What's new

The Modern almost a Tech Clone, what is it?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have been trying to score a regular ball end Tech in good condition on eBay
Do you like gold?

gtech.JPG

You can have this NDC tech if you'll split the postage with me.

Does this model cover the blade tabs?
If you want a close Tech clone (in performance) that covers the blade tabs, look at Baili BD176. It’s the closest thing I have to my 1960 Tech in feel and performance, just a little more aggressive (that is to say, still super mild). However the base plate design is very different.

The Ikon B1 Standard is a nice alternative. It is stainless. It is a bit more efficient than the previous war tech with more blade feel. My favorite inexpensive modern clone is the Baili 131 but it does have a pot metal cap. The 131 is more like using a post war Tech. I like to think of my Game Changer .68 as a sort of modern Tech as well. Very nice stainless razor at a reasonable price. All that said, there are still plenty of vintage techs out there for cheap.
I have 131, and it’s a whole lot closer to my pre-war Tech than to my 1960 one. It’s a very effective razor with a strong blade feel, but surprisingly mild when following just the basic technique. A very overlooked razor. I wouldn’t worry about it being pot metal, the plating is very good and it will last a long time. They are also very cheap. I especially like it when paired with a heavier handle.

Well, it all depends, there are variety of Techs.

The only modern replica I own is the Lord L5, which has a 1970s style head, and it performs like the original. So imo, no need to look for an original 1970s Tech, just get the L5. And honestly, I can use that razor as my one and only, it's a really really good razor.

As for replicas of the 1960s Techs made in England and France, they have different heads and I don't know of any modern replicas. I don't know anything about American produced Techs since I don't own any. Again, imo, the 1970s style Tech head is not the best, it has a flat baseplate while the earlier baseplates are curved and in my experience, it glides on the face at a smoother angle.

Sorry for rambling haha, tldr: get a Lord L5 until you can hunt down a Tech which doesn't have the 1970s style head.

The Ikon B1 Standard is a nice alternative. It is stainless. It is a bit more efficient than the previous war tech with more blade feel. My favorite inexpensive modern clone is the Baili 131 but it does have a pot metal cap. The 131 is more like using a post war Tech. I like to think of my Game Changer .68 as a sort of modern Tech as well. Very nice stainless razor at a reasonable price. All that said, there are still plenty of vintage techs out there for cheap.
I have 131, and it’s a whole lot closer to my pre-war Tech than to my 1960 one. It’s a very effective razor with a strong blade feel, but surprisingly mild when following just the basic technique. A very overlooked razor. I wouldn’t worry about it being pot metal, the plating is very good and it will last a long time. They are also very cheap. I especially like it when paired with a heavier handle.
The Baili BT131 is one of my top favorite razors. Currently it stands at the Number Two place on my "SB Razors Pedestal" (that's one place above my Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 [at Number Three]). (Being an LHF) I especially like it when paired with a lighter handle. :wink2:

Here it is in one of my SOTDs:
Baili-BT131-SOTD-W_2023-11-01.jpg
:001_wub:

There’s new old stock military issue ball end techs for $40-50 on eBay

(Hope it’s okay to post a screenshot. I have no affiliation with this seller)

IMG_3764.jpeg

I like to use a reproduction ball end handle from Razor Emporium with my Baili 131. Seems silly sometimes, a $20 handle on a $5 razor but I already had the handle, purchased for one of my other Gillette Tech heads that did not come with a handle. I have two RE handles, one in brass that I use with an old type head and one in nickel that I use with the Baili and Tech head.

I have one Tech it need to be replaced, but works, would like to find a BALL End in good shape. But it has been mention that there are many clone out today, like the Feather. Plus a few more, would like Stainless,no port metal.
If you haven't done it yet, spend a day or two looking in the antique malls and stores in your area.

You'll probably find at least a Tech. Maybe a Krona or a Super Speed, too.

If you haven't done it yet, spend a day or two looking in the antique malls and stores in your area.

You'll probably find at least a Tech. Maybe a Krona or a Super Speed, too.
Believe is or not I live in a place that could pass for Jurassic Park, with old DYNOS wandering streets, and valleys. I hit the estate sales, moving sales, and last garage sales. One Razor I found is a WeShiTee Chinese Special sold under many NAMES looked
Vander Hoogen.

The antique stores, n malls near me have nothing good. I know the more you look, the higher chance you have to find ages, but gas is $4.00/Gallon.

Last edited:
Believe is or not I live in a place that could pass for Jurassic Park, with old DYNOS wandering streets, and valleys. I hit the estate sales, moving sales, and last garage sales. One Razor I found is a WeShiTee Chinese Special sold under many NAMES looked
Vander Hoogen.

The antique stores, n malls near me have nothing good. I know the more you look, the higher chance you have to find ages, but gas is $4.00/Gallon.
Sounds pretty bleak. Have you ever considered some variation of a Fatip?

Top Bottom