What's new

What's Your Favorite Guitar Riff or Solo?

I meant to add "Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter Group, and "Inna Gadda Da Vida" by Iron butterfly.

I had my guitar teacher teach me Ina Gadda Da Vida when i was in High School.... His friend told him that "nobody in their right mind would want to learn that"; they made a bet..... He didn't win 'cause he couldn't prove I was in my right mind :ohmy::tongue:

For pop, I think the best guitar riff is Bowie's "China Girl"
....snip

I do believe that was SRV

snip....
Mark Knopfler's closing solo in Sultans of Swing!
....snip

I'm disappointed in myself I didn't think of him, definately one of the greats.

Riff- the base line in Stayin' Alive. I know; Bee Gees. Listen to the song again. it's an AWESOME base line.
....snip

Since we're talking bass now, listen to "People Let's Stop The War" by Grand Funk. Yer woofers better be up to it though.:ohmy:

Bass line for "Billie Jean" is one of the best bass riffs out there.

Terry Kath's guitar solo in the album version of "25 or 6 to 4" always has me singing along with the guitar - and for most Chicago stuff (pre-sellout, e.g. before Chicago VII), I'm usually doing that with the horns.

Kath's best expressive work, though, is found in "A Song for Richard and His Friends." Among other things, he makes the guitar sound like a bombing raid, complete with sirens and plane engines.

Don Felder, Glen Frey and the great Joe Walsh--side by side by side through the middle of Hotel California--awesome live.

Special mention for Eddie's work on "Ain't talkin' bout Love" and "Unchained."

All the obvious ones...Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc etc etc.

But my actual fave is not so obvious. Robert Quine's solo on 'Waves of Fear' from the Lou Reed album 'The Blue Mask'. Not for the faint of heart.

Dave

Not playing favorites, but mention should be made of the Dead Boys' Sonic Reducer, arguably the most covered four chords in punk rock.

Not to go too far off subject but has anybody seen these Cigar Box Guitars? I fisrt noticed them on Youtube and they seem to sound, well kinda interesting. Cigar Box Video I have a couple of wooden cigar boxes so I may try my hand at making one. Cigar Box Guitars
Ernest

Hmmm...way to many ponder...

David Gilmour on "Comfortably Numb" is notable
Whilst I'm on PF, Gilmour on "Time" was also nice

Joe Satriani - Solo on "One Big Rush" (too many Satriani pieces to go into...)

Eric Johnson - nice solo on Desert Rose (lots of good work here also)

James Marshall Hendrix - Little Wing, et.al. (way before his time...)

Someone earlier mentioned bass prodigy Jaco Pastorius...he was superb on the fretless. His work was stunning, and he had an incredible sense of the underlying "beat" (in a metronome sense)... RIP Jaco.

Terry Kath's guitar solo in the album version of "25 or 6 to 4" always has me singing along with the guitar - and for most Chicago stuff (pre-sellout, e.g. before Chicago VII), I'm usually doing that with the horns.

+1,000
Great music! Danny Seraphine made me want to play drums. He is a MONSTER! I'll never comprehend why they kicked him out of the band.

What a thread. Too many great ones. So many great ones already mentioned.

To try to find something different...
Although these three are not spectacular in and of themselves, I think they add a lot to the songs they are in.

Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione (don't know who the guitarist was)
2 Tickets to Paradise - Eddie Money (don't know who the guitarist was)
Barstool Blues - Neil Young

I could go on and on, but I won't ;)

[YOUTUBE]nBA2REoRD98[/YOUTUBE]

The opening to this one by Elmore James has been haunting me for about 2 years, now!
It Hurts Me, Too.

+1,000
Great music! Danny Seraphine made me want to play drums. He is a MONSTER! I'll never comprehend why they kicked him out of the band.

Norm,

Side note, Seraphine was one of the few rock drummers Buddy Rich had any respect for, which says a lot for me.

I need to add one more to the list that I forgot about yesterday:

Santana Soul Sacrafice as performed live at Woodstock in '69

The whole song is good. The drum solo also goes in as one of the best ever.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I love the guitar solos in the Beatles' Abbey Road, especially the one near the end where the three who aren't Ringo take turn in a 3-way jam.

That, and Ramblin' Man by the Allman Brothers.

I love the guitar solos in the Beatles' Abbey Road, especially the one near the end where the three who aren't Ringo take turn in a 3-way jam.

Reminds of when Joe Walsh was on the radio here in Chicago. He was telling this story about when he met John Lenon. "Man that guitar solo you did on (forgot the name of the song) was hard man it took me 2 weeks to learn it."
John responds That was me and Paul.

Top Bottom