What's new

Beginning to end - my DE journey and search for a RFL

@Alum Ladd and @thombrogan

Thank you, as always, for your care and concern.

All is good, just tied up with work and life, fixing windows and sweeping up rocks, and forgot how long it has been since I posted.

There has also been relatively little to post about.

I was doing the one blade in February with the King C Gillette and as @Guido75 said it would be, it was in fact easy peasy. Having said that, on day 29 of February the force I had to exert on the blade to drag it through the whiskers was significantly more than at the beginning of February. In terms of use I think that I would have considered stopping use of the blade on days 26-27 given the loss of performance but pushed to 29 because it was one blade and it was only February. Also, the shaves weren't terrible just not as comfortable as they can be. So the learning was that the King C Gillette for me had at least 20-25 days of relatively comfortable shaves in it. A lot more than the 4-5 days of shaving I had previously pushed it to.

The other problem with this is that it made me wonder how other blades in my collection would go? I don't know if you can fall down an excalibur hole ... or be stung by an excalibur blade ... possibly struck by the excalibur curse??

So at the beginning of March, maybe with the words easy peasy still ringing in my ears, I followed @Guido75's other common recommendation and brushed off a Dorco Titan blade to see how that would go. At day 2-3 it wasn't feeling the best, not bad but it felt like it was faltering but then day 4-8 it smoothed out and was a nice blade to shave with. It made it to 11 March with one no shave day so 10 days before it was feeling uncomfortable enough to move on. I am not trying to see how far I can possibly push a blade to the detriment of my desired comfort level, but I am more dipping a toe into the longevity waters of the blades, so to speak. Either way a lot further than the 4 days of previous use that I would have given the blade.

On returning to my shaving den (aka - half of one shelf of the bathroom cupboard) I noticed a little tuck of blades that I had enjoyed but not revisited for some time. So from 12 March to now I have had a Silver Star loaded in the razor. I guess that means it has now hit 10 days (possibly 11) of shaving. Today was the first time it felt like it was pulling a bit more than normal, until now it has provided nice smooth shaves. I think it has at least one more day of shaving to see how it feels.

I varied the razor a bit during February but since the last few days of February to now I have been stuck on the Rockwell 6C on Plate 6. This is too easy and nice to use and given my lack of time it has been simpler to just stick with the one razor.

Rest of shaving has been standard, prep is still hot shower and splash of water to face, shaving pattern has remained consistent with first pass North to South all over, second pass across the grain ear to nose on face and then against the grain South to North on neck and under jawline.

Soaps have varied through Tabac (new), Haslinger Schafmilch, Arko! and Proraso green. The Proraso green has been getting a lot of face time lately, not sure if it is the hotter weather we were having or if I am developing a menthol addiction but it has been the predominant soap of choice of late. Generally two days of Proraso and then a whip around the rest.

The brush of choice has been the Semogue Mistura since the end of February, so nice to use, I keep thinking of switching it out but then just one more morning...

I do have one problem though which is that if this excalibur thing continues and I keep getting more than 10 days out of a blade, while I haven't done the exact calculation, I think I may already have more blades than I will live to use. Does anyone have any recommendation for a health and fitness plan or a pill that will keep me going to the end of my blade supply? With perhaps a bit extra for when I get out of GRUYERE and purchase some more Silver Star blades?

Happy shaving all.

@Alum Ladd and @thombrogan

Thank you, as always, for your care and concern.

All is good, just tied up with work and life, fixing windows and sweeping up rocks, and forgot how long it has been since I posted.

There has also been relatively little to post about.

I was doing the one blade in February with the King C Gillette and as @Guido75 said it would be, it was in fact easy peasy. Having said that, on day 29 of February the force I had to exert on the blade to drag it through the whiskers was significantly more than at the beginning of February. In terms of use I think that I would have considered stopping use of the blade on days 26-27 given the loss of performance but pushed to 29 because it was one blade and it was only February. Also, the shaves weren't terrible just not as comfortable as they can be. So the learning was that the King C Gillette for me had at least 20-25 days of relatively comfortable shaves in it. A lot more than the 4-5 days of shaving I had previously pushed it to.

The other problem with this is that it made me wonder how other blades in my collection would go? I don't know if you can fall down an excalibur hole ... or be stung by an excalibur blade ... possibly struck by the excalibur curse??

So at the beginning of March, maybe with the words easy peasy still ringing in my ears, I followed @Guido75's other common recommendation and brushed off a Dorco Titan blade to see how that would go. At day 2-3 it wasn't feeling the best, not bad but it felt like it was faltering but then day 4-8 it smoothed out and was a nice blade to shave with. It made it to 11 March with one no shave day so 10 days before it was feeling uncomfortable enough to move on. I am not trying to see how far I can possibly push a blade to the detriment of my desired comfort level, but I am more dipping a toe into the longevity waters of the blades, so to speak. Either way a lot further than the 4 days of previous use that I would have given the blade.

