What's new

Upgrade from a Gold Dollar 66

Am relatively new to straight razor shaving and have 2 GD66 and a Gold Monkey 6/8 razors. These were acquired as a cheap introduction to straight razor shaving. I am thinking ahead of a suitable quality upgrade from the GD.

Any suggestions/recommendations.
Budget would be around $100.

Thanks

Open a WTB thread in the BST for some vintage Sheffield steel. Well within your budget, and will be a huge upgrade in terms of quality and face feel.
@Doti B
I think before you worry about a particular brand you need to decide on your preferred grind.
If you’re going to look at Sheffield blades they are probably going to be near edges or close to that.
I’m sure your Gold Dollars are full hollow.
If you’ve never used something like a near wedge it will be a completely different face feel for you. I’m just making you aware of that

Hey Doti

I see you're a gunners fan, so guessing you're from the UK.
(how are you liking Trossard?)

Ertan Suer (French) has some very affordable, nice and shave ready straights in his EBay store.

His ebay nick is cocoricoco1900. You can also order his razors (and other brands) from rasoir sabre.

Revisor Solingen is based in Germany and offers a wide variety of shave ready vintage and new straights.

Buy vintage American, Little Valley early 1900’s. There are tons of these razors in Antique stores and on eBay. $5-60, with little to no hone wear.

Just now, on the first half of the first page there are half a dozen nice razors, $5-60.

BTW on the first page there are many nice German razors, under $50 also. There is a clean Adoration at $60, buy now. Buy a razor with no rust, pitting, cracks or chips, and little hone wear.

Early 1900’s American, New York Little Valley razors were made at the pinnacle of straight razor manufacturing and many were as good or better than any razor made today.

Legion

Staff member
Plenty of good Depression era options from Germany and Sheffield that can be had, shave ready, for that price.

Two brands that I have owned lots of and have always been reliable, Bengall and Gotta. Can't go wrong with either of those as long as they are in good shape, and have been honed well.

figure out size and grind as said. the 66s are really about 1/2 hollow unless you thinned up towards the spine. full hollows are probably a good choice. anything vintage in good shape is likely to do you well.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Good advice from your fellow enthusiasts. Well honed basic 5/8 approximately + or - Heljestrand, Neistrom, or similar Swedish steel MANY available in the $60-100 range is my suggestion. I’m partial to them for their consistency and minimalist utility.
D1FF8C16-FDED-452E-9023-3B7AE64BBFA5.jpeg

Top Bottom