What's new

My First Purchase

Well I found something on ebay that I thought looked pretty good.

I got a Genco Co. “Fluid Steel” 5/8” Straight Razor.

It says in the Company info on this website if I am reading it right that it was manufactured from 1902-1935 in Bradford PA.

I am having a hard time believing this Straight razor is from that time frame. It looks to new to be that old.

Any ways I will get it and then most likely send it out to get it honed.

I spent just a little over $50 to get started on my straight Razor journey.

Pictures attached. How did I do for a starter razor?
s-l1600 (11).jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 27
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 21
  • s-l1600 (12).jpg
    s-l1600 (12).jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 18
  • s-l1600 (13).jpg
    s-l1600 (13).jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 18
  • s-l1600 (17).jpg
    s-l1600 (17).jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 24
Well I found something on ebay that I thought looked pretty good.

I got a Genco Co. “Fluid Steel” 5/8” Straight Razor.

It says in the Company info on this website if I am reading it right that it was manufactured from 1902-1935 in Bradford PA.

I am having a hard time believing this Straight razor is from that time frame. It looks to new to be that old.

Any ways I will get it and then most likely send it out to get it honed.

I spent just a little over $50 to get started on my straight Razor journey.

Pictures attached. How did I do for a starter razor?View attachment 1762171
Don’t forget you need a strop!

That's next. I have read that Tony Miller is the way to go. I have also read to get one with a handle to start out. What should I get to learn before getting a nicer one. I think I would like to get one with a handle. As I don't really have anywhere to hang one in my small bathroom.

Legion

Staff member
That's next. I have read that Tony Miller is the way to go. I have also read to get one with a handle to start out. What should I get to learn before getting a nicer one. I think I would like to get one with a handle. As I don't really have anywhere to hang one in my small bathroom.
You mean a paddle strop?

I don't hang my strop in the bathroom. That would just be asking for my wife or kid to splash it. I keep it hanging in my closet (the same closet I keep my razors in).

Not even a doorknob ?

Nice looking razor.

Geneva Cutlery made Genco razors between 1916 and 1935. Geneva sold their razor division and trademark "Genco" to W.R. Case & Sons of Bradford in 1936.

I own three Case razors including one Genco. The grind on all three razors is flawless.

Congratulations you bought one of the premier razors from the Little Valley of New York during the prime of their quality and production. Genco advertised making 6,000 razors a week at their peak.

Genco’s and Genevia’s are very well ground razors. Buying a quality, well ground razor in near mint condition for $50 is money well spent. You could not touch a new modern razor of that quality for nearly 10 times that price.

I own several Genco’s, and all are super shavers.

I agree buy a Tony Miller entry strop, he sells replacement leather should you nick your strop learning to strop, a common problem.

Stropping is your last chance to perfect the edge before it touches your face, don’t skimp on strop quality.

Enjoy.

The age of the razor is authentic. The quality of the razor is superb. They did make tons of Gencos, so they aren't exceptionally collectible. But they are superb razors. FWIW, I paid just under $30 for a Genco "Army Navy" that has some hone wear and is pretty beat up, but still easily usable. I paid that price happily. I also had a " Fluid Steel" until I dropped it on ceramic tile and shattered the blade. They both shave(d) like laser beams. I think you did OK paying $50 for that razor. Not the greatest deal on earth, but you certainly didn't get ripped off. Not even close. In fact, given the shape of the coffin and the likelihood it's original to that razor, I would say you got a very good value.

I add a loop of nylon cord and loop it on my bathroom sink faucet .....works for me .....I like that razor and also the white scales Pete

Top Bottom