What's new

Beginning to end - my DE journey and search for a RFL

Day 9 and 10 Gillette Tech

Both of these shaves were with a Gillette Silver Blue blade, first shave Haslinger Shafmilch second shave Arko!. Both standard two passes, hot shower and splash of water preparation. I keep forgetting I have the Proraso pre-shave prep to use, one day.

Both shaves were beautiful and smooth. To think the first time I used this blade I had a gritty not good shave. No more, these were two lovely clean and smooth shaves. No nicks, cuts or weepers. Both shaves were damn fine shaves with hints of baby bottom smooth.

Day 11 Gillette Tech

Standard preparation of hot shower and splash of hot water to face. Soap was Tabac new formula lathered on face with Omega 106 boar brush. I have been using this brush consistently for about a week or so and it is a lovely brush to use, good backbone and with the long bristles and nice splay and soft feel. It does drip more than the Semogue Mistura and you can feel the lower density of bristles packed into the brush of the Omega.

Blade was a Wilkinson Sword (Chinese) and it performed well, lovely and smooth for both passes. I had one small weeper where I took the top off of a little lump and one nick on my jawline. From memory I think these blades have been the ones to nick me the most consistently. But they are also consistently smooth and clean. Final result despite the damage to the face was a damn fine shave.

Day 12 Gillette Tech

Standard preparation, two pass shave. Blade was a Kai, soap was Arko! and brush was again the Omega professional 106 boar. My process for Arko! is to wet face, dip tip of Arko! in water for about 20 seconds and then rub on face all over. I was then splashing more water on the face to hydrate the Arko! but I haven't been doing that recently, not sure why I stopped. Anyway, I then lathered on face with the damp brush and did three tip dips of the brush per side. Final result was a lovely slick lather. Probably enough lather for three to four passes but I only did the two.

Shave was acceptable, Kai blade started well and felt generally smooth but not super sharp or super clean, a bit rough in places (feeling like it was heading toward tugging). I have to counter this with the fact that I am currently only using blades I liked so the level of rough is far from what I have had with blades I didn't like. Comparatively there is a less clean feel but in reality it was still a very acceptable level of comfort.

No nicks, cuts or weepers an overall solid shave rating a damn fine shave very close to baby bottom smooth in directions shaved.

I don't want to jinx myself but prior to this month my shaves with the Tech had been less than great and I was starting to wonder if this was not a good razor for me. This month has so far been nothing but good shaves. Lovely little razor again and so easy to maneuver around, although hard at times to keep low pressure on.

Happy shaving all.

Day 13 Gillette Tech

Today was the start of the sharp-smooth blade range and kicked off with the Gillette 7 O'Clock black. Shave prep was standard with Arko! for the soap. Two passes with the first being with the grain North to South and then the second across the grain on the face, ear to nose down to jawline and then against the grain South to North on neck and under jaw.

Shave was nice and smooth, good lather was provided by the Arko! and Omega boar brush and the blade cut cleanly through all I could put before it.

Nice smooth shave with no nicks, cuts or weepers. Final result was a little disappointing though, probably still a damn fine shave but not as smooth as some.

Day 14 and 15 Gillette Tech

Yesterday and today were the same prep, same passes and same brush. Yesterday was Tabac new formula and today was Haslinger Schafmilch.

Blade for both days was the Gillette 7 O'Clock green. Very smooth shaves on both days and a solid damn fine shave tending to baby bottom smooth on both.

I did remember to use the Proraso pre-shave today. It is a strange feeling substance, kind of smooth but chalky. A bit strange putting soap on top of the pre-shave which feels a bit like soap. Shave was exceptionally smooth though and the menthol burn throughout was nice and refreshing. It has left a bit of a residue on the face which I am in two minds about. It does feel smooth and nourished, but I also like the feeling I get from Haslinger and the fresher cleaner feel.

Will keep using intermittently I think, not sure how it would go if I used Arko! and rubbed it ont op, I don't think much Arko! would grip on, I guess I will see.

