What's new

2015 DEvette passaround

I did misunderstand your post! Now we are up to four. Musketeers?
BTW, Yaser, I see you live in the great state of Michigan, which is one of my former residences. That state seems to be attracting quite a lot of attention on sports news websites today ...

imatabor
Daltongang
Alexface
Yaser
it's a shame the lions lost on sunday but it's nice to see our sports are coming up towards the top lately, especially the lions after 2008

Yea, every young man is going to want to play for Michigan now because of Jim there. They say its a whole different atmosphere there now. Well I see a lot of others trying out shaving with no safety bar but I dont think its for me. I like my shaves nice and smooth, and with my unsteady hands I think its best to leave the bar on for me. Very interesting topic and hope it goes well for everyone.

Razor arrived today. I haven't used one of these Chinese razors let alone one that was modified. Loading a blade is tricky since you have to only hold it by the ends. The blade stocks out quite a bit out the ends so you end up squeezing the blade ends as you twist the handle on. Not the most comfortable feeling but I may have sensitive finger tips.
Here she is loaded up. I whipped up some Stirling Sharped Dressed Man. Figured if I was going to the ER I should smell nice!
$IMG_20150102_144834.jpg

Looking down from the cap it doesn't look to bad but a glance from the bottom looks scary as a lot of blade sticks out under the base plate.

I approached this like an old type, very shallow. Cap flush on face and lower it just till it cuts. With the grain was smooth with no issues. I then jumped to against the grain. I felt a bit of blade chatter. I will try this with a sharper blade, maybe a feather. I had used an Astra. I think the issue is the fact that this is a very light razor. I may see if my bulldog handle will fit this head.

I ended with a good shave. Not smooth due to the chatter but good. Some are saying this should be like a shavette but I didn't find that at all. My thought is that with the shavette the blade is straight and you control the angle totally. With this the cap controls the angle and all removing the safety part is that there is no limit to how steep you can go.
It is very strange and intimating though that as you shave you can see the blade exposed on the bottom of the baseplate.

Thanks for the chance to try out this razor!

Last edited:
I whipped up some Stirling Sharped Dressed Man. Figured if I was going to the ER I should smell nice!

Looking down from the cap it doesn't look to bad but a glance from the bottom looks scary as a lot of blade sticks out under the base plate.

I approached this like an old type, very shallow. Cap flush on face and lower it just till it cuts. With the grain was smooth with no issues. I then jumped to against the grain. I felt a bit of blade chatter. I will try this with a sharper blade, maybe a feather. I had used an Astra. I think the issue is the fact that this is a very light razor. I may see if my bulldog handle will fit this head.

I ended with a good shave. Not smooth due to the chatter but good. Some are saying this should be like a shavette but I didn't find that at all. My thought is that with the shavette the blade is straight and you control the angle totally. With this the cap controls the angle and all removing the safety part is that there is no limit to how steep you can go.
It is very strange and intimating though that as you shave you can see the blade exposed on the bottom of the baseplate.

Thanks for the chance to try out this razor!

Based on this review, I may need to try out a shavette at some point. I have been assuming they are somewhat similar. The massive blade exposure, especially when viewed from beneath the baseplate, is a bit scary, but you forget about it when its covered in lather!

Stooge #1(or Larry) checking in.

Day #2. I switched the blade to a Voskhod and replaced the handle with a bulldog. This helped smooth things out some. Did a typical 3 pass shave. Got a good shave but again not great. I ended up with some redness on my neck. Going ATG the blade seems to catch in some spots. When this happens the angle increases. This probably isn't a big deal but without a safety bar I'm afraid of going too steep and cutting myself.

If you have been reading the "No guard DE" thread you get the impression that King Gillette was a fool for ever putting a base plate on his razors in the first place. OK this is sort of strong but you get the drift. Everyone seems to be saying that this is the new wave in shaving. All I can say at this point is I get a smoother better shave from my RFB OC baseplated NEW with less effort.

To be totally honest:
Is it cool to say I tried it and lived...yes!
Would I do this to one of my razors......no.

I still think steep angle is the way to go with devettes. It may sound and feel a bit scary but it works just as well, if not better, than with the R41...

Several of us have been having a lot of fun with a type of DE razor that mjclark has dubbed the "devette" due to its similarity to a shavette. More details about the DEvette can be found HERE.

I have modified a Chinese 3-piece razor by cutting off the guard bar and then grinding down the struts (sadly, the edges are still not smooth).

The rules:

1) Sign up by posting in this thread.
2) Keep the razor for a maximum of 7 days. If you can't do this, please don't join.
3) PM the next person on the list and then mail the DEvette to them.
4) Agree never to mail the razor back to its original owner (me).
5) Do not blame me if this monstrosity hurts you. It is dangerous.
6) When loaded, never rest the razor on the blade edge (there is no guard).
7) Have fun, but be very careful (see #5).
8) CONUS only. The value of this devette is much lower than the cost of international postage.

Because the baseplate appears to be made out of zamak, it will start to fall apart before too long. After all, by cutting off the guard bars, I have breached the plating and exposed the bare zamak. I will coat it with something, but that will not help for long. So, this passaround is not going to be one of those epic 2 year journeys.

Assuming I get at least one volunteer, I will mail it out on 12/31/14. The first person gets a free bottle of Nivea Sensitive ASB and some blades.

Who's up for the DEvette challenge?

View attachment 534769
Can someone tell me why one would cut off the saftey bar?

The spots I went steeper is where I got redness. Maybe I have to go steeper, beyond this point?

Try out the steep angle in some easy places (i.e., WTG on your cheeks) and see how it works for you. Obviously, make sure to avoid using any pressure at all.

Right, but you get the same affect from just removing the baseplate from the razor head. And don't ruin a razor. Well providing you have a 3 piece razor that has a fully threaded connection. I've shaved like this many times just to get trouble spots. Or a nice close shave.

Top Bottom