What's new

Surf Wax Scented Cream/Soap?

Hi everyone, I surf a lot and I just love the scent of surf wax, particularly Sex Wax and Sticky Bumps. I was wondering if there are any creams or soaps that are scented like them? I post this on the shaving cream forum because I use cream but soap is fine too.

Love the smell of surf wax too. Think its because it reminds me of great days at the beach.Most of the scent is coconut oil, have you tried any of the coconut creams?

Yeah, first step is definitely to figure out what exactly surf wax smells like....

-Mo

I can't really put my finger on what surf wax really smells like. I know coconut is a main scent of many surf waxes but I am not a big fan of coconut because it reminds me more of sunblock than surf wax.

My girlfriend feels that Sex Wax has a sort of peppermint/mint scent to it with something she can't describe.

Sticky Bumps has this sweet smell almost like sweet bubble gum, but clean and not too thick and sticky.

I don't know if that's any help. I really can't describe how they smell like...:blush:

Just passed round a puck of Sex Wax at home to see what the other members of my family think it smells of. Number one son just said phurr! and ran off holding his nose, but my other half thought there was a hint of vanilla there. Can see what you mean by a hint of peppermint, very subtle though.

Hmm...so maybe mixture of vanilla, peppermint and some coconut for Sex Wax? Too bad I'm not at my house at the moment to smell the wax...now I want to go surfing...lol

Surf wax is intentionally scented? And Blueberries? How odd....

I wonder if waxing a kayaking with surf wax would decrease the friction and speed it up....

-Mo

Surf wax is intentionally scented? And Blueberries? How odd....

I wonder if waxing a kayaking with surf wax would decrease the friction and speed it up....

-Mo

Blueberries is an odd scent for surf wax. I never would have thought it either but that's what the site said, I don't know whether to take them on their word or not. I can't seem to find blueberry scented cream anywhere either....

As for waxing your kayak, I don't think surf wax would do it. Surf wax creates a bumpy, sticky texture on the top of the surfboard so our feet would stick and not slip while we're on the wave. The bumpy texture would increase the friction and probably decrease performance.

You might want to try snowboard wax, where it smooths out the bottom of the board to help it glide across the snow better so that might help with the kayak.

As for waxing your kayak, I don't think surf wax would do it. Surf wax creates a bumpy, sticky texture on the top of the surfboard so our feet would stick and not slip while we're on the wave. The bumpy texture would increase the friction and probably decrease performance.

Hmmm..... Guess I totally misunderstood the purpose. Makes more sense now, I was pretty skeptical that you could decrease friction in liquid water that way. That said, now I am suddenly thinking about using it on my shaft, to improve grip. It can get a little slippery at times. Although, since my hands are rotating on it constantly, wonder if increasing friction would be a bad thing....

(Paddle shaft. Get your mind out of the gutter.)

-Mo

Hmmm..... Guess I totally misunderstood the purpose. Makes more sense now, I was pretty skeptical that you could decrease friction in liquid water that way. That said, now I am suddenly thinking about using it on my shaft, to improve grip. It can get a little slippery at times. Although, since my hands are rotating on it constantly, wonder if increasing friction would be a bad thing....

-Mo

It should be able to improve your grip but there may be a chance that you may develop a rash from too much friction. That's why a lot of surfers use rash guards even in really warm water. That being said, it probably won't hurt to try it out. A bar of wax is usually a dollar around here. Just make sure that you choose the correct temperature wax for the water that you will be paddling out in.

-Mo

hey Mo, I read some time ago, a study that showed that if the surface is slightly rough, it slides through the water easier than if is it slick and smooth. they are even making swim suits with a rough texture to give swmmers an advantage. I think they got that from studying shark skin which is sort of like sandpaper.

I have not had a problem with my paddle slipping. but I am more of a tourist.

so is there a cream that smells like it?? my dad used to be a big surfer and loves that smell...and just started wet shaving so i think it would be a nice gift...so if there is one id love to know...or maybe we could take a bunch of different smelling soaps and mix them up in different proportions til you get the right scent...i dunno how you would do that but im sure it can be done...it would be wicked cool.

hey Mo, I read some time ago, a study that showed that if the surface is slightly rough, it slides through the water easier than if is it slick and smooth. they are even making swim suits with a rough texture to give swmmers an advantage. I think they got that from studying shark skin which is sort of like sandpaper.

Hmm.... That actually sounds familiar. Guess it is something about creating a turbulent boundary layer. Interestingly, modern plastic whitewater boats often have a textured bottom, to help them loose traction and slide over a wave face.

Yeah, I guess it is not so much an issue now that I am doing pretty much only sea kayaking. Back when I did a lot of whitewater, it could be an issue mainly in winter, when my hands would loose a little function from the cold.

-Mo

so is there a cream that smells like it?? my dad used to be a big surfer and loves that smell...and just started wet shaving so i think it would be a nice gift...so if there is one id love to know...or maybe we could take a bunch of different smelling soaps and mix them up in different proportions til you get the right scent...i dunno how you would do that but im sure it can be done...it would be wicked cool.

There isn't a cream I know of that smells like surf wax in particular at the moment. I think the closest we'll get is coconut... but personally I don't think its close enough...

The reason for this is that the rough texture holds little pockets of water that swirl around, and the friction of the outside water on these little pockets of water is less than the friction of the outside water on the material itself. I am investigated applying this affect to racing shell hulls.

Top Bottom