What's new

Bug out bag

My wife is watching too many zombie movies. Walking Dead is her favorite. Now she insists that I create us a Bug Out Bag. I guess my plan to run in a circle screaming Help! just wont do.

So, any of you fine gentlemen have a BOB? What's in it? What resources did you use to create one.

If everything else fails, I plan to survive just like these nice folks.

$010BOE_Frances_de_la_Tour_002.jpg

A good place to start would be the FEMA list. It covers most of the basics.

http://www.fema.gov/media-library-d...09debe561d866b05ac84daf1ee/checklist_2014.pdf

Of course, there are endless suggested configurations to be found amongst the survivalist crowd and and some of their forums. A lot of these folks go way overboard, IMO. I'm a believer in the Scout motto "Always be Prepared", but man, some of these guys will deck out an entire truck with all kinds of stuff and have it at the ready...."just in case". And that's just to get them to their bug out cabin in some remote, off-the-grid location.

Some of the stuff in my bag includes:
-a fairly comprehensive first aid kit that I inspect yearly for expired items and replace as needed
-2 different ways to produce drinkable water (a filtration system and iodine pills)
-a couple of one liter Nalgene type bottles
-2 Bic lighters (I do have a flint, but come on, lighters have a long shelf life and are way easier)
-a decent fixed blade knife
-a Leatherman multi-tool
-2 flashlights (with batteries removed)
-a small radio with an EBS band, am/fm, and a NOAA band
-Batteries (change these out yearly)
-2 decent whistles
-a signal mirror
-2 candles
-a small can opener
-hand sanitizer
-bar soap
-stainless steel canteen mug
-a couple of large plastic trash bags
-a small bit of fishing gear (most of which can double as something else)
-I keep a military issue survival guide in my bag that is an absolute fantastic resource for making use of what you can find in the environment around you
-plus a few more small odds an ends
-plus a couple things that I don't keep in my bag but would grab on my way out (i.e. fire arm, food, maybe some camping gear, etc.)

I opt for minimal weight and mobility. I'm not going to count on having a car or being able to get anywhere with it. My assumption is I'll be on foot or maybe bicycles. I can easily fit my stuff in a backpack with room to spare for some food or additional clothing. If the s$$t really hit the fan and I'm forced to evacuate my home, I have no intention of trying to lug around a hundred pounds worth of stuff and those that do are in for a rude awakening. There are lessons to be learned from hikers who measure their gear in ounces and consider being able to reduce a half a pound off their loaded packs a significant success. I could keep myself an my family going for several days for sure and probably a few weeks with what we can carry on our backs, some basic foraging/hunting, and common sense.

If stability hasn't returned after a few weeks and society has gone full on stone age like Hollywood like to portray, well I guess we could say the doomsday preppers were right all along and survival of the fittest at it's most basic level will rule the day.

I have one, wont go into too much detail but it contains: extra magazines, survival knife, food, water tablets, waterproof matches, firestarter, 550 cord, anti-biotics, generic first aid kit, little bit of cash, chem lights, flash light, extra socks, water bottle, fishing line and hooks, emergency parka, and probably a few more things I cant think of right now.

Cash, passport, small book bag with clothes. Ready to evacuate or immigrate in a hurry. The bag is always packed.

I have one, wont go into too much detail but it contains: extra magazines, survival knife, food, water tablets, waterproof matches, firestarter, 550 cord, anti-biotics, generic first aid kit, little bit of cash, chem lights, flash light, extra socks, water bottle, fishing line and hooks, emergency parka, and probably a few more things I cant think of right now.

This is essentially my bag with little extras in some categories, but with this bag I have the intention of being able to return to my apartment at some point. A full bug out and never return is much different obviously.

:lol: "That's it. This country is done for. Book me a flight."

I don't believe that. What I do believe is life turns on the edge of a dime. History is full of examples illustrating the prepared, willing, and mobile, were often able to escape the worst events. I know not what may come my way, if anything, bad weather, political unrest, or horrible war. I do know how I will respond to it.

Legion

Staff member
I don't believe that. What I do believe is life turns on the edge of a dime. History is full of examples illustrating the prepared, willing, and mobile, were often able to escape the worst events. I know not what may come my way, if anything, bad weather, political unrest, or horrible war. I do know how I will respond to it.

I think for most of us in western countries, our biggest danger is natural disasters. Political unrest to the point where you would need to bugout is unlikely, and war on our own soil would also be seen to be coming a long way off, so you would have a chance to prepare.

Natural disasters, on the other hand... Boom! Where did my house go?

