What's new

First Straight-razor

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 23.01.58.jpgScreenshot 2024-03-20 at 23.09.55.jpgScreenshot 2024-03-20 at 23.23.04.jpgScreenshot 2024-03-20 at 23.32.09.jpg

Nihao Badger & Blade!

My name is Diver. American guy living in China. I mention this because as we discuss I hope you know it is harder for me to find a straight razor and likely more expensive than what it should be. Ok, well, I wish to purchase my first Straight Razor and I seek your advice/thoughts regarding. My idea is to post a few 'in the running' and gradually narrow down the field by getting your feedback and comparing with others. My criteria are- 'coolness' factor, uniqueness, quality construction, exotic quality of Scales, serviceability, and lastly, price.

I'll post initial photo, then others if interest is shown and the price I can get it for (USD). Hope to hear from you all.

I'd buy the Polgacrup, subject to a higher res photo. If the edge is not damaged by pitting/corrosion, it should hone up beautifully. You'll need to find someone capable to hone it, though. That is the only criteria that matters for your first straight: the quality of the edge.

thx silver,, I'm leaning that way on Uniqueness + Price. I'll post a couple more pics today after work. Thanks. I have No Idea in the World how to find someone to hone here.

This looks to be your closest option...

First razor, risky because that corrosion could have compromised the steel deep and it's right on the edge.
Third option, I don't understand why that TI is so expensive. That's more than a NOS Filarmonica 14. That's insane.

If you can't hone or have no access to honing I would recommend you go to this website,
He ships worldwide and has new and old/restored razors.

Buy something from a trusted seller.
The internet goes everywhere and so does UPS/FedEx/USPS.

Be sure to buy something you really like so you want to use it every day.

Check the BST and don't buy the first thing that pops into your inbox.
There are plenty of people in the shaving community that can help you get started off on a good foot.
There are many reputable sellers that you can locate through contacts on B&B.
Your location might, or might not, complicate things but since you are on B&B I think you can probably find what you're looking for easily enough.

Many internet sellers not known in the community are actually clueless, and only care about their bottom line.

Make sure the seller in question is known for selling razors with edges that are known to be shave-ready.
Avoid junk and gambling. When starting off, go for a sure thing.

First razor, risky because that corrosion could have compromised the steel deep and it's right on the edge.
Third option, I don't understand why that TI is so expensive. That's more than a NOS Filarmonica 14. That's insane.

If you can't hone or have no access to honing I would recommend you go to this website,
He ships worldwide and has new and old/restored razors.
Thanks, yeah,, price of that TI blew me away, just wanted you guys to see it.

What about checking with a Japanese vender? Plenty on the big auction sites.
haha,, please don't think I live in 1986,,,, but I don't even know what an 'auction' site is, other than it must auction things. I'm not sure I know how to navigate those things, I just look at the normal site here in China.... taobao.

“but I don't even know what an 'auction' site is, other than it must auction things.”

Ask your kids, grandkids or the little girl across the street. Those are crazy prices for what you are getting.

Tons of pristine vintage for a fraction of the cost with way better quality.

Perhaps @lasta can assist.

If I am not mistaken he moved to China a while ago. He used to use straight razors until someone sold him a pack of Gillette silver blue blades.

Ebay would be the first auction site that comes to mind. But as others have mentionned, you should make sure you buy from someone who is known to deliver shave ready razors.

Yeah, good idea. I'm seeing some decent Dovo on Xianyu,,, mostly it's those $5-15 junk,,, but some treasures too. This is a Dovo on there...

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 20.35.26 Large.jpeg

Top Bottom