Small weeper today but was gone after final wash. Damn fine shave nearly baby bottom smooth.

Happy shaving all.

Day 16 Gillette Tech

Today was a standard prep, hot shower, splash of water to face. Soap was Arko! rubbed liberally on the face before lathering with the Omega boar. Blade for today was the Personna Lab Blue.

Shave was two passes, North-South with the grain for the first pass, across the grain ear to nose on face and then against the grain South-North on neck and under jaw.

I don't clearly remember the Lab Blue, I think I have only used it a couple of times. Today's shave was interesting as the blade on the initial run felt like there was resistance but not really tugging as such. If I went over an area twice the feeling was gone. I initially wondered if my lather wasn't slick enough as it was that kind of dead resistance but skin still felt slick. There was also low blade noise so I wasn't sure if the blade was cutting cleanly or not. Given when I went over any area for a second time in the same direction the resistance was gone I thought maybe it is just cutting cleanly.

After the second pass and wash up there were no weepers, cuts or nicks. Final result now is a near baby bottom smooth shave, certainly damn fine shave plus plus.

An odd shave, blade felt odd, not pulling not tugging, no increase in sensitivity like the hairs were being yanked out. The feeling is almost like the blade was thicker, just as sharp as any other sharp-sharp blade but thicker and so more resistant through sheer bulk. I am not suggesting that any actual difference in the thin razor blade (if there even is any difference) would have an impact big enough for me to feel to this extent but that is the best I can describe it.

Other than being odd, a nice shave and great result.

Happy shaving all.

Day 17 Gillette Tech

This was a standard prep with the addition of Proraso pre-shave lotion. I have been using this more regularly when I load the soap on the brush rather than using a stick like Arko! or Tabac original (which I only have in a stick). Soap was Haslinger Schafmilch. This was day two of the Personna Lab Blue.

Loading soap with the Omega boar brush was 20 swirls anticlockwise and then 20 swirls clockwise in the tub. I pick up the lather left in the bowl on my finger and rub on my face and then lather on face with the brush. 2-3 tip dips of water per side. Haslinger has been fine with only two dips, Arko! and Tabac seem to take a bit more water.

Shave was lovely and smooth, no hint of thick blade making me think it was probably dry lather giving me the odd feelings shaving with the personna.

Final result damn fine shave tending toward baby bottom smooth.

Days 18 and 19 Gillette Tech

Day 18 was a Sunday shave, I missed my shave on Saturday so this was a two day growth shave. Standard prep, Haslinger soap, Proraso pre-shave, Omega boar brush.

Blade was the last of the sharp-smooth blades which is the Astra Super Stainless.

Menthol cool-burn from the pre-shave is nice in the warm summer mornings down in Oz. The Astra SS blade had no issue slicing through two days growth and the lather made everything nice and slick and easy. A simple two passes with the grain all over for pass one, across the grain ear to nose on face and against the grain on neck and under jaw finished up a lovely smooth shave.

Final result was baby bottom smooth in directions shaved and I think as close to baby bottom smooth as I could get with two passes.

No nicks, cuts or weepers.

Day 19 was a repeat of day 18 just one day's growth though and Tabac new formula was the soap. Another lovely shave. The Astra SS was just as smooth and clean cutting as it had been on the previous day.

Final result was no nicks cuts or weepers with a damn fine shave plus plus very near baby bottom smoothness.

Nice combination of razor and blade.

Tomorrow will be the sharp-sharp blades which include Permasharp, BIC chrome platinum and Feather and possibly the Gillette Nacet.

Happy shaving all.

Day 20 Gillette Tech

Today was a Proraso extravaganza!! Standard prep otherwise, hot shower, splash of water to face, Proraso pre-shave to face. Brush was Omega boar and soap for today was Proraso green. The menthol fumes on lathering were intoxicating and as refreshing as a stiff slap to the face.

Blade for today was a BIC Chrome Platinum.

