What's new

32 Shaves - One Blade

One of our members, Teeedoc has just reported that he is up to 32 shaves with one Gillette Swede blade. Wow, congratulations!

To my mind, this has to be a record, but I am curious about the maximum number of shaves anyone here has managed with one blade?

Has anyone achieved more than 32?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Congrats on 32 shaves on a blade.

What's par for your face? :lol:

Well 32 is a good number, but 30 or 31 would be better. That way you can get a new blade each month. Now that is a super affordable shaving.

However, do remember the days of Mach3 and I was going 2-3wks sometimes 4wks (actually I would lose track). On special occasions when I needed a great shave, I would simply get a new cartridge and keep it for the long haul. However, this is completely different so congrats Treedoc.

My own Derby longevity test still on day 10 (today). But don't see the point of pushing past 2wks. for myself.

I change my blades...Derby and or Swedes every three days..past that and I'm askin' for it. A heavy beard is not a blessing.

Regards,

I just got 1 week on a Feather. Now I feel like maybe I didn't have to change it. It was still doing an ok job, but a week seemed like a long time.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
My 213th shave with the same blade.

Now that's a sick pic. The guy isn't even holding the razor correctly, talk about bad form. He must have let a viscous cat get too close since there's no blade in that thing. :biggrin:

I've been able to get more than 50 from a DE blade using DE hones and DE stroppers - but it stopped being fun, and was kinda a waste (since the price of all the DE strops/hones etc would have bought me hundreds of blades) so I stopped the experiment. Somewhere on the forum there should be a thread about it with some pictures.

My final thought was basically this - if you're going to hone/strop blades, don't play around with a DE, get a straight razor. The selling point of DE's is the inexpensive, disposable blades. :smile:

To be honest that's my feeling as well. I mean if it's working really smoothly, great but doing it just to do it, these are called disposable blades for a reason. :biggrin:

But whatever the reason, good luck! :clover:

Why? well..., why not? I just wanted to see how many shaves I could get,
as long as they are close and comfortable. I am up to 34 now and I can honestly say that the last shave is perfectly close, no effort or tugging evident.
I am not trying to save money, nor am I afraid of a new blade, it's just curiosity. I think that most men throw out their blades too soon, (men with heavy beards excepted), out of mere habit when perhaps all that was wrong was either a 'bad shave day' or poor prep. I used to do this too but now I find that if I have a bad shave one day it will be followed by a good shave the next day if I am meticulous with the prep. I should say that I have not had a bad shave with this particular blade at all.
Yes Timmy, they are called disposable for a reason and I will dispose of it when it is done giving good shaves, I am merely curious to see how many that will be. BTW, thank you for your good will which is reciprocated!
John.

Sorry Treedoc can't catch up, I only pushed my Derbys to 12 days, there was some dragging. But another reason, I just gave up is that I wanted to try a Feather for the 1st time. Will go back to push the Derby longevity after this Feather longevity test (today is day #1).

Top Bottom