What's new

Yaqi Ghost 70 vs Ghost 90

I'm hoping they'll introduce an open comb version at some point, seeing as a dual comb titanium version has been around for a while.
Not that an open comb would be more aggressive, but it would be somewhat more versatile.

Or they won't, which I think would be a shame.
Wow. I was just about to pull the trigger on the 90SB, but the OC version of this makes so much more sense. I believe Yaqi may bring it out at some point. They have been steadily making new releases every few months

Eagerly awaiting your review on this!
@Slapo and @pyschonaut7343

Sorry for the delay, but between work and trying to tear myself away from the Drakkant Ti... well, yeah.

Yaqi Ghost 90SB vs Paradigm Salient

TLDR; I prefer the Salient but I admit, the polished Ghost is some real eye candy on the razorock haloed ufo handle.

20240330_190843.jpg

So I finally got a shave in tonight using both razors; Ghost 90SB vs Salient.
Fresh Wizamet Blades in both and attached identical Windrose Ti handles to both for the test.

Salient on the right side of face, Ghost took the left, but here's where things got strange. The Ghost is highly polished and the Salient is brushed finish. With the 90 gap on the Ghost and minimal blade exposure compared to the Salient's .12mm, I was expecting it to feel smoother. But for me, on the actual wtg cutting stroke on 2 day's growth, the Salient felt smoother even though it gives a tad more blade feel.

Also even though the Salient is smaller gap (0.70), it felt a bit easier to tweak the angle, especially when working the jawline. The Ghost desired a wee bit shallower angle but seemed more insistent about me using it, and only it. Not to take anything away from the Ghost as it was a very acceptable shave but I found myself preferring the Salient. Both razors performed well ATG but the Salient was just a more comfortable and efficient shave, especially under my jaw. My face is very angular and getting the underside of the jawline bbs can be difficult. The Salient had no problem. The difference in efficiency was not huge, but definitely noticeable after the shave while rubbing my hands around my face. Salient > Ghost 90 > Ghost70
in my estimation.

In fact, my opinion on the Salient has gone up a couple notches. It seems to fly under the radar and not get a lot of love. Perhaps due to some manufactured in China stigma even though it's designed by Paradigm Shaveware. The same might be said of the Aylsworth Apex, another stellar performer.

Anyway, that's my take. Hope it was helpful.

Last edited:

Sorry for the delay, but between work and trying to tear myself away from the Drakkant Ti... well, yeah.

TLDR; I prefer the Salient but I admit, the polished Ghost is some real eye candy on the razorock haloed ufo handle.

View attachment 1820942

Fresh Wizamet Blades in both and attached identical Windrose Ti handles to both for the test.

Salient on the right side of face, Ghost took the left, but here's where things got strange. The Ghost is highly polished and the Salient is brushed finish. With the 90 gap on the Ghost and minimal blade exposure compared to the Salient's .12mm, I was expecting it to feel smoother. But for me, on the actual wtg cutting stroke on 2 day's growth, the Salient felt smoother even though it gives a tad more blade feel.

Also even though the Salient is smaller gap (0.70), it felt a bit easier to tweak the angle, especially when working the jawline. The Ghost desired a wee bit shallower angle but seemed more insistent about me using it, and only it. Not to take anything away from the Ghost as it was a very acceptable shave but I found myself preferring the Salient. Both razors performed well ATG but the Salient was just a more comfortable and efficient shave, especially under my jaw. My face is very angular and getting the underside of the jawline bbs can be difficult. The Salient had no problem. The difference in efficiency was not huge, but definitely noticeable after the shave while rubbing my hands around my face. Salient > Ghost 90 > Ghost70
in my estimation.

In fact, my opinion on the Salient has gone up a couple notches. It seems to fly under the radar and not get a lot of love. Perhaps due to some manufactured in China stigma even though it's designed by Paradigm Shaveware. The same might be said of the Aylsworth Apex, another stellar performer.

