What's new

How many passes during a shave do you make?

I am a one pass, 90% WTG person. I go XTG, pretty much, along the underside of my jaw. I have a moderate beard and things look clean to me when I am done, although I can feel a little stubble left behind in certain areas. A second pass would clean that up, but it wouldn't look any better, and I'd rather save my face the strain.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Is there a right or wrong way?

Yes and no. :) Lots of right ways; only a few wrong ones. You'd know the difference because "wrong" causes bleeding.

Terms first: I generally use "pass" to indicate a set of "strokes" that all go in the same direction until I have shaved all the real estate and change directions for the next pass.

That said, if you can get a shave you like with one pass -- no matter whether WTG, XTG or ATG -- then that's right for you. Rock it, man.

Some people do two passes. I'm one of them. WTG then ATG and it's pretty smooth; pick up a couple places I missed and done. I personally find that doing an XTG pass causes more irritation than hair reduction, so I gave it up.

I see guys around here who do four or more passes, including XTG in both directions. If that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

If you're a one-pass-and-done guy, then give yourself a hot cup of coffee and a pat on the back; there are guys here who would kill to be able to shave that fast.

O.H.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yes and no. :) Lots of right ways; only a few wrong ones. You'd know the difference because "wrong" causes bleeding.

Terms first: I generally use "pass" to indicate a set of "strokes" that all go in the same direction until I have shaved all the real estate and change directions for the next pass.

That said, if you can get a shave you like with one pass -- no matter whether WTG, XTG or ATG -- then that's right for you. Rock it, man.

Some people do two passes. I'm one of them. WTG then ATG and it's pretty smooth; pick up a couple places I missed and done. I personally find that doing an XTG pass causes more irritation than hair reduction, so I gave it up.

I see guys around here who do four or more passes, including XTG in both directions. If that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

If you're a one-pass-and-done guy, then give yourself a hot cup of coffee and a pat on the back; there are guys here who would kill to be able to shave that fast.

O.H.
I'm one of those guys who do two XTG passes.... though I don't relather with a brush. I keep some extra lather from my shaving brush in my left hand and use that for the extra XTG pass in the opposite direction....

I don't think of myself as chasing a BBS shave, but my goal is to feel no whiskers when I apply the slick Metro Gel my dermatologist prescribed for me. I know it isn't a true "BBS" shave because I still remember what our granddaughter's skin felt like when she was born.. and even now, she turned 1 on July 30th.... My skin will never be that soft or smooth.. no matter what I do.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I do 3 passes (WTG-XTG-XTG). That last pass is a hybrid between XTG and ATG.

If it doesn't work at all with the razor/blade combo, I would stop there. That rarely happens.

I do not think there's a guaranteed formula. Some can do 1 pass and be happy with the results and others might go up to 4 (or more).

I tried 4 passes but it's too much for me (I shaved until I didn't hear anything catching the blade). With 3 passes, I usually get a BBS shave. At the moment, I'm experimenting with new blades and I rotate 5 razors (each razor will use that new blade once). I am trying to figure out which blade works best for me.

Two to three pass every other day shaver. I do go for BBS. My daily razor has changed to an Ever Ready Lather Catcher.

Can anyone get BBS on a one to two pass, touch ups included?

For sure, you will get an answer - YES. But, I personally do not believe that a man with a real beard can achieve BBS in 2 passes! Actually, I'm sure it can't!
I agree with you.

Shaving actual facial hair all the way down to a smooth shave in two passes? No way.

Clean shaven to BBS in two passes?Yes. Some replies before mine, I believe confirmed two passes BBS.

I can get two pass BBS, but with slight irritation. I skip a few days afterwards to allow my skin to recover.

Most days if I want BBS I will do a third ATG pass. I my opinion, ATG is the key to BBS.

I agree with you.

Shaving actual facial hair all the way down to a smooth shave in two passes? No way.

Clean shaven to BBS in two passes?Yes. Some replies before mine, I believe confirmed two passes BBS.

I can get two pass BBS, but with slight irritation. I skip a few days afterwards to allow my skin to recover.

Most days if I want BBS I will do a third ATG pass. I my opinion, ATG is the key to BBS.
Categorically, without ATG it is impossible to get BBS.
In addition, the definition BBS, everyone interprets it as the devil reads the gospel.
I continue to maintain that true BBS, with two passes is impossible!

Top Bottom