What's new

Good, cheap soap or cream

I'm sure some of you saw my post from earlier this week, and I apologize once again if this is a duplicate thread, but I just started shaving with a blade about a week and a half ago, namely because I am a student and need to save money. I am looking for a shaving cream or soap that is cheap but also a quality product. I just think it is crazy to shell out 16 dollars for a container of TOBS or something similar. Thanks for your input guys.

Low cost soap:

VDH Deluxe ~2
VDH Luxury ~4
Arko~5 for 2 sticks
Con Conk ~6
Williams ~2

Low Cost Cream
Palmolive ~4.50
Prosano ~10
Derby Cream ~5
Old Spice cream ~<10

Last edited:
my proraso green tub was $10 but lasts forever. I ordered mine like 8 months ago and was using it exclusively up until about a month ago. Now i use it about 3/4 of the time. I am about half done.

ARKO!!!

The pack of 12 sticks was $13.15 on Amazon a couple weeks ago. It's VERY easy to work with (face lather) and gives a great shave. The 12 sticks will last 2-3 years of daily shaving. It's my go-to shave soap and I love it.

You can get 2 Arko sticks delivered for less than $5 and they will last you 6 months if you shave daily. Go on ebay and search for it. Same with Arko cream. A 100g tube is $4.39 on ebay delivered and will last you at least 4 months if you shave daily.

The VDH soaps are less than $4 and are easily found at Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, etc. They last a while too.

If you really want cheap then you have to resort to the canned gels & foams. They gels (for all the knocking they get on this board) are truly great performers and a can goes for about $2.50. It should last you at least 6 months if you shave daily.

Can't beat Arko, for cost and performance.
By my reckoning the cheapest high quality soap you can buy here in the US per gram/oz is Arko. Considering also that you're new to this great adventure, you will not find too much to beat it for assuring you of excellent prep for your shave. Some B&B members moan about the fragrance, but to me (and many others) its basic lemon fragrance is of zero importance.
If your budget stretches to it, you can get 12 sticks for less than $1/stick on Amazon as an "open box" item here.
I bought exactly this item some months ago and the box was - indeed -a bit torn. But it's cheap cardboard anyway, and the sticks inside were pristine (including their foil wrapping). An unbelievable bargain.

In my opinion you get what you pay for, but Arko is indeed cheap and performs well, and the Nivea Sensitive Skin shaving cream is also efficient at a low price point and available at your local stores

If you have an Indian market in your area, see if you can find some Godrej cream. I can get it for less than $3 a tube and it is great!

Best soap for the $ Cella. As luxurious as any high end soap or cream and is very inexpensive. I have tried nearly everything out there and have yet to find a soap or cream that out performs it. Buy a kilo brick for $35 and shave the rest of your life. LOL

It depends on your very subjective definition of "cheap" and "quality". I've never tried Arko or Palmolive, but for the price, they're probably worth trying. Williams makes good lather, but works better in soft water and can be drying depending on your skin type. I am very budget conscious, but I also like a good shave. For my money/value soap, I don't think you can do much better than Stirling.

Can ... Worms ... :lol:

It highly depends on where you live, but I think that ARKO is one of the cheapest everywhere.

Is it good? I do think so, but there is only one way to find out. Best to find a Turkish supermarket in your neighbourhood (if there are any), to buy a single stick first.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I can tell you that the Palmolive is a mighty fine cream. I have a stick of Arko waiting in the bullpen, and I might get to it tomorrow or next week.

Find a Bath Body Works at a mall...and buy 3 C.O. Bigelow's For $20...lasts you months

This is what I was going to offer. It's Proraso green but in a different package. Easy to find, and frequently can be obtained with sales/coupons. The worst part is standing in line at the Bath and Body Works place. It's like a law that they are all over filled and crowded.

I'd also add that VdH is a pretty good buy and works well. I'd just be careful throwing out things like "crazy" in regards to certain soaps. We all have our own limits for this stuff. Perhaps one day, your nicely shaven mug will find a high paying job, and you'll learn to enjoy some of the higher $$ products. Until then, enjoy the quality products that can be found at a low price. :)

Top Bottom