What's new

Gillette Tech recommendations (The Clone thread)

Gillette Tech is a pronounced obsession interest lately(for me). Many disregard the mighty Gillette Tech as being too mild. I find that it gets the job done. If I have to be on autopilot, there are no issues with the tech. I'm able to obtain a BBS shave without any irritation when I use the Tech!

I can barely feel the blade and it shaves. I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 spare heads in case something happens.

Right now, I'm using the Made in USA, triangle slot Tech. A very common razor (it must have been something okay if they made that many...). I looked for a second hand and most places have a reasonable price for the razor itself but shipping is beginning to be a real killer.

Are there any clones or non-vintage tech clones that I could buy that would fit a custom handle (i.e. the handle that fits on most razors today)? I don't need a full razor as the handle is stainless steel. If it comes with a cheap handle that I can replace, I would consider it.

I've seen a few comments on various clones that mentioned a long pin from the cap. This prevents the handle from pinching that blade securely. The result would be a very aggressive razor (and potentially unsafe).

I heard of the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sterling(India) and Gillette Super Blue (China). I do not know if they fit a custom handle. I know, they are so cheap that I could buy them and figure it out. However, someone might have an experience with those or might have a different recommendation.

I also saw the Baili BD191, from what I found, I'm better off with a vintage Gillette if I look at the price tag.

Many clones mention a large blade exposure which worries me a lot.

I know that I can buy a vintage tech and that's okay. With today's technology and all those stainless steel razors, maybe there's something out there that fits the performance and price.

What's out there?

Here are a few pictures of my Gillette Tech (replated)
View attachment 1822328View attachment 1822329View attachment 1822330
I have a replated Canadian triangle slot tech that I use from time to time for a more relaxed shave. I have a few heavy stainless handles but I always stick with the factory issue handle to get the vintage shave. While heavy handles probably enhance the efficiency, I am always happy enough with the shave result to stick with the original handles. However, the handle shown is quite impressive and quite heavy I imagine.

Reactions: Luc

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a replated Canadian triangle slot tech that I use from time to time for a more relaxed shave. I have a few heavy stainless handles but I always stick with the factory issue handle to get the vintage shave. While heavy handles probably enhance the efficiency, I am always happy enough with the shave result to stick with the original handles. However, the handle shown is quite impressive and quite heavy I imagine.
I use the factory handle sometimes but I really like that handle. It’s a Razorock ufo.

I use the factory handle sometimes but I really like that handle. It’s a Razorock ufo.
I'd heard of the UFO handle but never really saw one. I have Bulldogs and Maggard handles and more but keep them on those razors only. The UFO looks pretty weighty to me, but not out of reason.

Reactions: Luc
I'd heard of the UFO handle but never really saw one. I have Bulldogs and Maggard handles and more but keep them on those razors only. The UFO looks pretty weighty to me, but not out of reason.
The UFO handle from Razorock and the Removable Tip Flare Tip Handle from Phoenix Shaving are my two heaviest handles… and they both are terrific on Techs.

Techs work great with the lightest handles (like the Bakelite ones and the aluminum ones) and the heaviest ones (like the ones in my picture).

The Razorock UFO handle is $14.99. With shipping, it is probably $20 unless you buy other items to meet the minimum free shipping dollar amount. My local wet shaving shop charges $24.99 for the German 37 with a UFO handle. In my opinion, this is the best way to buy the UFO handle. You get a whole other razor to play with for $10 more.

Attachments

• 69D00A27-B4DC-406D-8FAD-8847640C03B2.jpeg
    69D00A27-B4DC-406D-8FAD-8847640C03B2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
I noticed, from my post in this thread that I had 4 Techs on April 3rd… it is April 21st, and I have 8 Techs…
I need to clear out at least 4, I have some post war English ones that don’t get any attention.

I’ve also acquired about 2 but they should be able to stick around.

Well that worked flawlessly......
This thing you can buy in Holland from 3 to 7 euros. It looks a lot like the Feather AS-D2 (I think) but it shaves really well. Mild and effective. Brand is Old school barber or something and comes with 10 blades. This one was bought for 3 euros and is my cheapest razor that is amazingly good. Will see if I can find the box. Mine is put on a razorock HD handle but the handle it comes with resembles the Feather a lot.

Top Bottom