What's new

The Modern almost a Tech Clone, what is it?

I have one Tech it need to be replaced, but works, would like to find a BALL End in good shape. But it has been mention that there are many clone out today, like the Feather. Plus a few more, would like Stainless,no port metal.

If you're looking for a current production Tech clone, the head (at least) will probably be made of pot metal.
Vintage Techs are still relatively affordable. I would suggest getting one of those.

The closest to a Tech that I found it´s the Ikon B1 OSS, granted it has an open comb on one side but it is a mild efficient shaver using it like a Tech.
ikon-b1-oss-head-bottom.png

So it might be cheaper find a vintage one in good state, try to search for Travel Techs & Gillette trave kits, some of them are NOS...Also, I think Razor Emporium has some replated ones...

Cheers

Baili BD176 is very close to a post-war Tech (a little more aggressive but still a mild shaver). Baili BT131 (also sold as 171) is close in performance to the pre-war Tech. Both are excellent razors, especially at their price point. Both are Zamac.

As far as Techs, I read that they switched to Zamac caps around 1962. But that $10 or so Zamac Baili will last a very long time. They are well made.

I have one Tech it need to be replaced, but works, would like to find a BALL End in good shape. But it has been mention that there are many clone out today, like the Feather. Plus a few more, would like Stainless,no port metal.

Why not go with the Feather? You know it will be well made and stainless. I'm sure you could unload it on the bst for almost what you paid if it's not to your liking. Good luck in your search.

Why not go with the Feather? You know it will be well made and stainless. I'm sure you could unload it on the bst for almost what you paid if it's not to your liking. Good luck in your search.
Feather area nice would like to see one in person before pulling trigger, also need get to Razor Emporium as he has som e restored, replaced that look good. It is a 20 mile drive, have VA Appointment on 12th, so I will be with in 3v miles, and after appointment is about time they open.

Feather area nice would like to see one in person before pulling trigger, also need get to Razor Emporium as he has som e restored, replaced that look good. It is a 20 mile drive, have VA Appointment on 12th, so I will be with in 3v miles, and after appointment is about time they open.

I wouldn't worry about any fit or finish issues with the Feather as-d2. Mine was excellent. It just didn't shave as well for me as some of my other razors so I moved on from it.

That said, you could definitely get a real Gillette Tech in good condition for a lot less than a new as-d2.

I have two Techs. I paid $3 for one, and $5 for the other one. They are in good user condition.

I really have 3 Techs, if you count the 7 O’clock Sterling as a Tech. I paid around $8 for it, and it is nowhere near as nice as the real Techs.

As far as stainless steel Tech clones go, the Feather goes for $169 without a stand on Amazon.

I think that you could find two real vintage Techs in like new or unused condition for the price of the Feather is you watch for deals.

You could also buy a refurbished 1947-1951 fat handle vintage Tech on razoremporuim.com for $65.

I agree with others that if you want a Tech, best to get a Tech.

Karve might be something to think about; some of the handle options are obviously directly inspired by Techs.

Can you refinish the one you have? I've done that and it turned out well. Techs are relatively easy to refinish because they are just three pieces.

I have been trying to score a regular ball end Tech in good condition on eBay, but the interest in these seem to be up? Most auctions seem to be ending around $16 + $8 shipping.

Am I being too cheap? Honestly I don't care much about the stainless steel construction. Zamak is fine with me, since I don't need the razor to last longer than 20 years or so with proper care. I just want performance and a decent heft, and at $25 or so, the modern clones do look attractive.

The Ikon B1 Standard is a nice alternative. It is stainless. It is a bit more efficient than the previous war tech with more blade feel. My favorite inexpensive modern clone is the Baili 131 but it does have a pot metal cap. The 131 is more like using a post war Tech. I like to think of my Game Changer .68 as a sort of modern Tech as well. Very nice stainless razor at a reasonable price. All that said, there are still plenty of vintage techs out there for cheap.

Top Bottom