What's new

2015 DEvette passaround

My £3.40 inc p&p RiMei (with one free RiMei blade which, like the Chinese Rhinos are excellent) arrived today.

I'm pretty sure it's the same model as the one being used in this passaround, and I already have a guardless baseplate from my old RiMei so it's good to go.

Having tried both methods, I'm also pretty sure that using a guardless baseplate gives a smoother shave than without a baseplate, especially ATG, since the baseplate means that the blade is braced both above and below along its entire length thus minimising flex.

My £3.40 inc p&p RiMei (with one free RiMei blade which, like the Chinese Rhinos are excellent) arrived today.

I'm pretty sure it's the same model as the one being used in this passaround, and I already have a guardless baseplate from my old RiMei so it's good to go.

Having tried both methods, I'm also pretty sure that using a guardless baseplate gives a smoother shave than without a baseplate, especially ATG, since the baseplate means that the blade is braced both above and below along its entire length thus minimising flex.

I don't actually know what razor I destroyed modified for the passaround. I always have a few cheap razors lying around to give away to my sons' friends. I know that the baseplate was made from some type of zamak, since it clearly was not brass.
In any event, I'm looking forward to your thoughts.
And, who knows, maybe there will be a UK passaround?:tongue_sm

Third try tonight. I got a real nice cut that bled a lot. Cheek....neck...ear...no my thumb! I was setting the stage for the shave and I bumped the razor (and I mean a tiny bump, more of a nudge really) and the razor (which is standing on its short ends) fell onto my thumb. With no safety bar the blade came to rest on in my thumb.

After some first aid I resumed my shave.

For this shave I followed the advice given here to shave at a very steep angle. So with the blade at a near 90° angle I started the shave. The first thing to point out is that if you are placing a blade perpendicular to skin then the matra of no pressure means no pressure!!!!
I finished off my cheeks without any issues and the right side of my neck went just as well. The left side of my neck was trickier due to my hand was blocking my view in spots. This caused concern since I'm placing a sharp blade edge on my skin and it is nice to see where that happens. Though a little tricky the first pass was nice.

I won't bore you with the XTG since it went much like the last.

The ATG wasnt too eventful either but there is some blade chatter. Maybe I went too steep but it did feel more like I was just about scraping, not quite though. I ended with a good shave. Broke out the Alum block and no real sting. A little Shave balm and face feels very smooth and soft. I did get a few little weeper on the left side of my neck. A closer look in the mirror revealed three little dots of blood in a row. This is actually where I placed the blade on the skin with just a little pressure. It looks like I may end up with something that will look like a scratch, the exact length of a DE blade.

I'm packing this up tomorrow as I have another pass around that arrived today in the mail. So here are my final thoughts:

Got a good shave and it isn't as scary as you think it may be. If you stick with a shallow angle it is really no different that a regular DE razor. It is when you go steeper that things go scary. At near 90° you are mostly on the blade edge so you are the only safety. It is down to just you and the blade. Use pressure and you will get cut, move laterally and you will get cut.

So in the end: YES....NO......YES

Did I get a good shave, YES I did. Close lasting smoothness.

Would I buy one made this way or modify a razor, NO I wouldn't. I saw no real gain and the risk just doesn't seem worth it.

Am I glad I did this, YES I am. I now have bragging rights and am now awaiting my "I Survived" T-shirt.

DrAwkward, thanks for the chance to be a part of this.

Last edited:
Is this the same model as the passaround razor?
proxy.php

@imatabor. Great write up! I was fortunate enough to escape without any injuries, but I would agree that great care is required.. Sorry about your thumb.. FWIW, I chickened out using the steep angle on the ATG pass ...

@mjclark. I think it is the same model, but am not 100% sure. It certainly looks the same.

@DrAwkward: cool! Since you have used both, how does the RiMei devette compare to the BB stainless that started all this off?

Is a shallow angle safe, smooth, and respectable? I don't understand why one would ever use a steep angle, safety bar or none.
At a shallow angle I didnt really see any difference if it had a bar or not. A steep angle (close to 90°) the blade feel is incredible. The shave was close and irritation free. But the risk goes way up.