On returning to my shaving den (aka - half of one shelf of the bathroom cupboard) I noticed a little tuck of blades that I had enjoyed but not revisited for some time. So from 12 March to now I have had a Silver Star loaded in the razor. I guess that means it has now hit 10 days (possibly 11) of shaving. Today was the first time it felt like it was pulling a bit more than normal, until now it has provided nice smooth shaves. I think it has at least one more day of shaving to see how it feels.

I varied the razor a bit during February but since the last few days of February to now I have been stuck on the Rockwell 6C on Plate 6. This is too easy and nice to use and given my lack of time it has been simpler to just stick with the one razor.

Rest of shaving has been standard, prep is still hot shower and splash of water to face, shaving pattern has remained consistent with first pass North to South all over, second pass across the grain ear to nose on face and then against the grain South to North on neck and under jawline.

Soaps have varied through Tabac (new), Haslinger Schafmilch, Arko! and Proraso green. The Proraso green has been getting a lot of face time lately, not sure if it is the hotter weather we were having or if I am developing a menthol addiction but it has been the predominant soap of choice of late. Generally two days of Proraso and then a whip around the rest.

The brush of choice has been the Semogue Mistura since the end of February, so nice to use, I keep thinking of switching it out but then just one more morning...

I do have one problem though which is that if this excalibur thing continues and I keep getting more than 10 days out of a blade, while I haven't done the exact calculation, I think I may already have more blades than I will live to use. Does anyone have any recommendation for a health and fitness plan or a pill that will keep me going to the end of my blade supply? With perhaps a bit extra for when I get out of GRUYERE and purchase some more Silver Star blades?

Happy shaving all.
Welcome back!

Our neighbours (New Zealand) have a lolly/sweet/candy called chocolate fush although I think it is spelled 'chocolate fish'.

Given the Swiss chocolate and from what I know of Okinawa (having watched the original Karate Kid 2 movie when it came out in the 80's) fish is high in their diet. Perhaps a solid dietary supplement of chocolate fish is the way to go, maybe those New Zealanders are on to something.

Or maybe I need to spend my life trying to break a large log with one punch ... the 80's were very confusing for me.

Either way, if you do hear of any Swiss ladies that have married an Okinawan gentleman or the other way around, who are looking for an heir to their cheese knife empire, please feel free to pass on my details.

The Excalibur curse or fun with blades - Day 1

Today was the first day of a new blade, the Silver Star lasted well but the final couple of days were a bit more tugging than slicing and I decided it was farewell. But after 13 days it was a good performer and the quality of the shave was a solid damn fine shave maybe only the odd minus throughout.

So today I scanned around and my eyes landed on the Muhle blades, I quickly thought no and kept looking around only to come back to them with an uneasy feeling that they would be the next to go.

I don't dislike Muhle blades, they were one of the first 'different' blades I tried and they were lovely, I then tried them again when I had more experience and they were not so good. I am hence in two minds and they are a bit of an enigma for me. With all this distracting over complicating and over thinking going on I finally convinced myself (based on nothing but my vague impression) that Muhle are supposed to be a high quality blade and it would be interesting to see how long they last for.

Sticking with the Rockwell 6C on plate 6 and the Mistura brush because one big decision is enough for one morning, the first shave with the Muhle went well. Felt quite smooth, not crazy sharp but alright. Final wash up felt really nice and smooth and I was impressed. Then by the time I had arrived at work the original smooth had gone and a slight roughness was already appearing.

Usually when I get close to baby bottom smooth it lasts for an hour or so at least, this was not the case this time. A full beard didn't pop out so I am being critical but it was not as smooth as initially promised.

Hopefully, as our time together progresses, I get better and it gets better and we meet in a happy shaving equilibrium for a few days at least. If not this may be a very quick Excalibur session.

Soap today was Tabac (new) which provided a lovely slick lather.

Happy shaving all.

Excalibur lite - the trial continues.

I am sad to see that an entire month and a bit has passed since my last post.

I have had some interesting shaves in that last month or so and now will be struggling to recall them all.

Shaving has been a journey of constants and variants, until the last couple of days prep has been standard, hot shower, splash of water and lather on face. Brush swirls to the count of 20 each way (clockwise and anti-clockwise) lather on face, dip the tips and apply to each side twice for good lather.

As the headline suggests I have continued with the excalibur ish shaving. I am not going to put myself in the league of over a hundred uses from one blade shavers, but I have been using my blades until I consider they have failed. Consequently I have not used that many blades over the past month or so.

