What's new

Yaqi Ghost 70 vs Ghost 90

Hi, I would like to ask if anyone who has both plates / razors (or tried at least one) can share opinions about what found best for daily shaving in terms of efficiency and smoothness...Tried to understand if 70 is too mild or 90 too aggressive
Thanks

Both feel mild. I originally picked up the .70 and it's smooth with very little blade feel. For me it's really efficient but I don't feel like it's doing anything with very little audible or blade feel, but it's just me being used to needing more blade feel and sound. This is also using the titanium version which is lighter, I felt like I wanted a tad more out of the razor so I was using slightly more pressure. I did pick up the .90 in stainless and it's only a little more blade feel and does shave closer for me with less touch ups. The .70 is a safe autopilot shave, I just need a few more touch ups with it.

I could daily shave with either model daily. Blade feel is roughly like a tech with a larger usable angle and more efficient.

Both feel mild. I originally picked up the .70 and it's smooth with very little blade feel. For me it's really efficient but I don't feel like it's doing anything with very little audible or blade feel, but it's just me being used to needing more blade feel and sound. This is also using the titanium version which is lighter, I felt like I wanted a tad more out of the razor so I was using slightly more pressure. I did pick up the .90 in stainless and it's only a little more blade feel and does shave closer for me with less touch ups. The .70 is a safe autopilot shave, I just need a few more touch ups with it.

I could daily shave with either model daily. Blade feel is roughly like a tech with a larger usable angle and more efficient.
Thanks, I really appreciate your opinion. I was thinking about the 0.9 hoping it was just like you described, still smooth but closer than 0.7 without being too aggressive. Less touch ups and little more blade feel but still smooth to daily shave is exactly wat I am looking for
Thanks again.

Thank you for your post. I'm also curious about the ghost razors.

When you say it is really efficient, how efficient are we talking ?

Any chance you could compare the efficiency of the .70mm and the .90mm to some common razors we know ? (DE89, 34c, GameChanger .68P, GameChanger .84P, EJ 3one6, Muhle Rocca, Karve Overlander, Lupo .58, Lupo .72, or other) ?

I've read somewhere someone describe the ghost .70mm as more efficient than the GameChanger .68P which is interesting and surprising since the GC 68P is almost the same blade gap but with slightly positive exposure while the ghost is supposed to be neutral exposure.

I also noticed that the 0.70 ss plate has kind of scalloped safety bar while the 0.90 ss has smooth safety bar. Does this make any difference? Are there any more differences between them?

Thank you for your post. I'm also curious about the ghost razors.

When you say it is really efficient, how efficient are we talking ?

Any chance you could compare the efficiency of the .70mm and the .90mm to some common razors we know ? (DE89, 34c, GameChanger .68P, GameChanger .84P, EJ 3one6, Muhle Rocca, Karve Overlander, Lupo .58, Lupo .72, or other) ?

I've read somewhere someone describe the ghost .70mm as more efficient than the GameChanger .68P which is interesting and surprising since the GC 68P is almost the same blade gap but with slightly positive exposure while the ghost is supposed to be neutral exposure.
I can get to almost the same level with either razor, the .70 just takes a little more pressure and a few extra touch ups. For me it was as good if not better than my Lupo .95 with less blade feel. Not sure about the Lupo 1.27 but that's a different shave with more blade feel. Also I only use Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades because they work well in all my razors, and I switch out razors frequently. So a sharper blade might behave differently, but other comments I've seen would suggest it still should be pretty smooth.

I used the Ghost 70SP, very slight positive exposure, but you don't feel the blade. It's also very efficient. I don't apply any pressure at all. It does require WTG, XTG passes at the very least. ATG you will get BBS.

It has been one of the smoothest shavers, I have used in a while. I don't have Razorock GC .68 or 84, or EJ DE89 to compare with. But I would highly recommend getting one. There was no feedback from alum after 3 passes.

I had paired this head with the Indian GWS, and it gave me a nice shave. I suspect the 90 head will be even more efficient. If I had to buy again, I would go for the 90 gap instead of 70. But that does not imply I don't like the 70

After posting this I wanted to run through the Lupo .95 and Ghost .90 to verify my last post was accurate, since it was from memory.
I also used the Timeless .95 just for another comparison of something in the same gap range.
The Ghost is hands down the most smooth of the 3, very close but doesn't last as long as the Timeless or the Lupo. The Ghost has very little blade feel compared to the other 2 and almost makes the Lupo seem aggressive with the difference in amount of blade that's felt. The Ghost post shave feel is great, smooth clean shaven without the exfoliation feeling. It's also the least efficient of the group for me, which isn't really that bad since the other 2 are really great razors that last 10+ hours for me. If the Lupo .95 or Timeless .95 is a but much for you as a daily razor the Ghost is a good option.

After posting this I wanted to run through the Lupo .95 and Ghost .90 to verify my last post was accurate, since it was from memory.
I also used the Timeless .95 just for another comparison of something in the same gap range.
The Ghost is hands down the most smooth of the 3, very close but doesn't last as long as the Timeless or the Lupo. The Ghost has very little blade feel compared to the other 2 and almost makes the Lupo seem aggressive with the difference in amount of blade that's felt. The Ghost post shave feel is great, smooth clean shaven without the exfoliation feeling. It's also the least efficient of the group for me, which isn't really that bad since the other 2 are really great razors that last 10+ hours for me. If the Lupo .95 or Timeless .95 is a but much for you as a daily razor the Ghost is a good option.
Thanks, very explaining post about what I was looking for. Lupo and timeless seem a little too much (for me at least) to be considered daily driver where the ghost seems to be a great choice.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Are the Ghosts clones of the recent Paradigm razors made in China or of Yates heads?

