What's new

Japanese Knife handle configuration help please.

Hi all

I have decided to buy a Japanese knife to go with the BB end grain cutting board that I have bought for my Mum as a gift. (I think it may have been Jims' picture in the original thread that gave me the idea.) The cutting board is still in progress so I have a little time to find something suitable.

I have looked at a few websites at some of the knives and there seems to be a range of handle options. D shaped, Octagonal, Round and Western style. I am not in a position where I am able to handle the different knives, and it will be purchased via the internet.

My Mum in the last couple of years has developed arthritis in the base of her thumb on her dominant hand, as such I know that she has lost some the strength in her grip.

I was wondering if any members can advise if one style of grip would be more suitable than the other. I summise that the round grip may be one to stay away from. (Possibly slippery with a lower grip strength)

I was looking at this one which has a western grip, but then I thought I would ask the question as possibly another grip would be more suitable

http://www.chefsarmoury.com/kitchen...e/kanetsune-damascus-240mm-gyuto/prod_69.html

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
It depends on how she holds a knife - D shaped, octagonal and round are probably more friendly towards a pinch grip, whereas Western style is probably more ergonomically designed in favour of.. Well, I don't know what you'd call the grip. By pinch grip I mean this -
$how-to-hold-chef-knife-like-a-professional-grip.jpg
If she has lost thumb strength I'd veer towards a Western grip, unless she's already using a pinch grip, in which case you've still got 3 to pick from :biggrin1:

YetiDave

Thanks for the responce. Since she would have used a western grip knife all of her life, maybe I should stick with what I have chosen.

Do the "traditional" grips lend themselves to the pinch grip?

As a more mature lady, I guess her grip strength would be decreasing regardless of arthritis. I guess having used a western grip, she has a baseball bat grip..:biggrin1:

Possibly a pinch grip would be easier for her...........thoughts?

If you're using a pinch grip the western contours might not line up will with your last couple of fingers but that usually only happens if there is a huge bezel on the knife. I have a round handle but since only my pickie and ring finger touch the knife handle I could use about any shaped handle.

I find pinch grips work with most knives to be honest, and given that it's a Japanese knife it's likely to be ultra sharp which'll make most cutting tasks extremely easy - the sharpness alone should help counter any reduced strength. You could suggest giving the pinch a try, it doesn't require a whole load of thumb strength as pressure still comes from the palm and the thumb and forefinger serve to control cutting direction

Thanks for all the help.

I ended up purchasing this.....http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIVG-10.html

A 240 mm Gyuto. It has a western handle. I figure if she has used a western handle all of her life, then why complicate it. If she has already started to change her knife holding style to alleviate any problems then she will still be able to do it with this.

I will definitely suggest the pinch grip for her, as I think it may help.

Cheers

Dave

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Did it arrive yet?

This will sound funnier when you see how fast they ship.

Top Bottom