The blades that I have used have also been a bit of a go back over a few old blades. As above the Muhle blade I was hoping for a lot, I also started it on the Souplex razor where I instantly felt like I was back to square one. Razor on the end of a stick thing. Even with the milder Muhle, I persisted for a few days and the shaves got better but it did not feel that smooth. I switched to the Rockwell 6C and haven't looked back. On plate 6 this has been a stoic razor.

After the Muhle, I must have been having a bit of a lapse in judgement or perhaps the strong fresh lemon scent emanating from the bag of 12 Arko! sticks I bought mid last year to see out any future apocolypse had emboldened me somehow. Either way I went for a blade I swore I would never touch again and picked up a Derby Premium. Now I have rid my house of any Derby Extra, so they were never coming back but I thought the pool would freeze over before I tried a Derby again. But here I was, Derby Premium in a Rockwell 6C all ready for a shave. The shave was actually very nice. Not for the first time I had to eat many of my words that I have written in this journal and even in this post. It even gave me a few days of lovely shaves, but it didn't make a full week of shaves. Even so I have to admit the Derby premium was a nice blade.

I then moved to a Wizamet Iridium, this was a lovely blade and felt nice and solid for a good 7-8 days. While it still felt okay, I noticed the number of nicks on days 9 and 10 were increasing and rather than blame myself or anything I was doing I ditched the blade.

Which brings me (I think) to my current blade which is the BIC Chrome. This blade has been going now for about 12 days and is still going strong. I was a bit worried at day 7 when it was feeling a bit scratchy. It was at this point that I stumbled across a little thing that I may have stumbled across before, but well worth mentioning, light pressure, use very light pressure. I am not sure if anyone still reading this knows it but this is a great trick and one that I have now freshly discovered for the fourth time.

On trying to use as light a pressure as possible and keeping so light I was not sure it was actually shaving, the blade has now continued to 12 and feeling fine. I have to say at least three of the shaves I have had since going light on the pressure have been the closest I have been to a two pass baby bottom smooth shave that I have ever had.

I am enjoying revisiting the old blades I have had and not seen for some time and pushing them that bit further.

About six days ago as I was selecting my soap of the day, choice between Tabac (new), Haslinger Schafmilch, Proraso Green or Arko!, a chill ran down my spine. Not a metaphorical chill, an actual chill. It was cold, the seasons they are a turning and so I put the lid on the Proraso Green and its menthol chill and put it in the cupboard, filling the empty spot that I took the Cella Red out of to slide it into my autumn/winter rotation and what a lovely almond scented shave it was.

Now that we are in May I am looking forwrad to towel day and I will get to use one soap that I have now had in my collection for just under a year and not yet used. I have to say it has an odd smell to it but that is not the point, 42 by Barrister and Mann was purchased for the one reason only, and that is participating in Towel Day with my shaving habit.

As I am hoping to keep this soap going for some time, I don't think it is made anymore, I am not going to do my usual method of swirling brush in soap pot. I am instead going to dig out an almond sized chunk and lather in a bowl. Consequently I did a trial run of this with some Cella Red and then again with some Tabac. It feels very odd to be going back to bowl lathering and the sensation of putting lather on my face not developing it in situ is equally strange.

I think a couple more practices are required before I get to towel day but I guess I just need to make sure I don't panic.

Happy shaving all.

After the Muhle, I must have been having a bit of a lapse in judgement or perhaps the strong fresh lemon scent emanating from the bag of 12 Arko! sticks I bought mid last year to see out any future apocolypse had emboldened me somehow. Either way I went for a blade I swore I would never touch again and picked up a Derby Premium. Now I have rid my house of any Derby Extra, so they were never coming back but I thought the pool would freeze over before I tried a Derby again. But here I was, Derby Premium in a Rockwell 6C all ready for a shave. The shave was actually very nice. Not for the first time I had to eat many of my words that I have written in this journal and even in this post. It even gave me a few days of lovely shaves, but it didn't make a full week of shaves. Even so I have to admit the Derby premium was a nice blade.

As I am hoping to keep this soap going for some time, I don't think it is made anymore, I am not going to do my usual method of swirling brush in soap pot. I am instead going to dig out an almond sized chunk and lather in a bowl. Consequently I did a trial run of this with some Cella Red and then again with some Tabac. It feels very odd to be going back to bowl lathering and the sensation of putting lather on my face not developing it in situ is equally strange.
This with finding blades that failed you before and you trying it again and now it is an ok blade has happened to me so many times. I think the longer time we do this the more and more we will find that we can use most blades. that has been the case for me.

It was funny to read about how you went back to bowl lathering and it felt weird. I just did the same, but for another reason. I have a boar brush that needs breaking in and it is just too prickly for comfort to face lather with so I am bowl lathering with it and towel stropping it. Hopefully it will yield to me soon so I can go back to face lathering, which is what I prefer. However, it does provide me with bowl lathering practice, which is something that I am really bad at.

