What's new

Best way to conceptualize an OC DE razor>

New to DE shaving (formerly used an old Atra-type SE since about 1968) and am having a whole lot of fun on this forum.

I've not yet used an OC razor, only a Vikings Blade butterfly from a starter kit, and now a Gillette Slim K2 (great advice, fellow-B&Bers!). I'm working my way thru the settings and find that for a 3 day beard I need to be at about 7. I may dial up a bit, just to test, and we'll just have to see. I must say that I really enjoy the feedback from the blade at the higher settings; with the setting at 3, and with a 2 day-beard I got a very good, worry free shave (I do not believe it's possible to cut/nick myself at 3) but it felt like I was using the dull edge of a butter knife. I had to rise a lot, too.

But I'd also eventually like to get an OC razor. BUT THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT WHICH ONE TO GET, BUT IS ABOUT HOW BEST TO THINK OF HOW OC DIFFERS FROM A SAFETY BAR RAZOR.

Concurrently, I stumbled across the type DE called a "devette"--essentially a DE with no safety bar.

Now, thinking about an OC, I find that a good way to think about what they are is that they're a devette with an intermittent safety bar, with the teeth being that intermittent safety bar. Essentially a 42mm edge is made up out of a series of 2mm safety bars alternating with 2mm devettes.

What are your thoughts about this conception of an OC?

Thanks in advance!

Interesting question. A straight razor would be the ultimate OC I guess, although there would be no comb at all.

OCs are associated with aggressiveness, but I find this not to be true at all. Some of my most aggressive razors are safety bar razors.

I would say that an OC has more opportunity to use the protection of the lather while shaving because the combs retain some water which is subsequently dispersed as well as combing through the lather rather than snow plowing it like a safety bar. This keeps the whiskers more hydrated and therefore easier to cut. At least that’s my hypothesis.

Next your skin is closer to the blade potentially. I say potentially because blade gap and exposure in some of my razors with bars actually have the blade earlier in contact with my skin than the bar. Take my Razorine Flatboy which in my opinion only has a safety bar in name.

I might have other thoughts.

Cheers,

Guido

New to DE shaving (formerly used an old Atra-type SE since about 1968) and am having a whole lot of fun on this forum.

I've not yet used an OC razor, only a Vikings Blade butterfly from a starter kit, and now a Gillette Slim K2 (great advice, fellow-B&Bers!). I'm working my way thru the settings and find that for a 3 day beard I need to be at about 7. I may dial up a bit, just to test, and we'll just have to see. I must say that I really enjoy the feedback from the blade at the higher settings; with the setting at 3, and with a 2 day-beard I got a very good, worry free shave (I do not believe it's possible to cut/nick myself at 3) but it felt like I was using the dull edge of a butter knife. I had to rise a lot, too.

But I'd also eventually like to get an OC razor. BUT THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT WHICH ONE TO GET, BUT IS ABOUT HOW BEST TO THINK OF HOW OC DIFFERS FROM A SAFETY BAR RAZOR.

Concurrently, I stumbled across the type DE called a "devette"--essentially a DE with no safety bar.

Now, thinking about an OC, I find that a good way to think about what they are is that they're a devette with an intermittent safety bar, with the teeth being that intermittent safety bar. Essentially a 42mm edge is made up out of a series of 2mm safety bars alternating with 2mm devettes.

What are your thoughts about this conception of an OC?

Thanks in advance!
Try this thread.
What do OC razors really do? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-do-oc-razors-really-do.621092/#post-11674531

It affords some excellent discussion points and talks about some specific OC characteristics.

Interesting question. A straight razor would be the ultimate OC I guess, although there would be no comb at all.

OCs are associated with aggressiveness, but I find this not to be true at all. Some of my most aggressive razors are safety bar razors.

I would say that an OC has more opportunity to use the protection of the lather while shaving because the combs retain some water which is subsequently dispersed as well as combing through the lather rather than snow plowing it like a safety bar. This keeps the whiskers more hydrated and therefore easier to cut. At least that’s my hypothesis.

Next your skin is closer to the blade potentially. I say potentially because blade gap and exposure in some of my razors with bars actually have the blade earlier in contact with my skin than the bar. Take my Razorine Flatboy which in my opinion only has a safety bar in name.

I might have other thoughts.

Cheers,

Guido
Good feedback.

Thank you.

Great, again, Alum.

Just how in the heck do you find these focused threads? I'm using the search feature, but what I get is often far too broad and unfocused.
When it comes to the search feature,

Just Speak your Branes.

Put in something like "why is an open comb different/better" or the like. You will come up with 10-20 pages, but the odds are high you will hit a relevant and useful thread.

I think also people tend to over generalize aggressive differently. Big Blade Gap = Aggressive / Increasing Blade Exposure = Aggressive / Open Combs = Aggressive / Slants - Aggressive. Also one Mans Aggressive is another Mans Efficiency (Performance). There are other factors that need to considered: meaning all need to factored in to get the correct behavior of the razor. Others are and not limited too.... Blade Angle, The Blade, Weight & Balance, the User & Face, the Prep, the Soap.....We are other threads that can help better on this topic. But I guess what I am trying to drive here is it is never just one data point that make a razor aggressive.

Now are OC's more aggressive that a SB, well it depends!
Take you time, improve your skills - consistency matters , enjoy the shave , find the right tool that works for you..

Or is it...

NTW.jpg

BFX

Top Bottom