Any idea, can someone compare/comment?

Are the Ghosts clones of the recent Paradigm razors made in China or of Yates heads?

Any idea, can someone compare/comment?
I haven't tried that Paradigm models, but to my eye (from pictures), they are different.

I think the Ghosts are essentially very Tech-like base plates with Henson-like top caps.

I haven't tried that Paradigm models, but to my eye (from pictures), they are different.

I think the Ghosts are essentially very Tech-like base plates with Henson-like top caps.

Agree. Not quite the same but kissing cousins perhaps. Can't say I agree with Henson-like caps. No forcing the angle here.

Ghost on left. Salient R
20231109_113334.jpg

20231109_113054.jpg

Ghost Ti head
20231024_080516.jpg

Henson
steelblue-05.jpg

The Ghost head is super thin which is one of my favorite characteristics. The only other razor I own with a head that thin is the Salient and Wolfman WR1.

And yes, that is exactly what comes to my mind with the Ghost Ti 70sb,
With it's blade clamping, comfort, mildness and narrow shaving angle, a Titanium Tech.

Agree. Not quite the same but kissing cousins perhaps. Can't say I agree with Henson-like caps. No forcing the angle here.

Ghost on left. Salient R
View attachment 1816763

View attachment 1816762

Ghost Ti head
View attachment 1816765

Henson
View attachment 1816767

The Ghost head is super thin which is one of my favorite characteristics. The only other razor I own with a head that thin is the Salient and Wolfman WR1.

And yes, that is exactly what comes to my mind with the Ghost Ti 70sb,
With it's blade clamping, comfort, mildness and narrow shaving angle, a Titanium Tech.
Hmmm, I was wrong and you're right.
I double checked mine visually as well and also used flat(ish) soap box for confirmation, and the almost flat facets on the top cap aren't actually useable as guides, but are there as a result of making a slimmer head by flattening the top cap.
The slightly rounded (but almost flat) upper front of the safety bar actually does line up with the blade edge and the edge of the top cap, so it can serve as a sort of guide. It would've been nice if they'd extended it a little on the top cap as well, but I suppose the current design leaves less room for people to complain about drag.

I do wish they'd have made the lather slots/holes a little larger, but they clear well enough, especially with the larger 90SB plate.

Hmmm, I was wrong and you're right.
I double checked mine visually as well and also used flat(ish) soap box for confirmation, and the almost flat facets on the top cap aren't actually useable as guides, but are there as a result of making a slimmer head by flattening the top cap.
The slightly rounded (but almost flat) upper front of the safety bar actually does line up with the blade edge and the edge of the top cap, so it can serve as a sort of guide. It would've been nice if they'd extended it a little on the top cap as well, but I suppose the current design leaves less room for people to complain about drag.

I do wish they'd have made the lather slots/holes a little larger, but they clear well enough, especially with the larger 90SB plate.

Haha, I could care less about being right or wrong. That's the biggest problem with the internet. ;)
My motto is always stay teachable.
Knowledge and learning take precedence imo.

Agreed concerning the lather channels. My only other complaint is I wish the Ghost (70 and 90) had just slightly more blade exposure but perhaps that's just my personal preference. As a daily shaver, it's fine. I took advantage of the sale on Ali to order the stainless 70 with the scalloped bar last week but I really don't expect a noticeable difference. Just thought a little more lather access to the blade might add even more to the smoothness.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Slapo @Sweeney_ thanks a lot, great comparison! The Tech idea is sound, they already look a bit like the Tech, so "stamped" (Techs had a stamped baseplate and a cast cap, IIRC) looking given how flat the heads are, both plate and cap, but made by CNC machining.

This one irritated me, as they started with it straight away with the Titanium version first. They now have it as SS head, too, though interestingly only the .70 gap version has a scalloped bar.

Reportedly it is on the very mild side. I hear you when you say a bit more blade exposure would be to your liking. So I rather took something else that tickled my fancy quite for a while already:

A Yaqi Bohemia and fitting pin stand are already on the way, let's see if they come up with something else before the next sale. :)

Haha, I could care less about being right or wrong. That's the biggest problem with the internet. ;)
My motto is always stay teachable.
Knowledge and learning take precedence imo.

Agreed concerning the lather channels. My only other complaint is I wish the Ghost (70 and 90) had just slightly more blade exposure but perhaps that's just my personal preference. As a daily shaver, it's fine. I took advantage of the sale on Ali to order the stainless 70 with the scalloped bar last week but I really don't expect a noticeable difference. Just thought a little more lather access to the blade might add even more to the smoothness.
I'm hoping they'll introduce an open comb version at some point, seeing as a dual comb titanium version has been around for a while.
Not that an open comb would be more aggressive, but it would be somewhat more versatile.

Or they won't, which I think would be a shame.

@Slapo @Sweeney_ thanks a lot, great comparison! The Tech idea is sound, they already look a bit like the Tech, so "stamped" (Techs had a stamped baseplate and a cast cap, IIRC) looking given how flat the heads are, both plate and cap, but made by CNC machining.

This one irritated me, as they started with it straight away with the Titanium version first. They now have it as SS head, too, though interestingly only the .70 gap version has a scalloped bar.

Reportedly it is on the very mild side. I hear you when you say a bit more blade exposure would be to your liking. So I rather took something else that tickled my fancy quite for a while already:

A Yaqi Bohemia and fitting pin stand are already on the way, let's see if they come up with something else before the next sale. :)
The Ghosts are mild, but pretty much on par with the round base plate Techs.

I had my eye on the Bohemia since it was released, but after owning and selling a Home Type 15, in part due to its large head, I'd like to see a version with a slim, single sided base plate.

Top Bottom