The lather from the Proraso soap I think was saved by the pre-shave, it would have otherwise been a bit thin. Not that I over watered it, I just don't think it is as thick a soap as the Haslinger, Tabac and Arko!. This was highlighted when starting the second pass where I was concerned there may not be sufficient lather for a second pass, also a clear indication I probably needed to use more soap. Normally with the other three soaps listed there is enough for three to four passes easily.

Blade performed well and felt sharp and smooth throughout. Final result was a damn fine shave. I had one small weeper under the jaw which required a small amount of Proraso styptic gel which rounded out the Proraso performance.*

Overall not a bad experience.

Happy shaving all.

*This post was not sponsored by Proraso. Your results with Proraso may vary. Please consider your own personal circumstance before using any Proraso products. PersistentlyBlunt and any associated entities will not be held liable for any adverse reaction you may, or may not, have to the use of Proraso products including any failure to reduce the level of stubble. If you have any adverse reaction to Proraso soaps, you should immediately stop using them and consider switching to Arko!. The purchase of new Proraso products by any members currently doing GRUYERE is prohibited until after 31 December 2024. If this post has reached you incorrectly and you have no interest in Proraso or shaving then you should consider clicking more carefully on the internet in future.

Day 21 Gillette Tech

Today was a no Proraso day, soap was Arko! and blade was day two of the BIC Chrome Platinum. Omega boar is still doing the brush honors and rest of preparation was standard hot shower, splash of water to face, rub Arko! liberally around face and lather on face with a damp brush.

Lather was smooth and enough was produced for 4-8 passes.

Blade performed okay, the testing of the BIC and general comments tend to indicate that it gets sharper after the first shave. I felt like I was waiting for this to happen for both passes. It wasn't a bad shave and blade was still sharp but it was not as silky smooth as I had hoped.

Final result was a damn fine shave with no nicks, cuts or weepers.

Day 22 Gillette Tech

Today was the turn of the PermaSharp blade. Proraso was back for the pre-shave and Haslinger took on the main soap duties. A swirl to the count of 20 clockwise and 20 anti-clockwise loaded the damp Omega boar with enough soap for the two passes and beyond.

The shave was smooth although I did have more blade noise than I thought I should. Despite that it felt smoother than the BIC of yesterday.

Two passes, standard pattern, North South with the grain for the first pass and then across the grain on face, ear to nose followed by against the grain South to North on neck and under jaw.

Final result was a nick, weeper and cut free damn fine shave. I don't seem to be able to get the sharp-sharp blades to the same level of face smooth final result that I had from the sharp-smooth blades.

Tomorrow is another day.

Happy shaving all.

I don't know where the last 6 days or this month have gone.

Gillette Tech Days 23 and 24

These were both with the same PermaSharp blade, lathered with the Omega boar brush and following standard prep of hot shower, splash of water and two passes for the shave North-South first pass with the grain and across the grain on face ear to nose and then against the grain South-North on neck and under jaw.

Soap for the first shave was Proraso pre-shave and Cella Red for the soap. I had forgotten how good Cella Red is as a shaving soap. Standard swirls clockwise and then anti-clockwise to the count of 20 each way. Lather was thick and two tip dips of the brush per side was enough to get a lovely hydrated smooth lather and enough in the brush for at least four passes.

With Cella Red, in the tub, it is one of the nicest smelling soaps around. The sweet almond marzipan scent has often lead to me taking the lid off the tub at random times to just have a quick sniff. However, on the odd occasion when lathered on the face, I very occasionally get a scent that reminds me of vomit. Very off-putting and not something I always get but every now and then I get it wafting up into my olfactory sensors. The underlying Proraso dispelled any chance of that happening.

Shave was nice and smooth, no nicks, cuts or weepers but only just a damn fine shave.

Day 24 was the same except no pre-shave was used. Thankfully there were no off-putting smells during the shave and no nicks, cuts or weepers either. Final result and final shave with this blade was again just a damn fine shave (which is not a bad thing) but indicates either a blade issue or more likely a technique issue that I am just not getting quite right.

