What's new

5 x straights info?

Hi gents

New in the straight razor world, but I have bought these five razors, got them honed by a pro in a Swedish shave group. Are they any good? 🤷🏼‍♂️
IMG_2106.jpeg
IMG_2109.jpeg
IMG_2107.jpeg
IMG_2108.jpeg
IMG_2104.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2105.jpeg
    IMG_2105.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 6

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Sure, those are fine razors. You are off to a good start. Anything that says "Eskilstuna" on the shank is good steel, and if they are not badly pitted and not cracked, they will probably work fine.

Legion

Staff member
Nice. Swedish razors can sometimes be tricky to hone, because the steel is usually quite hard. But once honed they hold their edge a long time and shave well. Those are all good quality razors.

Five Super Shavers in great shaving condition. I have several E.A. Berg razors, plane blades and chisels, great steel.

Especially like that Bergman, French point, and grind. Easy to hone and a great shaver.

Pro-honed brace of quality straights is the way to start with straights. Ask your honer how he finished them, get the same finishing stone, and a good strop and you’ll be shaving fine for a long time.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I had a good first shave with Erik Anton Berg, it was easier to handle compared to other straights I have tried 🤘🏻
You are off to a flying start. Congratulations on your initial foray into pogonotomia (from the Greek words πώγων pogon and τέμνω témno) meaning the art of shaving.

Five Super Shavers in great shaving condition. I have several E.A. Berg razors, plane blades and chisels, great steel.

Especially like that Bergman, French point, and grind. Easy to hone and a great shaver.

Pro-honed brace of quality straights is the way to start with straights. Ask your honer how he finished them, get the same finishing stone, and a good strop and you’ll be shaving fine for a long time.
Bergmann is German right?

I have a few Swedes in my collection. And once honed they are very good shavers.

In my experience the Swedes preferred a narrower blade, typically 4/8 or 5/8. Sometimes a 6/8 or larger will show up but very infrequently. You will find more 3/8 than cleavers.

The narrow 3/8 and 4/8 take some time to get used to.

The Söderen will probably take time to get used to as the tang is thin (I have a Heljestrand and an E A Berg that are similar). I found it difficult at first getting used to keeping a solid grip when shaving.

A fine collection you have there.

Tried Bergmann tonight, it seems smoother than this other ones, very strange but it was really a comfi shave 🤷🏼‍♂️ (got a small cut from the tip though)

Top Bottom