What's new

I know, both are KILLER brushes.. but still..PICK: Rooney 2XL or Thater 4125/2 I Fan

"You cant go wrong, buy both, its a win win, its a toss up, buy a Simpson, save your money and buy a boar!".. yeah, yeah, yeah..we heard just about all those rebutles when faced with a "Pick a brush thread" trust me I know :001_tongu And both are stellar brushes so Im not even going to ask which is the better brush BUT for those who had the opportunity to try both OR for those who would just like to add there 2 cents, which brush has more or less of what and which would you prefer?

I have both... I would say Thater by the slimmest of margins. You are talking two of my absolute favorites (until the rest of my brushes arrive in the mail of course). All kidding aside, you can't go wrong with either.

I have both... I would say Thater by the slimmest of margins. You are talking two of my absolute favorites (until the rest of my brushes arrive in the mail of course). All kidding aside, you can't go wrong with either.

"you can't go wrong with either." Brent, c'mon, that goes with out saying.. :) Your not getting off that easy.. The Thater by a nose you say? Why? Please indulge us.. more backbone, denser knot, better flow through, softer tips?? This my friend are the variables or differences between the two we'd like to know, marginal or not ;) continue....

I had each of the XL series, and as awesome as the hair is, I feel that the the Thaters are about as soft AND they have MUCH better lather release (IMO). Thater gets my vote...

AgBill, which did you feel has better backbone? I imagine the XL was at least a bit more dense than the Thater if it didn't give up the lather as easily?

"you can't go wrong with either." Brent, c'mon, that goes with out saying.. :) Your not getting off that easy.. The Thater by a nose you say? Why? Please indulge us.. more backbone, denser knot, better flow through, softer tips?? This my friend are the variables or differences between the two we'd like to know, marginal or not ;) continue....

LOL I couldn't resist the "you can't go wrong with". The Thater just flat out has the softest tips I have ever felt. The Rooney has more backbone IMHO but, that is not me suggesting the Thater is lacking backbone. I think the Thater has the edge on density as well. If you prefer a "scritchier" brush the Rooney may be you cup of tea.

Last edited:
Ok Brent, now we're talking.. btw, I'll pretend you didn't use the word scritchier to describe the XL, you should now thats blasphemous around here.. lol.. but I appreciate the feedback. Clearly, by the looks of things and as I truthfully suspected, this would be an incredibly tight race..

I am mulling this exact same decision at the moment. The difference is I already have a 2XL and it is by far my favorite performing brush so I was considering getting a backup. This brush is not scritchy by any means, I have multiple Simpsons and shavemac two bands and the XL is far softer.

The thater you specified has a 26 mm knot, while the 2XL has a 28 mm knot.

I'm also slightly hesitant to buy a thater after the recent controversy. But just slightly.

Bill, the 2mm difference per the specs, if a concern, shouldn't be. It seems with Thaters, the majority of owners have all advised folks to typically do a +2 when considering these brushes since apparently they are a tad bigger than the specs usually indicate which should make it right on par, size wise, to the XL.

I own both and 2xl by a landslide here. The 2xl will never leave, the thater is in question. It's a great brush, but nothing that just screams excitement. The 2xl is in a class of its own.

Another thought to consider, there is only one place on earth to get a 2xl outside of second hand and that source never knows when they will stop getting them.

Last edited:
I love my Thater Silvertip and my 2XL. Not giving up either. It all comes down to what you want in a brush. If you want a firmer brush with soft tips but tons of backbone that will eat soaps, the 2XL is your brush. Keep in mind it has 2-band hair. If you want cloud-like softness and decent backbone for a Silvertip, then the Thater is your brush.

Just get both :scared:

I have sadly not used either brush so I cannot give constructive input. It might help to give everyone some information on what you are looking for, possibly ask the people who own both to shave with them looking for those exact qualities and immediately post. This way it is the details are super fresh and will help you make a more informed choice. I do agree with cvac on the fact that you should get both but if not I would recommend the Rooney. This decision is based on a dice roll of 6 dice and totaling the score (Rooney=18 and Thater=15), the dice were all standard issue Bicycle Die.

I love my Thater Silvertip and my 2XL. Not giving up either. It all comes down to what you want in a brush. If you want a firmer brush with soft tips but tons of backbone that will eat soaps, the 2XL is your brush. Keep in mind it has 2-band hair. If you want cloud-like softness and decent backbone for a Silvertip, then the Thater is your brush.

Just get both :scared:

Well, if a 3 band silver tip Thater was one of my choices, I would be OK with getting both since they are would certainly be different brushes but the Thater being considered here, on paper and visualy, with the exception of the handles are very similar and both 2 Band knots.

The idea for me is not to own 2 VERY similar brushes but to chose one which may excel in key areas over the other... (backbone, density, flow through, etc..) if it was a 3 band silver tip vs a 2 band decision then I wouldn't necessarily choose one over the other since both would offer a different variety in my rotation. That said, it seems like the Rooney may be a bit better in those key areas mentioned... but I believe the verdict is still out until others with who've tried this 2 band Thater chime in..

Last edited:
I own both the rooney and thater. The thater does have softer tips and release lather better but, that is because the rooney is denser and has better backbone. I find that the rooney has no scritch at all and does well for face lathering. I mainly use my thater for bowl lathering. If I could only own one....... It would be the rooney heritage stubby 2XL

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I've never owned a Thater, not because they aren't great brushes or for any better reason then they just don't speak to me. They don't call out to me saying, "Buy me! You must have me!"
proxy.php

On the other hand, I bought a Rooney 1XL back when they were offered the very first time and loved it so much that I very quickly bought a 2XL. I have never regretted buying these brushes. They have good backbone. They are dense, soft, and always feel like a pure indulgence to use. They have been very stable brushes. I can't recall that between the two they have lost so much as a single hair. I own over 30 brushes and the XLs are two of my favorite.

Still, it comes back to this. You already know that the Thater and Rooney are great brushes. But which one "speaks" to you.

The more I here the Rooney XL provides better backbone and feels denser the more this sounds like the brush for me... but I'm not one to make a haste decision and the continuation of this debate is far too interesting to me.. Rooney and Thater owners, you were saying??

I've never owned a Thater, not because they aren't great brushes or for any better reason then they just don't speak to me. They don't call out to me saying, "Buy me! You must have me!"
proxy.php

On the other hand, I bought a Rooney 1XL back when they were offered the very first time and loved it so much that I very quickly bought a 2XL. I have never regretted buying these brushes. They
have good backbone. They are dense, soft, and always feel like a pure indulgence to use. They have been very stable brushes. I can't recall that between the two they have lost so much as a single hair. I own over 30 brushes and the XLs are two of my favorite.

Still, it comes back to this. You already know that the Thater and Rooney are great brushes. But which one "speaks" to you.
Damn you Robin! Just when we were having fun over analyzing these brushes, there you go bringing sense and logic to the subject! LOL!

Last edited:
Top Bottom