What's new

Grudge Match: NEW Deluxe versus Raised Flat Bottom

Side bets. Who will win the Grudge Match: RFB vs. NEW Deluxe

• RFB

• New Deluxe

Results are only viewable after voting.
As for the smoothness, IMO the RFB is indeed smoother. The Deluxe is not as smooth, but it is slightly more efficient. That's a good trade-off, and that's why it is the best shaver, IMHO. It's a perfect balance, more than smooth enough, and the extra efficiency makes the difference.

YMMV, as always.

proxy.php

Close results so far...

Last edited:
As for the smoothness, IMO the RFB is indeed smoother. The Deluxe is not as smooth, but it is slightly more efficient.

Here is a thought, I found that by the second pass the shave result was the same a far as effiency goes and the total end result were idenical. So if the final result is the same isn't how you get there the most important factor?

Both these roads will take you town but which would you rather take?

proxy.php

Or

proxy.php

$deluxe or rfb.jpg

Both these roads will take you town but which would you rather take?

John, that depends. It's all a matter of personal preference.

This ...

$Granny-Driver.jpg

Or this ...

$offroad.jpg

I'd definitely choose the second option. The first one even has the wheel on the wrong side of the car ... just like in England.

:lol: :lol:

Last edited:
How is smoother not better? Why would anybody want more blade feel, given that the razor with less blade feel provides a comparable shave?
I just like feedback. Same reason I prefer driving a Corvette vs a Cadillac. Shaving to me is a sensory experience that I enjoy, and one of the aspects I like the feeling of a blade cutting through stubble - same reason I prefer aggressive razors over a Tech.

Let me ask you a question by taking it to the extreme. If a razor existed that shaved as efficiently as the RFB (i.e. same result) but felt like a rubber squeegee, no blade feel at all, just magical stubble removal, would you enjoy it as much as your RFB?

Last edited:
I just like feedback. Same reason I prefer driving a Corvette vs a Cadillac. Shaving to me is a sensory experience that I enjoy, and one of the aspects I like the feeling of a blade cutting through stubble - same reason I prefer aggressive razors over a Tech.

Let me ask you a question by taking it to the extreme. If a razor existed that shaved as efficiently as the RFB (i.e. same result) but felt like a rubber squeegee, no blade feel at all, just magical stubble removal, would you enjoy it as much as your RFB?
Of course not, but taking it to the other extreme, if a razor existed that just peeled off the upper two layers of your epidermis, would you enjoy it as much as your Deluxe?

The extremes are obviously not relevant. If squeegie is on the extreme left side of a continuum, and face flayer on the extreme right side of the same continuum, the RFB and the Deluxe lie somewhere near the middle, with only a couple of degrees of separation between the RFB, on the left of the midline, and the Deluxe, just over the right side. To me it's purely a matter of personal preference how much blade feel one desires; personally, I'm willing to put up with more blade feel if the trade-off is a much better shave. But if it's not, I'd rather not have more blade feel. That's what I'm trying to get at.

The extremes are obviously not relevant
Point taken on the extremes. Bad analogy on my part, so let's try something more relevant. My pre-War Tech (and pretty much every razor I own) gets me to the same point as the RFB after 3 passes, with even less blade feel than the RFB. I much prefer shaving with the RFB. If you have a pre-War Tech, I'm curious as to how they compare for you.

To me it's purely a matter of personal preference how much blade feel one desires; personally, I'm willing to put up with more blade feel if the trade-off is a much better shave. But if it's not, I'd rather not have more blade feel. That's what I'm trying to get at.
I guess that's where our personal preferences differ. Our thermostats are just set at different levels.

Third and final round.

British RFB #44 versus Deluxe Tuckaway.
Gillette Silver Blue.

One day growth.
After one day both sides of face look the same. The deluxe side has a very little less stubble feel but really close.

Today's shave.

Efficiency: Too close to call.
Smoothness: After shaving yesterday the Rfb really shines in the smoothness category. RFB by a knockout.
Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....): RFB. I can speed shave with this razor if I want to. The deluxe requires more attention.
Overall experience: RFB

After three rounds the RFB wins by points.

This is still my favorite razor but I can see why someone with a coarse heavy beard might prefer the DeLuxe due to the
possible extra efficiency.
With my beard type the RFB is efficient enough and I prefer the smoothness.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
RD. 2

NEW RFB
NEW Deluxe
Both razors were loaded with fresh Personna med prep

Smoothness: RFB
Efficiency: Deluxe
Ease of use:DRAW

Again Both give great shaves and make it a pleasure to shave

I call This RD. a Draw

$IMG_2400.jpg

So, a bit of a follow-up. Yesterday in the late afternoon I had the "opportunity" of seeing my face in the horror mirror at my work bathroom. (Probably a lot of you have a mirror somewhere in your life that shows you in the worst possible light?) Anyway, what looks like a nice shave in a regular mirror or even in person often doesn't look quite so good in this mirror. Yesterday, neither side looked too bad, but, to my amazement, the left side looked worse than the right.

I had to go back to my post of that shave to be sure which razor I had used on which side. You guessed it: I used the Deluxe on the right side. I had judged the shave less smooth by the feel on the face, but my face in the horror mirror told a different story.

Maybe the enhanced blade feel keeps the user on his toes just enough that he minds the pressure and the angle better? In any case, I'm going back and calling the 4th round a tie, rather than a win for the RFB.

This morning, I went back to my Hybrid Tech (which is essentially an RFB with a safety bar instead of a comb) on a UFO Titan Fine L. Felt like a great shave. Later today I'll check it out in the horror mirror and find out the truth. :blushing:

Round 2:

Yesterday (2/4) after 2 days growth.

The Goods: Rudy Vey Shavemac w/ MDC, same 2 Polsilver SIs as round 1 but swapped, and Kramperts Frostbite

Switched and went with the Deluxe on the right and the RFB on the left.

Efficiency: NEW Deluxe - this was easy to determine even after 3 passes. More BBS spots with the Deluxe.
Smoothness: RFB - same as before can definitely feel the Deluxe a little more but it is not harsh
Ease of shave: Tie - both razors are great performers
overall experience: NEW Deluxe still

Winner: Deluxe

Top Bottom