Days 25 to 28 Gillette Tech

The last four days of the month went to a Feather blade. Not sure if subconsciously I was gearing up for one blade February or not but I decided to push the Feather to four days.

Prep was the same as the previous two days and I was enjoying my new found love of Cella Red. All four shaves were done with no pre-shave and thankfully there has been no hint of off-putting olfactory overpowering odours.

The Cella Red lather really is a very nice and consistent and easily formed lather.

First shave was as expected, very smooth, slight feeling of being on the edge of something very sharp but held it together to get through without any nicks, cuts or weepers. Final result was a damn fine shave.

Next two shaves were nearly identical, not quite the same feeling of crazy sharp but still smooth, sharp and no indication of loss of cutting ability. Still Cella Red, and final result was still a nice damn fine shave.

Today being the last day of January and the last day of the Feather did not see any other change to the prep or process. Boar brush, Cella Red, no pre-shave, hot shower and splash of water. Same pattern for two passes.

The blade felt a lot less sharp today, no actual tugging or pulling but a real feel that the blade was having to try a bit harder to get through the whiskers.

Even though I have been trying to keep a reduced pressure on the razor and blade, given the rougher feel, I backed it off a little more and remained more conscious of how much pressure I was applying.

Shave passed effortlessly and before I knew it I was halfway through the second pass. Even though I hit a small lump I currently have on my jawline a couple of times quite hard, the shave ended with no nicks, cuts or weepers.

As I type this a couple of hours post shave, the result is a damn fine shave near baby bottom smooth. A really nice result.

I think the learning is use less pressure.

There will be a slight break in testing as tomorrow will be the beginning of one blade February and I am going to give a King C Gillette blade a chance to prove itself and see if I can take it through a full month.

Happy shaving all.

One blade in February days 1-6

It must be a six day cycle kind of thing.

Anyway, February is the first time I will be pushing a blade past 4 days in my testing so far.

The blade I am using is a King C Gillette and so far this month it has been in a Souplex razor. The Souplex is an open comb razor from I believe around the 1930s. It has a head and comb profile very similar to the Gillette Old that I have thanks to @Chef455.

Shave has been very standard so far, hot shower and splash of hot water preparation, Semogue Mistura brush used throughout to lather, until today, Cella Red soap. Today I broke out the Haslinger Schafmilch soap. Standard two passes, with the grain North to South for the first pass and then across the grain on face going from ear to nose down to jaw line and then against the grain South to North on neck and under jawline.

I have to say I initially did not think the Souplex was for me or indeed a safe razor to have in the house. Having just completed a month of using the Gillette Tech exclusively, I thought my technique was going well and the shaves were getting quite consistently smooth. So when trying the Souplex it was somewhat frustrating as it would have moments of what felt like smooth shaving followed by long sections where it felt like I had just stuck a bare razor blade to the top of a stick. For most of the shaves on days one through four I had the predominant feeling that I was dragging the razor edge over my face. Not smooth, no feeling of any razor comb or head, just a razor blade.

Despite the feeling, the results were good and I had not had any major cuts or nicks so I persisted. However, it was at the end of day four that I thought this is not for me and I was certain that at anytime the blade would bite deep. So, halfway through my second pass on day four, I decided I would go very light on the pressure, even if it didn't shave to at least take the cream off just to make it to the end without serious injury. I am sure you know what happened, and given my recent focus on pressure I certainly should have known. But, yes, shaving is a process of rediscovering many things that you remember you had already discovered some months ago but had since forgotten (for me at least). The second half of my face where I lightened up on the pressure was as smooth as silk, both in the shaving porcess and in the final result.

So days five and six with the Souplex was a focus on very light pressure. Not surprisingly the Souplex has been a smooth razor and given me two lovely near baby bottom smooth shaves.

In all the excitement and horror and joy that has been using the Souplex, I really haven't thought about the razor blade as yet but that is probably a good thing given it still has at least another 23 days to go.