A serious disease outbreak is also something worth considering, and might be worth heading to the hills over. If some mutant killer flu happened, it might be good having enough supplies on hand that you can avoid the supermarket for a while.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have the most amazing bug out bag in the world. I keep it in Jim's car.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
While I am no serious prepper, I do believe in hoping for the best but being prepared for the worst. Since there are several different types of "bugging out," there should be several types of "bug out bags." I have three other brothers with families of their own. We all own and share a pretty good sized acreage of land with a decent sized, more of a 'hunting house' than a cabin, in the secluded/wooded NE part of Oklahoma.

While it would still be crowded for all our family members, it still is doable in an emergency. It has it's own well and septic, and stays stocked and supplied year round. so the bug out bags would only need the necessary items that would help in getting to that location.

However, if one doesn't have such a location to bug out too, then the BOB bag would be more essential and filled more with longer term necessities. a 3 or 4 season tent along with it would not be a bad idea.

Legion

Staff member
The most important thing you need in an emergency is usually potable water, and the ability to make more. Think about that. You can have all the Rambo stuff in the world, if you don't drink you are screwed. In most wide scale disaster situations, that is the first thing to get dicey, water. Worry about that.

After that, food, heat (if you are somewhere really cold) and light.

You do not need to have your tinfoil hat and bomb shelter ready to go. All I do is keep a few extra supplies in a plastic bag with my camping stuff. Then I keep my camping stuff in a cupboard that is easily accessible in an emergency, rather than the attic, or some other out of the way place. Just be smart about it. Think, if the zombies come, and it is the middle of the night, and I might have to sleep rough for a little while, what would I need?

Well, water, light, some food, maybe a weapon...

But maybe I am in my pyjamas. Pack some light shoes, socks, some toilet paper, some disinfectant. Add those things to your camping kit, which probably already has a cooking solution, a sleeping kit, , a tarp, knife, cord, and whatever. Put the extras in a bag that can be quickly taken out when you actually go camping and don't need it, and it takes up no extra space at all really.

I would say let cooler heads prevail, What is the most likely thing you will need ? That is what you take.
If you are in the city and you rarely leave the city you will not need a fishing kit and a way to make fire.
You will most likely need cash, a credit card, three forms of ID and a mobile phone.

But what ever you do throw together just remember your Razor brush and a few extra blades.

Having been stranded in the middle of nowhere during heavy blizzards twice in my life, I always carry a BOB in my car. It has everything I need to sustain me and my family for a short period of time.

I'm more of "bug in" type, we live in a rural area, not likely the main focus of an invading force. Besides, I'd be able to hold my ground here a lot better than out and about. We have a large supply of fresh water within 100 yards of the house, several options for heating the home, with or with out electricity. My wife keeps an emergency kit in her vehicle, a couple gallons of water, a box of meal replacement bars, huge spotlight/emergency flasher(seriously, you could light up an aircraft with that thing) a couple of zero temp sleeping bags and various blankets and such. Most of it she only carries in cold weather in the event of being stranded in a snow storm on some godforsaken highway. In the event of actual zombies, we've just decided to get bit early and join the horde, seems like the proactive thing to do.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
" we've just decided to get bit early and join the horde, seems like the proactive thing to do."

Or cyanide pills. :surrender:

Thank you, gentlemen, for your input. We had a major power outage last winter. No electricity for 5 days. After three cold nights we packed up and moved to a hotel few hours away. That's what prompted us to create a BOB and a bug-out plan. In case of any serious social unrest, we are bugging-in.

I have several bags that are an ongoing project. I've got the basics covered , still need some things.

2 different ways to produce drinkable water (a filtration system and iodine pills)
several lighters (I do have a flint, but come on, lighters have a long shelf life and are way easier)
a decent fixed blade knife
a Leatherman multi-tool
2 flashlights (with batteries removed)
Batteries (change these out yearly)
a whistle
a signal mirror
a small can opener
hand sanitizer
stainless steel canteen mug
a small bit of fishing gear (most of which can double as something else)
small portable camp stove
rain gear
extra socks
zip ties
paracord
duct tape
firearm and ammo

I would like a portable solar charger, some sort of solar powered radio , some light sticks , and I need a survival book.

Most of this is just a hobby, if the SHTF we probably won't be bugging out on foot. We have two dogs, and two cats and there is no way my wife would leave them. I feel the same way about my firearms collection so my bug out back basically turned into a bug out Ford Excursion that is filled. We will be $_hit out of luck of we suffer an EMP attack though.

Never underestimate the usefulness of the much maligned plastic soda bottle. Landfills be damned, they can be invaluable for everything from carrying water to dry storage for grains, gunpowder, and fire starting material.

Top Bottom