What's new

Bleckmann Solingen Straight Razor Info?

Just purchased a Bleckmann Solingen #93 Straight Razor - anyone have info on this brand? This is my first straight purchase, so I hope it's a good one. As a straight noob, I went for the rounded edge and hollow grind.

Here's the photo:

Straight.jpg

I’ve never heard of the brand but that doesn’t mean anything - there have been a million solingen brands over the years and a bad one is the exception.

You’ll need to hone that edge or (preferably) send it out to a honemeister. I can see a chip in the middle of the edge. Other than that it looks basically unused.

If you don’t have a strop you’ll need one of those as well. Tony Miller makes a quality beginner strop for a good price. Welcome to the addiction!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Schoeller-Bleckman was a steel maker acquired by Bōhler early in the 20th century I believe. They marketed their steel as did Böhler, as Phoenix steel. I can’t see what’s on the tang but it appears to have wings. Possible that the razor is associated with this brand?

Schoeller-Bleckman was a steel maker acquired by Bōhler early in the 20th century I believe. They marketed their steel as did Böhler, as Phoenix steel. I can’t see what’s on the tang but it appears to have wings. Possible that the razor is associated with this brand?
I wondered the same thing.

Not familiar with the brand but looks to be well ground and in excellent condition with very little hone wear.

Could use some heel correction, looks to have been honed on the stabilizer, which would have prevented fully honing the heel half of the razor, do not see a full bevel at the heel.

Moving the heel corner forward about a quarter inch will allow the razor to sit flat on the stone and fully hone the heel.

I have purchased many pristine razors with edge issues, mostly heels that needed profiling. I suspect the original owner could not get the heel honed properly and gave up putting the razor away and preserving it in a near new condition.

Heel correction is a 5-minute fix, quick and easy to do, the metal at the heel is thin. Most razors I see, in for honing, even new razors benefit from heel correction/reprofiling. It is or should be part of honing maintenance.

(HEEL CORRECTION – REPROFILING)

Top Bottom