Happy shaves to you all.

One blade in February days 7 and 8.

Yesterday and today have been the same process and largely the same shave with the one difference being yesterday saw the return of Arko! to the face and today was back to Cella. Not for any real reason both worked beautifully. Otherwise same prep of hot shower, splash of water and lathering with the still wonderful Semogue Mistura.

The Semogue for me is a nice feeling brush, good dense knot but also because of the dense knot, I think, on dipping the tips to hydrate the lather, picks up (and holds) considerably more water than my other brushes. This means that I require less dips per side, providing a faster lather process.

Trying to continually remind myself to stay light on the pressure I managed to get through both shaves with a nice smooth feel. Overall some great shaves and a good introduction to the Souplex.

Yesterday was cut, nick and weeper free, today was besmirched by one small nick as I hit the bottom of my Adam's apple at the wrong angle. Frustrating but cleared in wash up.

Tomorrow I will move on from the Souplex as at 9 days I will be more than double where I have taken any other blade and feel I should continue the testing in razor/s that I know to get a better indication if the shave feel is razor or blade induced.

This begs the question of which razor to progress with... Old Type - a bit too similar... Rockwell - I haven't used for a while and is looking lonely in the cupboard (den)... vintage Gillette - strong contender and adjustable could be interesting to try... vintage pre Krona Schick - who knows... I could just use a different one each day but then the consistency of testing over technique may drift. I am sure the shaving gods will guide me as the time approaches.

The blade so far seems to be going well.

Happy shaving all.

So days five and six with the Souplex was a focus on very light pressure. Not surprisingly the Souplex has been a smooth razor and given me two lovely near baby bottom smooth shaves.
The Souplex is my favourite OC and probably my favourite razor. I find it the smoothest OC I've yet used and it's very Tech like in ease of use. Supremely efficient.

I suspect there are some subtle differences in head design to that of the Old.

Good show!

Last edited:
Day 9 - One blade in February - King C Gillette

Today's shave was a standard prep hot shower, splash of water and Arko! for the soap. Stick applied directly to face and lathered there with the Semogue Mistura. Lovely lather, very slick and enough for several passes.

Standard two passes with the grain North to South for the first and then across the grain ear to nose on the face down to the jawline and then against the grain South to North on neck and under jaw.

Razor for today was the Rockwell 6s. It had been looking very lonely sitting in the den and I couldn't resist dragging it out again. To make things a little more interesting and with my new found confidence I put it up to plate 6. A higher and more aggressive setting than I have regularly used on the 6s before. Remembering all the way back to yesterday I focused on a low pressure shave, not worrying about whether the razor was shaving, just keeping light pressure.

The shave was lovely and smooth and on the first pass rinse it felt pretty good. Second pass was equally smooth until I got to the transition from cheek to top lip and the slight dip in the skin at this point. I felt the razor grip a little so stopped and pulled back, no blood good so went to go again and hit the same spot and bit in again, still no blood so all good. Focus on not going over the same spot, hit the same spot again, pull back and see the slightest of red begin to seep. Okay completely avoid the area and finish the shave with no further issues.

Final result is a damn fine near baby bottom smooth shave with the one nick. Nick cleared in wash up and the application of one Osma alum allumettes.

The blade is still feeling fine, no indication of any loss of sharpness and still feeling smooth. Was a great shave in the 6S and plate 6 felt nice to shave with.

Happy shaving to you all.

Day 10 - One blade in February - King C Gillette

Before I go any further halfway through my hot shower prep this morning I suddenly had a cold chill run through me and panic set in. I had a sinking feeling that I had written in my journal that I had shaved yesterday with a Rockwell 6S. When it is actually a 6C. So while I have confirmation that I did indeed get it wrong yesterday, I can now set the record straight that I do not own a Rockwell 6S and shaved with a Rockwell 6C. All other details are the same.

