What's new

Anyone use an “aggressive” razor daily?

I use a Blackbird as my daily driver but the past few months I've been comparing blades on my CX (original high-exposure, low gap plate).
Never had any irritation problems with either.

I disagree, an aggressive razor is one with a lot of blade-feel. That's it. I agree that efficiency is different, but "aggressive" doesn't necessarily imply that it's going to hurt or damage your skin in any way. That's up to you and your technique.
I would agree. I define it as a good bit of blade feel, extremely high efficiency, with a propensity to bite if one isn't careful.

My daily razor is a Wolfman WR2 1.35 which is considered aggressive. For 2+ days growth I use a WR2 1.65 which is considered very aggressive.

I disagree, an aggressive razor is one with a lot of blade-feel. That's it. I agree that efficiency is different, but "aggressive" doesn't necessarily imply that it's going to hurt or damage your skin in any way. That's up to you and your technique.

It's still relitive though. Who decides what is ''a lot of blade-feel'' or what the ''normal'' blade feel should be? I certanly like razors to have at least a bit of a blade feel, but that's different for everyone else. Some folks are using razors with neutral exposure, while others enjoy a lot of blade feel. Skill and technique are obviously very important, but there are other factors at play here.

I first started shaving with very mild razors like Techs and Super Speeds, but then I've moved to more aggressive and efficient razors like R41, Fatip, MMOC and MMCP to name a few. I took me some time to ''master'' them and achieve a BBS without or with very little irretation as possible. Then I moved towards razors, that combie high efficiency with a good amount of smoothness like my Blackbird with the standard plate and my preference has shifted once again and I it would take a while before I go back to the razors that I've used in the past, but with a bit of practice and most importantly - patience, I see why not. I do everything much faster while shaving and I think that's the main reason why I don't enjoy some razors like I used to.

I've even seen people saying that using very mild razors to achieve a BBS is what they believe to be the pinnacle of one's skill and technique and using an aggressive razor is quite the opposite. Others believe that there's no such thing as aggressive razors and you either use them right or you don't. In other words - we all have different takes on the topic as well as our own faces, whiskers, skin types, hands etc.

It's still relitive though. Who decides what is ''a lot of blade-feel'' or what the ''normal'' blade feel should be? I certanly like razors to have at least a bit of a blade feel, but that's different for everyone else. Some folks are using razors with neutral exposure, while others enjoy a lot of blade feel. Skill and technique are obviously very important, but there are other factors at play here.

I first started shaving with very mild razors like Techs and Super Speeds, but then I've moved to more aggressive and efficient razors like R41, Fatip, MMOC and MMCP to name a few. I took me some time to ''master'' them and achieve a BBS without or with very little irretation as possible. Then I moved towards razors, that combie high efficiency with a good amount of smoothness like my Blackbird with the standard plate and my preference has shifted once again and I it would take a while before I go back to the razors that I've used in the past, but with a bit of practice and most importantly - patience, I see why not. I do everything much faster while shaving and I think that's the main reason why I don't enjoy some razors like I used to.

I've even seen people saying that using very mild razors to achieve a BBS is what they believe to be the pinnacle of one's skill and technique and using an aggressive razor is quite the opposite. Others believe that there's no such thing as aggressive razors and you either use them right or you don't. In other words - we all have different takes on the topic as well as our own faces, whiskers, skin types, hands etc.
Aggression is blade-feel.

Everyone's definition of aggressive seems to be different.

My current daily rotation is
Aylsworth Apex
Aylsworth Drakkant Plus
WCS Hyperion = Charcoal 1.5 plate.

None of these have lot of blade feel, which is AWESOME. But I feel all three are very efficient.

What I mean by aggressive is blade feel which seems to correlate with large blade gaps and positive exposure.

I feel like efficiency is the subjective term. Some are efficient with a Merkur 34c, I am not, but I’d still consider it a mild or not aggressive razor.

I dunno maybe I’ve got it mixed up?

Top Bottom