What's new

Any WHEEL GUN lovers out there...?

Here is a Smith & Wesson Model 10 2-inch revolver with round butt of which the Model 64 is the stainless steel variant.
proxy.php

What a beautiful snub! There is just something about the Model 10. That one is gorgeous.

"What do you mean a revolver's got a cylinder gap? Prove it."

It's a little tough to see, but the bullet is in flight about five inches in front of the barrel. This is a .357 Magnum, and the camera activated before any recoil. Not your average Nikon.:001_smile

Attachments

• $44 Magnum.jpg
    $44 Magnum.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
"What do you mean a revolver's got a cylinder gap? Prove it."

It's a little tough to see, but the bullet is in flight about five inches in front of the barrel. This is a .44 Magnum, and the camera activated before any recoil. Not your average Nikon.:001_smile

The revolver in the photo is a .357 Magnum. It's a Colt of the 1950s-1960s time period. Could be one of two Colt models, the 3 5 7 or the Trooper. Both would have the same distinctive barrel/front sight profile.

proxy.php

This is a 6-inch 3 5 7

proxy.php

The revolver in the photo is a .357 Magnum. It's a Colt of the 1950s-1960s time period. Could be one of two Colt models, the 3 5 7 or the Trooper. Both would have the same distinctive barrel/front sight profile.
I believe you are correct. This photo came from some I found online last year that was actually promoting the camera and not the gun. It was described as a 44 magnum. I'll edit my original post. Good catch.

When I first got my permit, like most people, I was chomping at the bit for a 1911. A very knowledgeable friend of mine convinced me to get a 60's S&W Model 10 4-inch in great condition swearing that I would love it. The price was right ($175) so I picked it up. I'm so glad I did - it's my favorite handgun - I like it even more than my fancy 1911.

If I had the money, I think my next handgun would be a M1917.

Last edited:
When I first got my permit, like most people, I was chomping at the bit for a 1911. A very knowledgeable friend of mine convinced me to get a 60's S&W Model 10 4-inch in great condition swearing that I would love it. The price was right ($175) so I picked it up. I'm so glad I did - it's my favorite handgun - I like it even more than my fancy 1911.

If I had the money, I think my next handgun would be a M1917.

Anyone got an M1917? I have never shot a revolver chambered for 45 ACP; would like to one day. Maybe a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. Smith 625.

Last edited:
Anyone got an M1917? I have never shot a revolver chambered for 45 ACP; would like to one day. Maybe a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. Smith 625.
proxy.php

A Model 1917 Colt (top) and a Model 1917 (bottom) Smith & Wesson live here. They're 95 years old now but still excellent revolvers that see occasional use. Great with appropriate handloads.

Here is my latest acquisition. Colt police positive made in 1959. I needed a .32 like I needed a whole in my head, but just couldn't resist.

$P6010002.jpg$P6010003.jpg

That's an appealing Police Positive, both because of the chambering and because of the nickel. It has a good pair of stocks too.

Some judicious use of Mother's Mag Polish might diminish or remove the fine hair-like scratches of what appears to be a still sound nickel job.

Thank you! The nickel is still in good shape except for some wear along the back strap. When I saw the phot the first thought I had was WOW! the flash really shows every tiny mark.

Nickel guns' popularity seems to have been cyclic. Colt nickel guns in the 1950s-1960s seem to be much more uncommon than their blue guns and also much more uncommon than the nickel guns of their traditional competitor, Smith & Wesson. Your gun is just now one often seen. Most were .38 Special and most were blue.

proxy.php

Here's one of my favorite revolvers. It's a S&W Model 1917, a couple of full moon clips and a couple of the original style half moons, as well as a tool for popping the cartridges out of the clips. I think I even have a box or two of .45 Auto Rim brass as well.

She was made in the last days of the contract, in January of 1919. I'm not sure, but I think she's been re-blued, even though the markings are all nice and crisp. Some prior owner has cut some checkering on the front of the trigger guard, moving it from collectible to the shooter category, even though they did a real nice job of it.

With the full moon clips it's like having a built in speedloader. Ninety-three years old and it shoots just fine.

While it was made too late to go "over there" with the Doughboys, I sure wish it could talk. From the condition I'm guessing it probably didn't see active service in WWII or Korea. Maybe it followed a soldier home, or maybe it was sold as surplus after being issued for rear area guard duty.

As much as I love my 1911 autos, I'd not hesitate to reach for this wheelgun in a crisis, and it may well become my "house gun" if time ever robs me of the ability to manipulate a slide.

Great thread.

If you can find one, they are worth having.

Thank you! You are getting me interested in chasing this guns history a bit more. I may have to send off to colt to see what they can tell me.

Nickel guns' popularity seems to have been cyclic. Colt nickel guns in the 1950s-1960s seem to be much more uncommon than their blue guns and also much more uncommon than the nickel guns of their traditional competitor, Smith & Wesson. Your gun is just now one often seen. Most were .38 Special and most were blue.

Top Bottom