What's new

What's Your Favorite Guitar Riff or Solo?

The title says it all. I play a lot of instruments but somehow, I skipped over the guitar. Still though, some songs make me pull out the air guitar. What's your favorite guitar riff or solo? This could be jazz, blues, rock & roll, hard rock, or anything else you like. Notice I didn't say the best so don't go telling someone your riff is better than his (or hers)! :001_tt2:

Trevor Rabin - Owner of a Lonely Heart.

It may not be recognized as "The Best", but for me it is. It is quick, recognizable, effective, lends to the song and does not stand out like a sore thumb, good technique (for the time), plus it has contrasting dynamics.

Lastly, it has stood the test of time and continues make me grab the air guitar each time I hear it.

so far, all the ones listed are great, but someone's gotta mention "Back in Black".....oh, I guess I just did :biggrin1:

David Gilmour's solo in the Alan Parsons song "Return to Trunguska" found on A Valid Path is one of my favorites.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Dave's got a million of them, but one of my favorites, albeit a short one, is at 2:54, and again at 7:43.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdvza0m5AB4[/YOUTUBE]

There are lots of great guitar solo's that I love, but I song keeps my fascinated. Despite the fact it's an hour long!

Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation
The best guitar solo can be found around 42 minutes. But the song is so good I always listen the full hour of musical geniusness.

David Gilmore - Marooned

David Gilmore - "Hey You" 2:00 - about 3:00.

Great song, Jay. I honestly think he performs it better live than recorded. The haunting theme is more alive in the live version.

Gotta go with Lynyrd Skynyrd's Allen Collins (RIP) ...4+ minutes of guitar genius in "Freebird".........raising lighter skyward...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mioGewkWVdo[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not even a huge Slash or even GunsNRoses fan... but the start of "Sweet Child of Mine" and the guitar solo in the middle of "November Rain" really get me every time.

I'm not even a huge Slash or even GunsNRoses fan... but the start of "Sweet Child of Mine" and the guitar solo in the middle of "November Rain" really get me every time.

I AM a huge Slash / GnR fan, and I agree. His work on "Estranged" & "You Could Be Mine" is great too.

Thinking about it, this is one of the hardest "What's your favourite ..............." threads I've ever posted to. There are dozens out there I love.

Numerous by Clapton, Jimi or SRV, the intro to "Wish You Were Here", Tony Iommi doesn't get the credit he deserves IMHO, OMG, I could go on & on.

Alex Lifeson's solo called Discovery on 2112. There is also David Gilmour's solo on Comfortably Numb. Those two hang around in my head a lot.

I don't know what that says about me, but I'm happy with it. :smile:

There are so many classic riffs that it's impossible to pick one.. but perhaps my favorite "guitar moment" is the break-down riff after the first verse of "Angel of Death" by Slayer. Sampled by Public Enemy ("Channel Zero") and KMFDM among others. It's just brilliant, and very Slayer.

Also, in "Powerslave" by Iron Maiden.. the 2nd solo (Dave Murray?) after the bass break. Gives me chills every time.

The three/four chords played "Ching Ching Ching" by Jason Castro last night on American Idol, in his ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC rendition of "Tambourine Man."

Let's see, there are so many. Steve Rothery on Sugar Mice, Steve Hackett's amazing work on Selling England By the Pound, Mike Holmes on Intelligence Quotient, Steve Howe on Going for the One, Robert Fripp on Thela Hun Ginjeet, John Petrucci on Pull Me Under, my good friend Carl Groves work on Mimi's Magic Moment. I'll stop now, but there are so many.

Top Bottom