes. This time the shave was more uncomfortable and the results were not great. No nicks, cuts or irritation but would have needed a 4th pass to get what I would consider a decent shave. I didn't risk it!

So, it's in the bin and is now one of the bottom three blades I've used, along with the Croma Diamant and the Derby Extra Super Stainless. Won't be tempted to buy some Tigers any time soon.

To summarise my little travelling box blade trial: I really liked the Gillette Silver Blue (5/5), liked the Polsilver Stainless (4.5/5), Super Iridium Extra Platinum (4/5) and the Treet Platinum Super Stainless (4/5), definitely did not like the Tiger Platinum (2/5).

All in all, an interesting set of experiences with several blades I hadn't tried before.

Now, where's my ESC Claymore single-edge...

Box has been received. Lots of new stuff to try. I've been sporting a full beard for a few months now and am considering having at it with the straight but i'm damned nervous having never got around to using one before. Really appreciate that someone went to the trouble to put in everything you need to use one. Thanks Silverlifter.

What is the newer adjustable? Is it something from Yaqi?

Top Bottom