Let me add another thought. Many have tried to make the comparison to a shavette. Having owned many shavettes let me tell you there really isn't a comparison to be made. When you use a shavette you strive to keep the blade angle shallow( this is the same as with a straight). The fact that many are using this at a steep angle fly's in the face of what shavette users are doing. If you want to see how crazy this is jump over to the straight section of this forum and ask about shaving with the blade at 90° and see what kind of reaction you get.

@DrAwkward: cool! Since you have used both, how does the RiMei devette compare to the BB stainless that started all this off?

The Rimei tended to skip more and was generally harder to control than the BB stainless razor. That said, they were pretty similar. I did not think the BB was sufficiently better to merit a "buy" recommendation (the razor stand is pretty nice, however). I think modifying existing razors is a better idea (except for those people who are categorically opposed to "Gillett-inal mutilation" in any form).

Is a shallow angle safe, smooth, and respectable? I don't understand why one would ever use a steep angle, safety bar or none.

Once you've tried it you'll know....

Why using a steep angle ...

... let me see ... Because it works? Sounds good enough to me.

@Alex
The steep angle is counter-intuitive and kind of frightening, but you have to try it to really know what it is all about. Some guy who shall remain nameless (we don't want to embarrass him) started a thread that is well worth reading.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410369-So-what-is-the-steep-angle

As long as your lather is very good and you pick your razor carefully, the steep angle is remarkable.

Let me add another thought. Many have tried to make the comparison to a shavette. Having owned many shavettes let me tell you there really isn't a comparison to be made. ...

I just bought a shavette and plan to use it this weekend. No comparison to be made? Ha! Watch me (I'll think of something).:tongue_sm

Yes, Alex ... what Doc said! You'll have to try it if you really want to know.

FWIW, I was a skeptic too. Many months ago when #6 started talking more and more about the steep angle I thought ''This guy must be crazy, scrapping his face with the R41??'' ... well, he might be crazy, but the steep angle works very well with the R41 (and other razors as long as their blade exposure allows).

It doesn't feel like scrapping at all, it's just a highly efficient method, and the results are ... ''smooth as glass''. No weepers, no cuts, no irritation, nada.

If you add the Spitfire cap (there's other caps but I have no experience with them) to the equation, the results are even more impressive.

I tried the steep angle with the R41, even though it seemed contrary to established theory and practice, and it worked. I was, and still am, under the impression that it worked because the comb stretches the skin prior to the passage of the blade. How will that work with no comb to do the stretching? :huh::blink:

Cheers, George

I just bought a shavette and plan to use it this weekend. No comparison to be made? Ha! Watch me (I'll think of something).:tongue_sm

The shavette actually has a safety bar of sorts that rides on the skin and allows the blade angle to be adjusted to skim the surface, and can actually be used at a steeper angle than a straight.
$Feather_SS.jpg
A straight is an entirely different matter with the actual blade on the skin without any intermediary. It appears to me that the DEvette, if used with a steep angle, is more like a straight than a shavette and will have similar consequences.

Good luck with your shavette Doc. Starting with it flat on your skin and raising the angle as you get it moving is a good way to avoid cuts until you acquire the muscle memory.

Cheers, George

Last edited:
The shavette actually has a safety bar of sorts that rides on the skin and allows the blade angle to be adjusted to skim the surface, and can actually be used at a steeper angle than a straight.
View attachment 537809
A straight is an entirely different matter with the actual blade on the skin without any intermediary. It appears to me that the DEvette, if used with a steep angle, is more like a straight than a shavette and will have similar consequences.

Good luck with your shavette Doc. Starting with it flat on your skin and raising the angle as you get it moving is a good way to avoid cuts until you acquire the muscle memory.

Cheers, George

That picture is very encouraging, but somehow I think my shavette experiment will be tough sledding. I've heard a shavette is actually less forgiving than a straight. Yikes!

Doc, looking forward to your shavette adventure.

BTW, Edgar, IIRC you were also dabbling with a shavette? How did that go? or is it still ongoing?

I tried the steep angle with the R41, even though it seemed contrary to established theory and practice, and it worked. I was, and still am, under the impression that it worked because the comb stretches the skin prior to the passage of the blade. How will that work with no comb to do the stretching? :huh::blink:

Cheers, George
That's how I thought steep angle worked too by the comb stretching the skin but the combless devette clearly proves this wrong.

Steep angle doesn't work for str8s and shavettes so HOW does it work for devettes?

And oh yes it works amazingly!

Top Bottom