Today was a synthetic Saturday with the Razorock Big Bruce coming out of the dark to lather up some Proraso Green soap. Standard prep and passes otherwise and Rockwell 6C was the razor with the King C Gillette blade. Soap loaded out of the tub with the swirl clockwise to the count of 20 and then anticlockwise to the count of 20. Three tip dips per side to generate a lot of lovely slick lather.

The shave itself was lovely, with the Rockwell 6C still on plate 6 it was smooth and maintaining light pressure gave me a lovely near baby bottom smooth result. I managed to avoid the same nick as yesterday and finished with a clean no nick, no cut, no weeper shave.

Other than the lack of any feel of scrub or scritch, I have to admit that the synthetic did well. It really doesn't pick up water as freely as the Semogue Mistura or my Omega boar. But it was perfectly adequate and did the job easily.

The blade is still going solidly, no feeling of lack of smooth or sharp and the results are very good.

If this keeps up I may be pushing deeper into the aggressive razor settings and pushing more blades to a full month. So much testing still to do.

May you all have happy shaves and a prosperous Lunar New Year of the Dragon.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Anyone else wondering where @PersistentlyBlunt is headed after he figures out which blades make him happiest? I never want to feed acquisition disorders, but I'll speculate that a few razors might be the next consideration. After all at a certain point if one is considering more aggressive razors one must try a SE, slant, shavette (preferably Artist Club)...

J, great posts as always. Happy shaves!

Days 11 and 12 February one blade challenge - King C Gillette

Day 11 was a repeat of day 10, it was such a nice shave I had to see if I could do it again. Thankfully, I could. Standard prep (without the panic this time) and Proraso green soap loaded from bowl with the Razorock Big Bruce then lathered on face.

Standard two passes and I was done, no nicks cuts or weepers and another near baby bottom smooth shave. The blade did not show any signs of bluntness or concern.

Today was a similar shave but Arko! was the soap. Arko! is rubbed on face and then lathered with the Big Bruce on face to provide a lovely slick lemony lather. Razor was the Rockwell 6C and plate 6 was locked in.

Across the two passes the blade and razor felt smooth, lather was lovely and slick and was shaping for another great shave. I did however get a couple of small nicks, both cleared in wash up after alum addition, but they were there. I did feel like I was getting too comfortable with the smooth slick shave and had to lighten up on the pressure a couple of times as I fell into old habits. So not sure if the increased nicks are caused by this (likely) or if the blade is starting to lose some sharpness.

Final result was great and a damn fine shave plus plus, possibly not as close to baby bottom smooth as prior shaves.

Thank you @Chef455 for your reply and for being so considerate as to not feed any acquisition disorder.... 🤔

This last few weeks and testing the one blade in February has been firing the neurons in my mind that say 'how long could you get out of a blade'... while the acquisition side of my brain says 'but if we tested each blade for a month we would take years just to test the rest of the current collection'... I am stuck in the middle just trying to remember that light pressure equals good.

Thankfully still being a devotee of GRUYERE I have a few months to think it over and read more posts for lots of shiny razor inspiration.

Happy shaving to you all.

Day 13 - One blade in Feb - King C Gillette

Having put it out into the world and to the shaving gods that I was looking to explore more aggression (in my razors), I pondered last night while planning this mornings shave what I could do to promote this and appease the gods. The Rockwell on plate 6 is giving me lovely shaves and I will certainly be returning to have more in the near future but plate six is where it tops out. I do have two vintage Gillette slim adjustable razors so I thought these go to 9 (not that there is any direct correlation between the numbered plates and numbers on the Gillette).

So today was the Gillette Slim Adjustable with the King C Gillette blade, still using the synthetic Big Bruce (which I have to admit is growing on me) and Tabac new formula out of a bowl. Standard hot shower splash of water preparation, with brush bowl loaded and face lathered requiring two tip dips per side to provide a nice smooth lather. Quite a strong tobacco scent from the Tabac today, sometimes heavy on the tobacco sometimes heavy on the more floral scents.