Thanks for that. :)

Would you mind taking and sharing a photo of the Salient with a blade loaded from the side (blade tabs facing the camera), like you did with the Ghost earlier in the thread?

I'm now wondering how the Salient would compare to the stainless steel razor The Razor Company sells under their label now.
to me, that one feels almost as mild as the Ghost 90SB, but so far, I found it more efficient and easier to keep the angle with.

Maybe I'll buy a Salient should I spot it on a BST somewhere, or later on when one of their stockists would have a sale.
Having said that, it might be a redundant purchase for me, considering that the way you described it sounds kind of like the TRC razor does to me, though perhaps a touch more aggressive.

Thanks for that. :)

Would you mind taking and sharing a photo of the Salient with a blade loaded from the side (blade tabs facing the camera), like you did with the Ghost earlier in the thread?

I'm now wondering how the Salient would compare to the stainless steel razor The Razor Company sells under their label now.
to me, that one feels almost as mild as the Ghost 90SB, but so far, I found it more efficient and easier to keep the angle with.

Maybe I'll buy a Salient should I spot it on a BST somewhere, or later on when one of their stockists would have a sale.
Having said that, it might be a redundant purchase for me, considering that the way you described it sounds kind of like the TRC razor does to me, though perhaps a touch more aggressive.

Sure, here you go but proper lighting and focus is a challenge for my phone.

20240331_104514.jpg

20240331_104723.jpg

I didn't realize TRC offered so many razors now. They even have the Greencult.

Attachments

• 20240331_104723.jpg
    20240331_104723.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 6
This is the TRC razor I had in mind:
TRC-StainlessSteelDoubleEdgeSafetyRazor-BeadBlastFinish-12.jpg

It was faster to nab it from their website than to take a photo myself, but I can take one if you'd like.

@Sweeney_ : Thanks for the photos.
Looking at the Salient photo you shared, I think one could actually make it feel a little milder with little effort by pre-bending the blade (e.g. around a thin-ish pencil).
I've used this with other razors and it works quite well (or pulling/pushing the blade against the top cap if tabs are exposed).

Maybe I should start a thread about that, with photos, as it's a different way of tuning a razor-blade combination and I've not seen it shared around.

View attachment 1820942

in my estimation.

Amazing post and review! I have the 70Ghost and I find it super smooth. It also suits my style of shaving. I find that the 70Ghost does not have a fixed angle. Would you agree?

I was also very wistfully looking at 90SB, but your review tells me that I would not be remiss if I let this one go :D

Amazing post and review! I have the 70Ghost and I find it super smooth. It also suits my style of shaving. I find that the 70Ghost does not have a fixed angle. Would you agree?

I was also very wistfully looking at 90SB, but your review tells me that I would not be remiss if I let this one go :D

Thanks. For me yes, the 70ghost seems to give me more room to play, or perhaps it's just more intuitive in getting me to it's preferred angle.

Only you can say what suits you. I usually favor medium and higher aggressiveness but when I'm in the mood for a mild/smooth shave, chances are I'll pick the 70ghost over the 90.

Thanks. For me yes, the 70ghost seems to give me more room to play, or perhaps it's just more intuitive in getting me to it's preferred angle.

Only you can say what suits you. I usually favor medium and higher aggressiveness but when I'm in the mood for a mild/smooth shave, chances are I'll pick the 70ghost over the 90.

Thanks for confirming again. Ofc, YMMV always applies, but I am now not regretting giving the 90 a miss. Ghost 70SP is one smooth head. Probably one of the best Yaqi has ever released.

My top razors so far, in no particular order of preference: Ghost70SP, Pearl Blaze, Muhle Rocca, and Green Cult 1.1 all ranging from mild to medium aggressive.

I also have the Pearl Hammer, which has a crazy blade feel (for me, probably .15+), and I am in the process of getting used to it

All this talk and photo proves the thing I say all the time, China, and Chinese companies are real good at knocking off products inventor work hard on dreaming up, doing the R & D, and last bring to market. Let the other guy to the work, then we copy should be Moto of China.

