What's new

Bug out bag

Having been stranded in the middle of nowhere during heavy blizzards twice in my life, I always carry a BOB in my car. It has everything I need to sustain me and my family for a short period of time.

Love your avatar, Bill the cat is awesome !

Legion

Staff member
I'm reading a lot about 550 or paracord here. Care to share some of your uses for this stuff or is this simply a default bug out bag item that everyone has but no one save a few knows what to do with. And yes, I know what it is but besides replacing shoe laces, tourniquets and making lean-to's with it, what else can you use it for?

Thanks.

Everything. It is one of the most useful things in the world.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/87588319/A-Long-Term-Survival-Guide-101-Uses-for-Paracord

And...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/314477-Para-cord!?highlight=paracord

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is right... Hoopy Froods know where their towel is.

Alternatively, a shemagh is another super useful item.

Oh, and here is an idea, which I just thought of. Stupidly, since it applies to me. A spare pair of glasses, if you need them. If the zombies come in the middle of the night, and your contacts are not in, or your glasses are still on the nightstand... Put a set in the bag.

And if you need any medication for anything, that needs to be in the bag as well.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Let's talk food.

Assuming that many of us (Australians) cant walk into an army surplus store and buy proper MRE's, what would you guys keep in your pack to keep you going for a few days?

I've always thrown a couple of tins of beans in the bag. Heavy, but they keep forever, are impervious to critters that might want to snack on them in storage, and have good "keep you going" power. They require no water, can be eaten cold or hot.

A million boyscouts cant be wrong.

Let's talk food.

Assuming that many of us (Australians) cant walk into an army surplus store and buy proper MRE's, what would you guys keep in your pack to keep you going for a few days?

I've always thrown a couple of tins of beans in the bag. Heavy, but they keep forever, are impervious to critters that might want to snack on them in storage, and have good "keep you going" power. They require no water, can be eaten cold or hot.

A million boyscouts cant be wrong.

Tinned food is a great idea, as long as one remembers the can opener :001_smile

I also include energy bars, as well as a little dried fruit.

I usually keep some beef jerky, or energy bars with me. I never thought of tinned food... might have to pick up a couple of small tins of Spam. Last year I was lucky enough to pick up a case of real military MRE's. I tossed a couple in each vehicle, thinking they would make it thru cold and heat then I read somewhere recently that heat , like summer stuck in a car heat basically ruins them. So if you score some keep in mind where you will store or carry them.

Legion

Staff member
Tinned food is a great idea, as long as one remembers the can opener :001_smile

I also include energy bars, as well as a little dried fruit.

In Oz all tins have ring pulls. The last time I needed a tin opener was about a year ago, and I was stumped. I hadn't needed one for years, and didn't own a proper one in the kitchen! I ended up having to use the one on a swiss army knife like when I was a kid in the scouts.

In Oz all tins have ring pulls. The last time I needed a tin opener was about a year ago, and I was stumped. I hadn't needed one for years, and didn't own a proper one in the kitchen! I ended up having to use the one on a swiss army knife like when I was a kid in the scouts.
Hmm, must be an Adelaide thing then, as we have plenty of non ring pull tins. [emoji6]

Legion

Staff member
Hmm, must be an Adelaide thing then, as we have plenty of non ring pull tins. [emoji6]

Seriously? If it comes in a 500g tin, and it has the word PAL written on the side, it is not pâté.Don't spread it on a cracker. :lol:

Last edited:
Don't need really more than this to get what you need

$IMG_0547.jpg

Living carless on the ocean fringe of a city of four million, where would I exactly go? I don't think the 434 will be running to Topanga. No, I'll sit on my balcony, awaiting the undead hordes, while I read the collected works of Richard Hofstadter.

Top Bottom