The shave started on level 6 of the razor, I think previously the highest I had gone was 5. I maintained a light pressure and the first pass with the grain all over passed easily and while shaving well, did not feel as clean as the Rockwell had. So for the second pass I increased the razor to 7. This pass is across the grain on the face from ear to nose down to jawline and then against the grain on neck and under jaw. This felt like a closer shave and certainly more aggressive. I caught the top of the lump on the chin and got a slight trickle of red but cleared and stopped in wash up and alum application.

Final result was a solid damn fine shave. Only the one nick and the blade is still going very strong.

With my new found tolerance to aggression, as long as I remember to maintain light pressure, I may push it to levels 8 and 9 tomorrow. With any luck in the words of @Guido75 it should be easy peasy.

Happy shaves to you all.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I did question whether or not @PersistentlyBlunt might need to persue some more "aggressive" razors, and I do regret opening that can of worms a little bit. Certainly his rabbit hole to hop over or dive into as he sees fit. I genuinely believe that what we are seeing is a refinement in skill and a good feel for the equipment on hand. So no "need" to acquire anything new and I am glad to see a certain mastery of hardware coming to fruition.

I do regret opening that can of worms a little bit.
Please do not regret any suggestions. I am old enough to make my own decisions, although with my aged and failing eyesight I may accidentally fall down the odd rabbit hole, accidentally of course.

I think the forum would be reduced if everyone was afraid to suggest anything to anyone for fear of leading them astray.

Acknowledging that I am tempting the shaving gods to set me straight on my next shave. I agree that I think what I am seeing is an advance in my skill through experience resulting in more consistent lathering and shaving pressure/angle giving more range of ability and better overall results.

While it feels like longer, I am coming up to my first year anniversary of the start of my DE journey. It has been the assistance both directly and indirectly of Badger & Blade contributors through reading threads, getting feedback and advice that has got me this far. Don't get me wrong I have a long way to go yet.

I am glad to see a certain mastery of hardware coming to fruition.
Thank you @Chef455 for your large part in pushing this forward through your PIF. As you are aware I am very grateful and it did, especially through the little badger brush, open my eyes to what is possible. Not to mention none of the Rockwell shaving would have been possible or at least as likely to happen if you hadn't so graciously sent me yours.

The Arko! stick you sent is now long gone with the second stick that it was crushed to the top of now almost gone as well. But don't panic, I restocked (12 stick box) last year and have sufficient to get me through GRUYERE at least.

Toward the end of last year I think I thought I would be a mild to mid aggressive razor type of person for life. Thinking back it was the Slim Adjustable shaving late last year with the Feather blade when I had an out of the box fantastic shave that woke me up to light pressure and opened up the use of sharp blades on aggressive settings.

While plate 6 on the Rockwell scared me when it first landed in my den, even plate 5 seemed excessive, the shaves I have had with plate 6 this month have been sensational.

So yes I see more experimentation and trial and error continuing in the foreseeable future.

I think the biggest regret that I have from this journey is the cringe I get when I think back to many of the comments I put in this thread about bad blades and soaps and realising (as I should have known then) that it was mostly my bad technique and not the hardware at all (I envisage any experienced shavers who have been reading this thread nodding their heads and muttering 'we knew that already').

In addition to focusing on experimenting and improving my use of razors, blades, aggression levels, pressure, technique, angle, brushes and soap, the only other area I feel has drifted off over the past year has been my move from bowl lathering to face lathering. I don't think I will ever permanently move away from face lathering but I feel a shaving skill I have not developed is the bowl lathering. To the point that my shaving bowl is more often used as an improvised dog water bowl in the mornings after our walk. The dog has also progressed, having now grown accustomed to the Arko! stick being left out in the open, but does still take an unhealthy interest in my boar brush when it is out of the cupboard (den).

Perhaps I should do an Apr-bowl month to get my bowl lathering up to scratch or at least closer to consistent. Or maybe I missed the boat and February should have been the Super-Bowl month...

Wow this got long quickly.

Happy shaves.

Top Bottom