What's new

What’s your favorite knife length?

Hi All,
So my go-to knives in the kitchen are a 180mm (7inch) gyuto and Nakiri (for non-Japanese knife folks a gyuto is the equivalent of a French Chef’s knife and a nakiri is a rectangular shaped knife for cutting vegetables). That seems to be on relatively short, compared to what you see sold at various knife shops. Today I was chopping up a pumpkin so I pulled out my back-up gyuto which is 240mm (9.5”). I have to say that it seemed horrendously long to me. I use 270-300mm (11-12inch) slicing knives all the time, but for push-cutting the 240mm knife seemed quite excessive. Is that just me? My impression is that professional chefs normally would use 240-270mm for a chef’s knife.

Thanks for your comments!

Marty

After a few years I really like the 260/270mm length for a chef. Covers basically any food. Even 240 can be short for some things. But 240 is fine for 90% of all cooking tasks. 210 is too short and 225 is a disappointing compromise.

large. It is limited by the space and counter/ cutting board though. So far 250mm Cleaver seems to fit the right spot. 270 maybe a bit long for my homes counter and cabinet spacing.

After a few years I really like the 260/270mm length for a chef. Covers basically any food. Even 240 can be short for some things. But 240 is fine for 90% of all cooking tasks. 210 is too short and 225 is a disappointing compromise.

Boooo! No votes here Sam. BOOOOOO!!!

For me - Gyuto somewhere between 210-225mm. Caidao must be at least 90mm tall, preferably more.

My favorite gyuto right now is 180mm, but it's too small. I'm eventually going to get the 240mm version.

Once I got used to 250mm, everything smaller feels tiny (except the 220mm cai dao)

Top Bottom