What's new

Bug out bag

Living carless on the ocean fringe of a city of four million, where would I exactly go? I don't think the 434 will be running to Topanga. No, I'll sit on my balcony, awaiting the undead hordes, while I read the collected works of Richard Hofstadter.

Funny thing is I try to be prepared but the reality of it is if we aren't at our rural cabin when the SHTF we are stuck in an urban setting. Instead of trying to prolong the demise, my wife and I should just grab some good cigars, a great bottle of bourbon, a couple of chairs and plant ourselves in the front yard and embrace the end.

Funny thing is I try to be prepared but the reality of it is if we aren't at our rural cabin when the SHTF we are stuck in an urban setting. Instead of trying to prolong the demise, my wife and I should just grab some good cigars, a great bottle of bourbon, a couple of chairs and plant ourselves in the front yard and embrace the end.

Yeah, we had that discussion the last place I worked. If you knew the bomb was on the way, what would you do? The general consensus was get out the lawn chairs and watch the show. Better toasted into a crispy critter in a few seconds than miserably wrenching your guts out from radiation sickness, just to die anyway.

Legion

Staff member
Cheery bunch. We do things differently down here. Personally, I'm gonna build a bunch of cars, then go after your fuel.

proxy.php

you need to consider your weakest member and then your needs for survival.water,food,shelter,first aid.you may need to carry the bag for a hundred miles to get to a safe area.the biggest thing is to think clearly,and dont panic. remember,there will be supplies along the way.

I bought one on these last year & have been slowly adding to it as I see fit.

http://www.militaryluggage.com/Marpat-Green-Bugout-Bag-p/5016-o-mpg.htm

I keep a cotton canvas tarp in it along with a change of clothes in a ziploc bag so that they stay dry. I keep some energy bars in it, 100 ft of od paracord that I purchased at Cabela's. I keep a military collapsible shovel in it, 2 hanker chiefs (idgiatl woodland & red) a Victorinox XAVT, a Kabar mule along with a knife sharpener. I had a local seamstriss add some more Molle webbing to the side of the bag & I keep a small prybar & a Streamlight Sidewinder attached there. I keep some money in it & my meds & I bought the largest medical kit that I could find at Bass Pro along with some Quik-clot packages. I want to get a full size USMC Kabar to put in there to go aloing with the short that I keep on my waist.

Before you build the bag and spend the money decide where you are going to go and figure what it takes for YOU to get there.If you don't have that worked out just buy a bunch of crap that you will never use.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So, lets talk first aid kits.

Do you have one in your bag, and what is in it?

Personal Safety/CPR

5 pair Gloves
1 pair Safety Goggles
1 CPR Microshield

Minor Cuts and Scrapes

60 Adhesive bandages
10 - 2x2 Gauze Pads (2 packs)
1 Roll Cloth Medical Tape, 1 inch

Larger Injuries/Trauma

1 pair Trauma Shears
2 - 5x9 Dressings
5 - 4x4 Gauze Pads (2 packs)