Ok, having now read the evaluations published here to date it appears this time I'm the odd uncle invited to the party.

For me, the .90 SB beats the .70 SB in every single category: efficiency, smoothness/level of enjoyable blade feel, overall ease of use. I even prefer the design of the .90 SB Ghost, but this is even more so a very subjective finding.

When Yaqi started offering the SS Ghost razors heads back in 2023 there were no reviews available. Since I love flat shaped razor heads (I love them for their maneuverability) I ordered both the. 70 SB and the .90 SB SS heads in order to keep only one of the two.

When the razor heads arrived I did two rounds of side by side shaves with both heads (all other parameters being the same. Same handle, same fresh Nacet blade, same face prep. Three passes each). I shaved one side of my face with the .70SB and the other side with the .90SB. For the second shave, I switched the razors.

It didn't take me long to realize that the .90 SB easily was the obvious winner for me and my shaving habits.

I was surprised to learn that the .70 SB didn't shave as smooth as the .90 SB actually did. The .70SB Ghost required me shaving with a neutral shaving angle and I had to add a fair bit of pressure whilst applying the shaving strokes - both effects assumingly brought the scallopped bar into play, but not in a pleasant way. I wouldn't say the shaving experience was harsh with the .70 SB by any means, but the shaving comfort was significantly reduced compared to the shave on the face side where I used the .90 SB Ghost. That was true in both shaves.

Using the .90 SB Ghost I applied an almost steep shaving angle. The Nacet this time felt buttery (!) smooth. Just a responsive blade feel was noticeable for me. I tried to adjust the shaving angle with the .70SB in a sililar way (steeper angle), but it didn't work out well.

My conclusion is thanks to the difference in blade gap, the .90 is less sensitive to maintaining a proper shaving angle in crucial areas of my face (chin area, curvatured portions of the neck, jaw line with flat growing whiskers). The efficiency level definitely is higher with the .90SB head compared to the .70 SB, the difference is easily noticeable. I had to buff a lot with the .70 SB whilst doing some clean up strokes, but not so with the .90SB. Result-wise, the shave overall lasted longer on the face side which was shaved with the .90SB. Mrs JAHE certified the results.

Speaking of efficiency, I feel the .90 SB Ghost has a seat in my daily driver department. A Mühle R41 easily shaves closer, so don't expect any sorcery by the Ghost heads. But the .90 SB Ghost is a nice smooth and efficient enough shaver.

Out of memory, the .90 SB Ghost feels gentler on the skin than the .95 SB Lupo, perhaps the same goes for a comparison of blade feel with the .72 SB Lupo. Anyway, this memory needs to be refreshed, so the "grain of salt" rule is applicable. Will do in course of May, once Adjustable April is in the books.

Besides, I've already sold the .70 SB Ghost. I'm not sure an OC version of the .90 Ghost would bring anything meaningful to the table. An OC .90 Ghost might decrease the smoothness factor, I assume. But that's my take only, which certainly must not be true for you.

Mind you, I'm just the odd uncle here after all 😜

Cheers!

Last edited:
I had my first shave with the Yaqi Ghost 90, the result was good. There is very little exposure with this head. I did a card stock test and it is positive, but not much. That's fine by me. It didn't yet feel smooth shaving and I was trying to find the optimal angle. Given small exposure, am I right to assume near neutral? What are other owners finding?

@spacemonkey42

For me and my face:
Neutral shaving angle with the .70 baseplate, steep to neutral with the .90 baseplate.

Just try different angles. The angle which works best for you IS the proper shaving angle.

Which blade did you use?

I used an Astra SS the first shave and a Perma-Sharp this morning. The Perma-Sharp was smoother and worked better for me.

As for angles, I'm finding it has a fairly narrow range at which it is effective. Surely due to the just slightly positive exposure. That's fine by me, just means I have to stay neutral or the blade is pulled off my skin. It delivered a great shave with no irritation.

Top Bottom