What's new

An Introduction & RAD is Real

I originally dabbled with proper wet shaving back in 2016. I fell into it with a 'Standard' aluminum razor (not sure that brand still exists) and the other basic accessories thanks to a Bespoke Post box. I enjoyed it and bought one 60's super speed to have a comparison. However, moving, having kids, job, etc. derailed the hobby and I didn't use a safety razor from 2017 until a few months ago.

I picked up the Standard razor again on a whim while cleaning out a bathroom drawer. I still had several soaps (Tabac, DR Harris Arlington, Proraso) and the same cheap badger brush and it has been off to the races. I've picked up several new modern razors (RR Gamechanger .68, Aluminum Lupo, Merkur 34c, Parker Variant) but I've really fallen down the rabbit hole with vintage razors. Truly an embarrassing amount of old Gillettes have arrived in my mail box. It's just so damned fun though to compare and contrast them all. Now I'm eyeing more soaps and (God forbid!) brushes.

Anyway, I'm just having a blast with the whole process and reading the posts on this forum have really added to the whole experience. Thank you!

I originally dabbled with proper wet shaving back in 2016. I fell into it with a 'Standard' aluminum razor (not sure that brand still exists) and the other basic accessories thanks to a Bespoke Post box. I enjoyed it and bought one 60's super speed to have a comparison. However, moving, having kids, job, etc. derailed the hobby and I didn't use a safety razor from 2017 until a few months ago.

I picked up the Standard razor again on a whim while cleaning out a bathroom drawer. I still had several soaps (Tabac, DR Harris Arlington, Proraso) and the same cheap badger brush and it has been off to the races. I've picked up several new modern razors (RR Gamechanger .68, Aluminum Lupo, Merkur 34c, Parker Variant) but I've really fallen down the rabbit hole with vintage razors. Truly an embarrassing amount of old Gillettes have arrived in my mail box. It's just so damned fun though to compare and contrast them all. Now I'm eyeing more soaps and (God forbid!) brushes.

Anyway, I'm just having a blast with the whole process and reading the posts on this forum have really added to the whole experience. Thank you!
You're welcome.
I, too, fell down the rabbit hole and like you have many more razors than I need, including vintage Gillette Super Speeds. It's a fun hobby. I've given up or scaled back some of my other hobbies so at least this one is practical and reasonably affordable.
Have fun!

Welcome to B&B! The rabbit hole is a very well known place to most of us. And razors is just one aspect of this hobby. I too have acquired many vintage razors and it is great fun using them. I am more at ease now.

You have listed some great razors and curious of course to your other additions.

Cheers and enjoy!

Guido

You're welcome.
I, too, fell down the rabbit hole and like you have many more razors than I need, including vintage Gillette Super Speeds. It's a fun hobby. I've given up or scaled back some of my other hobbies so at least this one is practical and reasonably affordable.
Have fun!
That is the great thing! it is reasonably affordable so I don’t feel very guilty.

Welcome to B&B! The rabbit hole is a very well known place to most of us. And razors is just one aspect of this hobby. I too have acquired many vintage razors and it is great fun using them. I am more at ease now.

You have listed some great razors and curious of course to your other additions.

Cheers and enjoy!

Guido
Too many vintage additions… 5 Superspeeds (40s-60s), 6 techs (ball handle, fat handle, etc), a fat boy, 2 slims, 2 black beauty’s, one knack, one old type with a cracked handle (that I’m too afraid to use), one new type LC, and one late 40s US aristocrat. Also a Schick Krona. Thanks for the welcome!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy

Welcome to B&B! Btw I'm a fan of O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin books and have read the complete series twice ;)

Welcome to B&B! Btw I'm a fan of O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin books and have read the complete series twice ;)
They’re my favorites. I go back go to them every few years and always enjoy how they sparkle like new. If you haven’t listened to them, I highly recommend Patrick Tull as a narrator on audiobook.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Fellow new member here as well, seems like an awesome crowd, and the resources available here are amazing.

I hear you on the 'process'. It's a big part of the experience for me as well, it gives me a chance to take care of myself, time away from my desk in the late morning to not stress and to give myself a break. It's often my "carrot" and marker to get through a fast paced day.

Fellow new member here as well, seems like an awesome crowd, and the resources available here are amazing.

I hear you on the 'process'. It's a big part of the experience for me as well, it gives me a chance to take care of myself, time away from my desk in the late morning to not stress and to give myself a break. It's often my "carrot" and marker to get through a fast paced day.
Exactly! Manly self-care. I really enjoy the routine aspect.

Top Bottom