What's new

The Modern almost a Tech Clone, what is it?

Not a clone per say but I would say the Razorock GameChanger .68P is what I consider my "modern stainless steel tech". It's not the same geometry obviously but in my opinion it's almost as comfortable and actually a bit more efficient.

I like to use a reproduction ball end handle from Razor Emporium with my Baili 131. Seems silly sometimes, a $20 handle on a $5 razor but I already had the handle, purchased for one of my other Gillette Tech heads that did not come with a handle. I have two RE handles, one in brass that I use with an old type head and one in nickel that I use with the Baili and Tech head.
I frequently slap my Lord L6 on top of the handle from my Muhle R89. Seems silly to put the clone head on top of the original, but the L6 is slightly more aggressive IMO than the R89 and I like it better that way when using certain blades. I bought a DSCosmetics Destroyer handle intending it to replace the L6 handle permanently, but the combo is missing something.

I ought to try it with my Baili BT131 head sometime.

I think of my Masamune as a better built, modern tech in stainless steel. Plus the option to choose between Safety Bar and Open Comb with two plates.

Most handles seem too heavy for my very lightweight 70's era tech head -- I use a very light aluminum handle with it and that feels much better to me.
1712075717952.png

I have been trying to score a regular ball end Tech in good condition on eBay, but the interest in these seem to be up? Most auctions seem to be ending around $16 + $8 shipping.

Am I being too cheap? Honestly I don't care much about the stainless steel construction. Zamak is fine with me, since I don't need the razor to last longer than 20 years or so with proper care. I just want performance and a decent heft, and at $25 or so, the modern clones do look attractive.
I won a $20 auction a few weeks ago on the bay for 10 vintage Wilkinson Sword blades, and it came with a 1964 Ball End. I think I like the razor more then the blades :)

Top Bottom