This with finding blades that failed you before and you trying it again and now it is an ok blade
I am almost, but only almost, thinking of sourcing some more Derby Extra's to see if I was too harsh the first time around. I think I will wait until my blade supply runs out. I am certianly not going to break my GRUYERE for Derby blades.

It was funny to read about how you went back to bowl lathering and it felt weird. I just did the same, but for another reason. I have a boar brush that needs breaking in and it is just too prickly for comfort to face lather with so I am bowl lathering with it and towel stropping it. Hopefully it will yield to me soon so I can go back to face lathering, which is what I prefer. However, it does provide me with bowl lathering practice, which is something that I am really bad at.
I was surprised at how odd it felt, I had originally loved the whole bowl lathering thing and was reluctant to try face now it all seems so unnecessary with the bowl. Although, I do also love the bowl I ended up with and it feels nice to be using it for more than holding my brush between shaves. I am sure after a few more bowl latherings it will be less awkward.

Good luck with boar, I love my Omega boar and at the beginning of April I thought I would do a few shaves with it, loved it so much it moved to weeks. Now back on my Mistura but the Omega Boar just keeps getting better.

kinda fun in a way for me since I truly want to know what my favs are and if they change
Late last year I committed to a few blades, not a major commitment, just the purchase of 50-100 blade lots for a few.

I was thinking of using the ones I enjoyed again for the excalibur lite but then saw the mass of tucks I tested initially sitting idle and thought what else am I going to do with them, may as well try them out again.

What is the worst that will happen, I still have plenty of room in my blade bin.

I look forward to hearing how your review goes @Ckmaui.

You can't stop the BIC blade, nobody can stop the BIC blade..

One good thing with posting more often is you need to remember less and the post length is also (hopefully) much less as well.

As the title hints at, today was day 14 of the BIC and with light pressure it gave me another great shave. Shave was standard prep and hot water to face. Soap for today was the Haslinger which I love the freshness of, it always leaves my face feeling clean and no residual oil etc. Especially now that the Cella Red is back on the list, that always leaves what feels like a coating on my skin, a nice sweet almond marzipan coating.

I love using the Haslinger, the only negative is that it seems to get thinner quicker. I have moved back to the Mistura brush and one thing I notice about this brush is the density of the bristles seems to pick up a lot more water when I dip it than other brushes. This is no problem for soaps like Arko!, Tabac and Cella which just seem to eat up the water and give me more thick lather. The Haslinger is fine but with a bit too much water seems to quickly get thin and runnier. Still a great soap though. For the sake of clarity, this only happens if I push it, my standard prep with Haslinger still returns a great lather in my opinion, YMMV.

Today was the BIC Chrome again and with the light pressure in the Rockwell 6C it easily glided over my face. It still seems like it is not doing anything at times but after going through my standard two passes I was done with no nicks, cuts or weepers.

I was short on time so quickly washed up and moved on, a little while later I was feeling my face and it was again near baby bottom smooth over most of my face. A lovely shave.

I wonder if this can match the King C Gillette?

Happy shaving all.

Day 15 BIC Chrome Platinum

Today's shave was a standard prep, hot shower, splash of hot water to face. I was dragged by my own curiosity to put down the Mistura brush and get out the RazoRock Big Bruce again. As I am practising bowl lathering again now I squished an almond sized piece of Tabac into the bowl and started swirling with my damp Big Bruce brush. Within a short time a lather was developing and a couple of quick tip dips to add a touch more water had the soap gone and lather prepared.

It still feels odd rubbing prepared lather onto the face, not lathering it on the face but with a bit of working in it was feeling okay. My shaving pattern remains constant with first pass North to South over all my face and neck and then second pass ear to nose on my face and then South to North on neck and under jaw.

Yesterday, when I started my shave I thought the blade may be done for, it felt terrible and I was concerned that it was going to do some damage. As I grabbed the head of the razor to remove the blade I realised I had not tightened it up before starting. After tightening it was again smooth. So today the first thing I did was confirm the head was tightly screwed on, at least the head of the razor was tightly screwed on anyway.

Lovely shave, no nicks cuts or weepers and a lot of lather washed out of the bowl at the end. Final result, damn fine shave.

Happy shaving all.

Day 16 BIC Chrome Platinum

This blade seems to still be going okay, perhaps a bit more ragged than it was at the start, but who isn't.

Today was a standard prep and standard passes. Soap was Arko! with an almond sized piece sliced off of the stick and squished into the bowl. Brush was the RazoRock Big Bruce and all bowl lathered.

I think if I was to scroll back through my posts that I would find this comment there already but the Big Bruce is a great bowl latherer. Pointing down into the bowl there are no issues with lather leak and the big flexible bristles whip the lather really quite nicely.

Overall another nice shave from the little blade, no nicks cuts or weepers and a damn fine shave to boot.

Happy shaving all.

Top Bottom